The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I really Like Lux 24 :)

deepdiver

This lens is really a magic!
took some pictures yesterday during a scuba diving trip.
at @F1.4 this lens will show u the "magic" :D
Some pics takem with F1.4

Andree

Gary P

Hi Andree,

Beautiful shots! This lens definitely produces a beatiful Boke.

I really like the way your photos frame when posted, if your willing to share, I'd love to know the settings you use to post your images!

Thanks, Gary P

tom in mpls

Picture 4 is an example of why I find focusing such a problem with the M system. You had to focus the center of the frame on the child (I presume your daughter) on the right, then recompose, then shoot. If you are at f/1.4, how on earth did you keep the camera from moving forward or back when you recomposed? I would have ended up with OOF on the right side.

BTW it's a terrific shot, Adree.

John Black

Tom - you can crop to create the composition in post, or center compose, re-frame and then pull focus slightly forward. That last step is a bit of guess work, but after awhile it gets easier as you learn the lens. Sometimes leaning forward just slightly is enough to correct for the change in focus distance.

deepdiver

Hi Gary, thank you
I believe I was using Aperture mode on M9, and set the aperture to F1.4 + Auto Shade WB + Exp +0.7 , nothing really special :)

Hi Tom, thx, glad that you like the pics as well.
Basically I did what John said :)
First I focus the face of the girl, then I just re-frame it.
I did not have the 24mm viewfinder yet, so I have to guess a bit for the framing.
Today my 24mm external viewfinder will be delivered.

oc garza

Picture 4 is an example of why I find focusing such a problem with the M system. You had to focus the center of the frame on the child (I presume your daughter) on the right, then recompose, then shoot. If you are at f/1.4, how on earth did you keep the camera from moving forward or back when you recomposed? I would have ended up with OOF on the right side.

Tom, IMHO this is the most serious disadvantage of all Leica rangefinders when compared to DSLRs with selective focus points. The problem is especially frustrating the wider and faster a lens is. I use the 24mm elmarit on the M9 and even at 2.8 you cannot nail focus everytime after recomposing.

I submit that the M10 needs to ...
1) enlarge the focusing patch considerably...
2) change to an "X" shaped focus patch extending almost to the edge of the frame with the traditional block in the center or ...
3) evolve to a moveable focus patch that reads pupil movement to shift the patch to the spot in the viewfinder that you want to focus on.

I doubt any are possible when the next generation of digital rangefinder debuts, but I hope Leica at least has a focus patch improvement on the radar. Afterall they have been using the center focusing patch for what, fifty years?

O.C.

oc garza

With practice, recomposing can be overcome with the subject in focus.
I have been using Leicas with wide angles for 30 years so sure, you develop a technique that works most of the time. But if one is really composing with the subject near the frame edge, razor sharp focus becomes more "iffy." And one of the reasons this is so frustrating is because of the wonderful viewfinder in the Leica. You can really push the limits on your composition but having to focus then recompose - with super thin dof in many cases - the results are not always there (even with wide angles). Again, having used Canon DSLRs with adjustable focus points, sharp focus is a "given" with the technology Canon uses; it is almost always operator error when you do not have sharp focus on the subject of choice.

I just don't know if an "x" shaped focusing patch is possible in the next generation of Leica RFs, given the complexity of rangefinder construction.

tom in mpls

With practice, recomposing can be overcome with the subject in focus.
I have no doubt that you have developed great skill, and that with practice I can improve my own. Luck is also a good friend to have in order to successfully shoot at large aperture/thin DOF with the focus-recompose technique.

JimBuchanan

Tom - you can ... center compose, re-frame and then pull focus slightly forward. That last step is a bit of guess work, but after awhile it gets easier as you learn the lens. Sometimes leaning forward just slightly is enough to correct for the change in focus distance.
Yes, it is all about knowing your M lenses, isn't it? The rangefinder way...

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Sorry for the snapshot-like content, but I know of no other lens that could have gotten the shot :) @ 2.0

A

aprillove20

Awesome set of photos. This lens definitely produces a beautiful.

Paratom

another series with the 24 Summilux.

Starting the airplane:

and just for fun one with the Nikon 24/1.4

fotografz

I never focus re-compose and adjust focus. I've learned to keep my back arched and laterally sway left or right in parallel with the focus plane. (I learned that one from dodging punches to the face in Karate. :eek: :ROTFL:) Side-to-side, never back-and-forth. Try it ... with just a little practice it's easy to master. It's how I focus the 50/0.95 and 75/1.4, as well as the 21 and 24 Luxes with a pretty good keeper rate.

I use the same technique with the center (more sensitive) center point on DSLRs because it's to slow to be wheeling the focus point to-and-fro and still capture the decisive moment ... which is gone before you can get the focus point wheeled over to the right place.

-Marc

jonoslack

I use the same technique with the center (more sensitive) center point on DSLRs because it's to slow to be wheeling the focus point to-and-fro and still capture the decisive moment ... which is gone before you can get the focus point wheeled over to the right place.

-Marc
As you say Marc . . . if you have time to move the focus point in an SLR, then you've got the time in an M as well.
Interesting technique - I must try it, I've nailed the focus and recompose pretty well, but like everything else it takes practice.

all the best