The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 twin charger cancelled

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I just posted this over at the LUF:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the twin travel charger from Hahnel seems to be cancelled. Leica states this is due to quality concerns with the product. Perhaps this will be remedied in the future, but for now there is very little likelyhood of this product coming to market anytime soon.

I know I would have wanted one for myself.

David

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Oh dang.... Was really looking forward to having one of those. Hate the current brick.

Terry

in this day and age it seems odd that a charger is such a complicated item to make! I don't get it...but I'm not an engineer.

carstenw

I think the price point is the problem. If you want a low price, you have to make sacrifices on the quality. Finding the right balance is hard.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Or you have to make a lot of them.
Either way, this is a problem for Leica.
-bob

irakly

leica had to use a generic battery in the first place.
with my travelling five months per year, i was really looking forward to something more user-friendly than this masterpiece of design that m8 kit sports now... bloody hell!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes I'm not very happy about this either. i think there was a quality issue involved. maybe they can get another vender to produce something better and smaller. i hate this brick we have to carry around

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I can see an image of the new frankenbattery, basically a 12 volt lead-acid auto battery with a flex cable to a special M8 base plate. Yes, it is a bit heavy, but the thing goes over a year on one charge and is individually calibrated by leather-aproned German workers in Solms. A steal at only 500 euro each. It comes with a dry charge. Add battery acid and you are good to go.
-bob