The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

:confused: M9 Stuck on sRGB. What am I doing wrong?

Paul David

Hi,
I'm struggling with a new used M9. The Color Management is usually grayed out, so I can't change it to Adobe RGB. If I select a non-snapshot mode it still is grayed out. I can put it into snapshot mode, and then get it out with the set button, and then it will let me switch Color Management to Adobe RGB. When I save the profile, turn the camera off and then on it's back to sRGB. Not only does it fail to save the Adobe RGB setting, I can't change it in the Color Management menu without going through the above process.
Help would be most appreciated. (Firmware 1.116)
Thanks in advance.

Paul

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'll bet that you have DNG/raw set only for capture. The color space option is only enabled if you shoot raw & jpg or jpg only modes.

Paul David

I'll bet that you have DNG/raw set only for capture. The color space option is only enabled if you shoot raw & jpg or jpg only modes.
You're absolutely right! In all my other bodies the color space stays even in raw. So I guess what your saying is just like the other parameters, such as white balance, the color space setting only applies to JPG. Thanks! I was going nuts on this.

Paul

Chris C

.... In all my other bodies the color space stays even in raw.......
Paul - RAW files contain all the image's recorded colour information, but independently of Colour Space constraints; RAW is without a Colour Space. The camera setting options of sRGB or AdobeRGB apply only to the in-camera conversion of Jpegs. If the camera is set to RAW [DNG] files only [rather than RAW +Jpeg], those RAW files first meet a Colour Space when converting a file into one's chosen Colour Space for RAW Processor conversion. The converted file's colour will be contained by one's chosen Colour Space and will be so tagged, but the RAW original will still remain Colour Space independent. My apologies if I have misunderstood you, and if you actually know this.

............... Chris

GrahamWelland

While it's true that the raw image has no colour space per se, some raw converters can use the embedded colour space setting when rendering. For example you can set the colour space on Nikon cameras even when shooting raw only and Capture NX will use that setting when rendering out to a jpg/tiff etc. If you are used to other cameras I can see how the modality of this with M8/9 could seem confusing.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nikon and Canon both do it and my opinion it is a very bad move to tag the raws with SRGB within there converters. People get confused and this leads to mistakes. My mantra is and always will be leave the damn Raws alone in any program they are Raw and should remain raw. Rant Off . LOL

I should add they do it in there own programs only not LR , ACR or C1 or any other program that does not see that tag

GrahamWelland

Of course with Nikon and Capture NX2 the NEF files are treated as somewhat more than just raw files ... tags are added/changed by Nikon editing software. I make a point of saving the original file and then any other work that is done on the NEF is on a copy. The colour space tag is carried over from the camera setting which can be overridden by default by Capture NX2 so that it set to a wide gamut colour space. I agree though that it is a recipe for confusion and I wonder how many folks process their raws into PS or other editors and have constrained the image to sRGB right from the beginning with some colour fidelity lost forever.

Paul David

Nikon and Canon both do it and my opinion it is a very bad move to tag the raws with SRGB within there converters. People get confused and this leads to mistakes. My mantra is and always will be leave the damn Raws alone in any program they are Raw and should remain raw. Rant Off . LOL

I should add they do it in there own programs only not LR , ACR or C1 or any other program that does not see that tag
I see the sRGB touched a raw nerve, Guy. ;) I agree that raw should be left alone. Knowing only Canon, Nikon, and Phase One backs it's confusing to be confronted with sRGB locked into the menu! And there is absolutely nothing in the manual that mentions this.
Paul