The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

90 recommendations?

Terry

:bugeyes::toocool: Terry, I wish I lived close to civilization so I could try em out...I'm think I'm going to try to find a used elmarit.
Actually as I was reading this thread I thought that was a good suggestion. I liked that lens when I was first looking at 90's and bought the macro which I ended up not keeping. The built in hood is quite nice and it isn't much slower and the price should be right. There should be no trouble finding them. When I was first buying lenses used 90 elmarits were very plentiful.

S

Sean_Reid

I've tested a good number of 90s for reviews and the good news is that there are a lot of great choices out there. Also, the second sample of the Zeiss I tested was stellar.

Cheers,

Sean

irakly

Sean, I agree about the 85. If you got one from Zeiss, we may be even talking about the same lens. USA I am not sure if it's conical shape is the most ergonomic solution, but, on the other hand, it shifts weight balance more into a camera body, which is a good thing.

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Irakly,

Yes, both samples I tested came from Zeiss. The first one was pre-production and it was way out of adjustment. The second one though, production level....wow. Those results will be in the 90 Summarit test.

So we may have both tested the same lens. As a rule, I haven't seen much sample variation at all in the production Zeiss lenses.

Cheers,

Sean

irakly

Sean, what really impressed me with all the lenses (they sent me everything except the 15) was how similar, almost identical in operation they all were. Kind of like Contax 645 lineup, but even more so.

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Irakly,

They are, indeed, very consistent in their design. All in all, I'm usually impressed with Zeiss these days.

Cheers,

Sean

robsteve

Subscriber
I am going to offer a slightly different reasoning for choosing the 90mm. I seldom use the 90mm, but when I do, I want the best quality. For that I would suggest the 90mm APO Summicron. Used they are not much more than the 90mm Summarit and you have stunning quality even at f2. The 90mm Elmarit-M is a nice lens too, but the APO has more punch to the image. I have owned both and I prefer the 90mm APO.

irakly

Irakly -
Did you ever write an article on the Zeiss lenses?
I wrote the first part. It's about 18 and 25. It will be published on Lexar site in a few days. The next one will be about 28 and 35. After that I am planning on doing a comparative review on pre-asph 50 summilux and 50 sonnar. Leica seems to be interested in me doing one for 75 cron versus 85 sonnar. That probably will be the last one. Unless of course Zeiss eventually sends me the 15.

docrjay

@ Irakly

I saw your review on the zeiss lenses but I wasn't able to locate your review of the 28 and 85. Where they posted?

hdrmd

Mike: I have an old silver Elmarit 2.8 from 1965 that i like. It is sharp and well broken-in. There is something very pleasing about the way it feels and shoots. Probably, you can find one for a reasonable price. DR

W

wilsonlaidlaw

Take a serious look at the latest 90/2.8 Elmarit (which was just discontinued in favor of the Summarit).

In size they are very similar, however I give the advantage to the Elmarit with its built in hood.

I honestly believe the Elmarit gives better image quality out to the corners of a full frame (ie: film) and even on the M8. Mine seemed to also edge out the Summarit in its ability to render fine details and a larger tonal range.

It is like the Summarit in ease of focus, since they are both geared with a short throw.

Best,

Ray
+ 1 for the Elmarit-M. I also have a 75 Summarit. The hood is a total pain, with the lens cap falling off all the time. I am not too enamoured of the way it draws either. The 90 Summarit is very similar. The final version Elmarit-M draws beautifully. It is even sharper, if anything, than the 90 Summicron, much lighter and a fraction of the price. To get a disinterested view, have a look at Sean Reid's take on this at ReidReviews.com A paid site but well worth the money in my view.

Wilson

thrice

I agree, the 90mm Elmarit-M is a stunner. My only annoyance is I bought a used chrome version, in like-new condition... So new that the focusing is still very heavy and really needs to be broken in. The chrome version is also rather heavy, but I greatly prefer silver/chrome lenses, and whether people admit it or not, looks play a part in camera/lens choices.

I prefer the rendering to the 90 Apo, which I previously owned in R mount.

Sorry about the horrid jpeg re-compression, my site is being re-done so I hosted the file on photobucket.