The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Y-strap - I like it

Terry

Eric,
your post made me think about how I held my M8 for vertical shots while using the Y-Strap + HOOK arrangement. Stephen provides two keyrings with the Y-Strap: a larger one and a smaller one. What I did was mount the larger ring on the Y-Strap with the HOOK permanently attached there (via it's fixed end) and then mount the smaller ring on my M8's left lug. I then clip/unclip the HOOK as needed. It's not attached when I place the camera back in my bag so no fear of scratching the viewfinder. Also, I hold my M8 vertically with the right-hand side up and focus using my left index finger on the lens tab/bump and my thumb and remaining three fingers holding the M8 on the top and bottom. If I am unclear I will post a picture of how I hold it.
Question about the hook. Where do the guys at Leicagoodies suggest you hook the hook? That was what I wasn't sure of. I like the idea of the y strap better than their version because it can be adjusted. Like you I want to be able to unhook the camera. So, to me your idea of ring, hook, ring is very interesting.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I use the hook and clip it to the small key ring that attaches the A&A hand-straps to the body. Tat way, I have a hand-strap more or less permanently affixed to each of my two bodies and clip the neck strap as I please via the hook.
Pretty convenient and I don't end up having two neck straps cluttering up my bag. In addition, when using a tripod, I loop the hand-strap over the ball head to act as a safety.
What I am now using for a neck-strap is an upstrap modified as Guy described by replacing its ends with the Leica strap hardware. I end up using the combination pretty much as they describe in the Y-strap web site, so I will try one of theirs.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sorry I have not taken a shot of this been up since 4 am completely reinstalling my whole computer system. Anyone says you can't get a virus or corrupt something on a Mac is smoking something. Living proof right here i had major system issues from whatever happened in Carmel.

woodyspedden

Sorry I have not taken a shot of this been up since 4 am completely reinstalling my whole computer system. Anyone says you can't get a virus or corrupt something on a Mac is smoking something. Living proof right here i had major system issues from whatever happened in Carmel.
guy

Sadly when Mac switched to Intel their problems with viruses etc went up dramatically it seems. I can tell you that my Desktop Mac Pro crashes every bit as often as did my PC. I still am not sorry I went to MAC because I hear Vista is still a nightmare but the MAC is not the robust machine it was in the days of power pc.

Woody

woodyspedden

You are probably right about the Y strap width Brian. I don't know anything about the slingshot but will look into it.

Woody
I finally found the straps I was looking for for heavy DSLR's to keep them stable while hiking or climbing.

The products are made by a company called Kinesis www.kgear.com

The first product is called a torso stabilizer strap and the model number is H152 It costs $16,00.

The second product is called B107 (in my size.....yours may vary so will the model number) and is simply called a medium black belt. This is a wide belt to which the torso belt can attach as well as lens holsters, accessory bags etc. It costs $36.00

The way the system works is the torso strap has a loop which goes over the top of the lens on a mounted camera. The strap then holds the camera securely against your stomach and can be tightened so that the camera doesn't sway away from your body as you walk or climb. Very nice product at a low price. A friend of mine has a full Kinesis system (including bags, holsters and stuff) and it is exceedingly well made. Certainly on a par with Think Tank.

Hope this helps for anyone looking at how to stabilize a DSLR

Woody

R

rik

Question about the hook. Where do the guys at Leicagoodies suggest you hook the hook? That was what I wasn't sure of. I like the idea of the y strap better than their version because it can be adjusted. Like you I want to be able to unhook the camera. So, to me your idea of ring, hook, ring is very interesting.
The guys at Leicagoodies, i.e. me, suggest you attach the Hook to the Leicagoodies Strap ring, and then to a lug on your camera. This setup enables you to freely move the camera along the Strap, while still being able to unHook the camera from the Strap when needed. Please also see the relevant sections at our Leicagoodies.com website (Strap and Hook).
We have been selling our original Strap for many years to a lot of happy customers. Together with our Hook it is the perfect combination for carrying your camera while still having it fully ready for that one shot.
Our Strap is available for US$ 25 including worldwide shipping, or US$ 45 for a Strap and a Hook including worldwide shipping.

eric_bowles

What I did was mount the larger ring on the Y-Strap with the HOOK permanently attached there (via it's fixed end) and then mount the smaller ring on my M8's left lug. I then clip/unclip the HOOK as needed.
That sounds like a good idea -- I will get a hook and try that combination. With the extra hook and smaller ring, does the camera swing much when hanging from the Y-strap? One of the benefits of the Y-strap is that the camera is snug against the hip and doesn't swing when walking.

