The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just shipped off my 'lux

Thought I'd share a danger of upgrading to digital - the ability to rapidly test your lenses!

My new (used) M8 focuses very well with my Summicron 50. However, I've noticed that I'm just not pleased with the images from my Summilux 35 (pre-aspheric) on the camera. Yesterday, I did a little test to see what was happening. At ~4' focus distance, it's front focusing by five or six inches! I sent the pics off to DAG, and he agreed that it needs service.

So, my Summilux is on its way to Wisconsin to visit Mr. Goldman. I hope it a short, fruitful visit.

Regards,
Reed

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
:thumbs: I had a similar experience with my M9. I figured this time that I'd bite the bullet and send off the whole ensemble for verification and adjustment.

In my case Don found the M9 needed adjustment close up but apparently ok at infinity, 21 'lux needed nothing, ditto 90 Elmarit. My 35 'lux and 50 'lux's both needed adjustment. Now I just have to stop buying more lenses ... but at least I know these are all in sync with each other. If I'd not sent the camera I wouldn't have really known which items were in/out of spec because it's a wicked game matching cameras and lenses that might all be slightly front/rear or spot on focusing.

I think that these articles hit the spot:
https://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.12.22/this-lens-is-soft-and-other-myths
http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2010.03.06/this-lens-is-soft-and-other-facts

Double Negative

Not Available
^ Totally the way to do it, if you have the option. Like you said, it's the only way you'll know that everything is as it should be and not get caught in the never-ending cycle of sending out lenses and wondering why things still aren't right. A little sad though, that a new M9 would need adjustment this early on...

Don (DAG) looked at my images, including some from my Summicron 50, which seems to be focusing perfectly on my M8, and indicated that I only needed to send the lens in. I've got my fingers crossed! Based on everything I've heard, I should trust his opinion implicitly.

Reed

ampguy

You will be very pleased when you get your 35 pre asph lux back, here's a photo taken a few days ago, "Howland Island" with an M8 original, pre-asph 35/1.4 @ 1.4, 1/30th, ISO 2500, no photoshop.

Don (DAG) looked at my images, including some from my Summicron 50, which seems to be focusing perfectly on my M8, and indicated that I only needed to send the lens in. I've got my fingers crossed! Based on everything I've heard, I should trust his opinion implicitly.

Reed

The 'lux arrived back today from DAG. Wow, it looks good. Now to get it home, temp-code it, put the IR filter on, and give it a shot this weekend! I sure hope the focus is on, but have confidence that it will be.

I'll post a shot or two as soon as I have them.

Reed