The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question about age and manual focusing...

V

v64

It is interesting to read about peoples experiences.

There are many 'variables' to deal with. Not least the amount of accommodation that you have (i.e. the amount of focus adjustment you have in your eye). If (like me) you have/had to use trifocals (typically +3,+2,+1 for near middle and far sight) then two contact lenses will probably not cover all three regions. I also found that there is a limit on the difference that my eye/brain could cope with.

In my case I chose to concentrate on a range of 1 ft to about 10 ft. This covers close reading, computer work and watching TV! So for driving I wear a pair of glasses. I could have chosen an 'outdoor set' and used a pair of readers for close work.

I would also point out that it no more expensive to have two or more prescriptions and switch - so I do occasionally use an 'outdoor' set when I go out for the day.

Finally, one other option is to investigate putting bi-focal contacts into the mix. So one eye is (figuratively) +3/+2 and the other eye +2/+1. As I say, plenty of options/variables - as always , talk to your optician.

David

Braeside

After a week of trying the contact lens, I am thinking about just keeping the glasses.

Just not getting the clarity of vision at distance that I feel I need and cannot use the computer.

Too much effort to put them on and take them out.

I also realised that I like wearing glasses outside and feel naked without them. Perhaps it is my shyness but I feel better with glasses on.

In the summer I always like sunglasses so it would not gain me much with contacts as I would end up wearing sunglasses anyway.

Another appointment with the optician tomorrow so will see what he says.

Braeside

Update: I decided against contact lenses. Even with one for close in the left eye, I just wasn't getting the clarity I like for computer work. It was great for actually using the camera though.

Back to 4 eyes.

jonoslack

Update: I decided against contact lenses. Even with one for close in the left eye, I just wasn't getting the clarity I like for computer work. It was great for actually using the camera though.

Back to 4 eyes.
Sad to hear that - for me it's freedom (even if it's compromised freedom). Only compensation I can offer is the new Tom Petty album Mojo . . . it won't make your eyes better, but it'll give you a buzz when you're driving!