--eric

Terry

The guys at Leicagoodies, i.e. me, suggest you attach the Hook to the Leicagoodies Strap ring, and then to a lug on your camera. This setup enables you to freely move the camera along the Strap, while still being able to unHook the camera from the Strap when needed. Please also see the relevant sections at our Leicagoodies.com website (Strap and Hook).
We have been selling our original Strap for many years to a lot of happy customers. Together with our Hook it is the perfect combination for carrying your camera while still having it fully ready for that one shot.
Our Strap is available for US$ 25 including worldwide shipping, or US$ 45 for a Strap and a Hook including worldwide shipping.
Thanks,
I've looked at the strap a number of times and I am not sure the length would work for me. I like things that go across the body to be a bit longer so I will probably end up with a combo of both products. Have you considered an adjustable version?

neelin

Thanks,
I've looked at the strap a number of times and I am not sure the length would work for me. I like things that go across the body to be a bit longer so I will probably end up with a combo of both products. Have you considered an adjustable version?
I just grabbed a removeable nylon adjustable shoulder 3/4" strap from a bag & used it today. It had alternate m/f clips on each end, so I adjusted it finally to 36" (18x2) perimeter, added [a 3/4" slip-ring & my LGoodies hook] 2 1/2". With the M8 clipped on (to a permanent 1/2" ring on the M8), the lens of the M8 rests between bottom of my rib cage, and the top of my hip bone (I'm 5'10 tall). The position between the rib cage & hip bone seemed to be the natural, unobtrusive place to carry it, with no forces applied to it while walking. I would not, however, go to an American political rally wearing a coat with this rig underneath (I saw that movie :grin: ). This is home-built & I think I'd like that soft 1" tubular nylon from a Y strap, better than the 3/4" ubiquitous black nylon for shoulder/neck pressure. Strap, connector & adjuster shown on chest side for illustrative purposes only, obviously you'd wear this at the back.

[canon g6 got the colours right but must have pre-focused when I pressed the self timer on the back wall]

robert

Terry

Thanks Robert.

Only issue is a gender difference that would make your solution particularly uncomfortable for me.:D

R

rik

Thanks,
You can check the length obviously by taking a piece of rope and form a loop of similar size as the Strap. Of course the preferred length is probably determined by a persons size combined with the preference on how high or low the camera should be.
Our non-adjustable Strap is very strong due to the closed loop. I have not yet considered adjustable versions, to be honest have not had that question before. The length seems to be a good size for a lot of people.

etrigan63

That sounds like a good idea -- I will get a hook and try that combination. With the extra hook and smaller ring, does the camera swing much when hanging from the Y-strap? One of the benefits of the Y-strap is that the camera is snug against the hip and doesn't swing when walking.

--eric
I adjusted the Y-Strap + HOOK combo so my M8 is at belt level. Very stable. I used this combo when I went with my daughter to the Newport Guitar Festival and walked around for 3+ hours in a crowded convention hall. I was able to quickly get my camera in operational position otherwise it stayed nice and snug against my hip.

Got a lot of oohs and aahs over my M8 though.

robsteve

Subscriber
Am I the only person that just wears the M8 around my neck with the Leica strap? If you stagger the length of the straps you can get three M8 around your neck onr on top of the other. I had regularly shot on the street of Paris or London using two M film cameras in the days of film.

robertwright

..well am I the only person that thinks that I can do the same thing with the standard strap as you can do with the Y-strap? If I put my arm through the strap it rests on my hip and I can bring it up to my eye in the same manner as the Y strap. You just have to make the strap a little longer than you would if you carried it on your neck, which I don't, sorry rob:(

another downside is that there is no strap on the right side lug using the y-strap. that means you can't wrap the strap around your wrist if you are carrying the camera in hand while shooting, something I have to do street shooting. I find if it is not in hand I can't bring it up fast enough to react.

anyway, all this is moot, watch videos of Gwinogrand shooting and you see NO strap sometimes.

the under the coat move I saw on the Y-strap site seems a little surreptitious to me actually, likely to get in more trouble like that than having the thing around your neck. I mean, you are there to photograph, correct? No sense in soft-pedaling it in my opinion. Everyone's gonna know sooner or later.