The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I am NOT going to sell my M9!

tom in mpls

Some of you may be aware that I nearly sold my M9 here recently, but just couldn't do it.

Tonight my 16yo daughter went to her first prom, and I took some pics before her date arrived ("he's not my boyfriend! he's just a friend!"). I'm speechless with the results. I'm always proud of her, and tonight I'm also proud of me! Head shots with the 90 elmarit, full body shot with the 28 cron ASPH.

Click for larger views.

View attachment 30818View attachment 30819View attachment 30820
There is moire in her dress. A small price to pay. As yet I haven't learned how to remove it.

Last edited:

beamon

I think I may be as happy to see you not selling it, Tom, as you are. :)

I winced, visably, when I saw your advert for it. Ya see, I categorize (no make that "profile") people to a fare thee well and I had you pegged as a Leica guy. There's something about fit, finish and use that gets into a Leica type's craw and fights getting out.

Not to mention that your lovely daughter deserves Leica! :D Hope she had a wonderful time.

Double Negative

Not Available
Beautiful daughter, beautiful shots. Well done, Tom.

I feel the same about my M8. One of these days I'll pick up an M9. Almost went for yours... :D

Ricnak

Nice shots Tom. As expected!

You made the right decision in keeping the camera.

Is the moire, the thing that looks like lines on the dress when you zoom in? I quite like it. It would make a nice pattern for a prom dress. My motto is - don't make work. I'd leave it.

tom in mpls

Thanks for the responses to my shameless ploy for praise. :grin:

The members here are a lovely collection of generous and concerned friends.

Yes, the moire is seen in the yellow pattern on the dress. It does look as if it could be the actual pattern in the fabric. But it isn't.

One more.View attachment 30841

Last edited:

Lars

What makes these images work is two things - the model and the soft lighting. Equipment has little to do with it - kudos to the photographer! :)

bradhusick

Tom,
Great photos. There is a quality to M9/Leica photos that is almost intangible. Good decision not to sell it. It's the best 35mm digital out there, bar none.

It would make a great processing challenge for many of us to see if we can remove the moire in the full length photo. Would you post a link to the RAW file?

Keep shooting!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Great photos, absolutely gorgeous daughter, stunning photographer and lovely camera!

If I would own a M9 I would only sell it for a M10 :)

PS: need to get my M9 pretty soon now!

robsteve

Subscriber
Tom:

Those are huge waves of Moire. I tried it in Capture One Pro with the Moire reduction to 100% and it cleared up 99% of it.

The experts on Capture One may be able to tell you the pitfalls of using the Moire control. To me, it looks like it looses a bit of sharpness and colour in the dress.

Robert

tom in mpls

Robert, I use C1 but was not even aware of the moire reduction, thanks. It's a general rule, I think, that you lose something whenever you try to remove data from an image. "Huge waves" indeed! I had to go look at the dress to see if it was actually yellow and white, but it is not.