The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New RF countdown......(Canon?)......

Sharokin

It's amazing no one has built a digital version of the Contax G2 yet. I'd be the first in line for one of these whether it's built by Canon, Nikon, Zeiss, or Voigtlander.

ashwinrao1

Early April fools, dude. That Jeff Ascough guy has a sense of humor! Love it...Magnesium alloy shutter? hahahah...what about the old cloth ones instead! It's definitely a joke....

L

Let_Biogons_Be_Biogons

I would point out that there has been a completed Contax G3 sitting on the shelf at Kyocera a few years now. Supposedly it was packed with new innovations in AF electronic rangefinder technology. Could provide an excellent basis for a AF digital rangefinder.

As for the "magnesium alloy shutter", it is not such a far retched concept. Metal shutters certainly exist, as we all know. A magnesium metal shutter would be lighter and stiffer. It would therefore take less energy to move, can be made faster, could last longer, and would deform less in operation making it more precise. It is certainly possible and feasible with the potential to improve shutter performance.

roanjoh

Quote from his new blog:

AF Rangefinder pics - first look...

These are the first images shot from the new AF rangefinder I've been using over the past couple of weeks. The camera is still under wraps, but I can tell you that it is a game changer.

I've been involved in some testing with it, in particular the way the AF reacts to low light (one of the problems that dogs many DSLR's). It is pretty good. Not as good as my Canon 1DIV's but c'mon this thing is a fraction of the size and weight. There is full manual over-ride with each lens. You simply use the focus ring, and it goes to proper manual focus, not like the DSLR attempt at MF.

It is a proper RF, a little bigger than a Leica M9, but comfortable in the hand. The extra size is mainly to incorporate the VF which has some ground breaking technology involved in terms of the framelines.

Here are some shots taken over the past couple of weeks.

**Update - sorry I've had to pull the images as the traffic caused my server to crash. I'll look at some other way of hosting the images. Bear with me. **
Link here: http://jeffascough.typepad.com/af_r.../af-rangefinder-pics-first-look.html#comments

Hmmmm..........

Diane B

roanjoh

I didn't get to see the photos--hope he can find another way to host them. One thing I noticed is the way he said you used MF on AF lenses--as we do now with the Panny m4/3rds (since I don't know about Oly's method--is it the same?). But he said larger than an M9 but with integrated VF (not EVF?).
Kinda odd too that nobody saw the photos :-( I now have the sickening feeling that this will be an April Fools joke.............a pic will be posted tomorrow of a Turkey........:p

Will continue more speculation after April 1st :)

Roan

ashwinrao1

April fools...but if so, one of the all time greats! If it's a Canon RF, then that's exciting, but I am not waiting with baited breath....

I was not aware that Kyocera had designed a digital Contax G2...wish that had seen the light of day... alas, if Canon's in the game, maybe this is their response to m4/3....they did RF's in the past...BUT...it's gotta be an April fool...

John Black

Wasn't Sony bringing something to the table later this summer? A 4/3's competitor of sorts? If Jeff's post is legit, the 35/1.2 lens makes me think it's Voightlander / Cosina related. But, this whole thing smells of a April 1st joke.

charlesphoto

Which would make sense- if it wasn't for the fact that it's March 30th. It could be this person was being a bit loosey goosey with their NDA and got a spanking. Crossing my fingers as much as I love my M9 it would be cool to see other digital rf options.

E

endustry

If this an April Fool's joke it had better end with at least a photoshopped pic of a hexar rf with a sensor in it or something.