The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 35 Lux announced

PeterA

100% crop showing focus point on vertical - just a one shot snap from one meter wide open @1.4 - no sharpen
- maybe just a lucky shot..:bugeyes:

now spare me all the BS

T@

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Peter,

The issue isn't whether you can necessarily focus accurately at f/1.4, it's more a case of shooting a set of shots at other apertures from the same place with the same focus indicated in the viewfinder. Depending upon the optimization of your 'lux you're likely to see the focus point move as you stop down until DoF takes over to keep it all in focus.

My 'lux focuses perfectly at f/1.4 and is optimized to do so. At 1m and from the same position and same focus in the viewfinder, if I stop down to f/2.8 or f/4 I'll see the exact point of focus shift back slightly in the captured image. In my case by f/5.6 it's hardly noticeable any more and by f/8 it appears perfect again.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

100% crop showing focus point on vertical - just a one shot snap from one meter wide open @1.4 - no sharpen

now spare me all the BS

T@
Of course it can be focused wide open if its calibrated correctly. Focus shift occurs when you stop the lens down .

The only valid issue regarding focus shift is will it matter in your typical shooting. If other factors like calibration,technique, ability to see are significant then focus shift gets lost in the details. If your typical subjects don t require the ability to get a clear sharp eye at 1M and most don t fine then its not important.

You seem to feel its Ok to refer to others perspectives as BS ....pretty arrogant . :thumbdown:

Paratom

now spare me all the BS

T@
Peter-sorry but I have to ask that question: Am I wrong or did you just make and post a focus test ?

jonoslack

now spare me all the BS

T@[/QUOTE]

Hi Peter
at no point in this thread has anyone said that you can't focus the 35 'lux wide open at f1.4.
Maybe you should read what people say before you tell them they're speaking BS?

Knorp

Peter-sorry but I have to ask that question: Am I wrong or did you just make and post a focus test ?
Yep, it's a focus test all right.
And to my eye it shows clearly a slight front focus issue.
But hey what do I know ...

Let's call it a day, okay ?
:angel:

PeterA

Ok BS - was robably out of line - but then again no offence meant on a pesonal level..

for me the focus shift is a NON issue - I guess FOR OTHERS it is.

Nothing is going to change a person's beliefs and experiences or worries and concerns ..

I do have to say I laugh at the predantic nature of some here - but then again maybe I dont take this stuff as seiosuly as some. Ican't see front focus - b3ecause whilst I 'bel;ieve' I was focussing as accurately as i could from a metre away on a little horisontal line - I woudl never expect to be able to get spot on focus in such a tiny object so ( realtively) far away -

so the comment that it is front focussing - ( relevnt @ 100% crop...) may appeal to certain smug smugs..but to me it is irrelevant and invisible.

for my purposes there is more than enough accuracy and room for user error to make the issue unobservable and insignificant is guess what I am saying.

Cheers!

jonoslack

Ok BS - was robably out of line - but then again no offence meant on a pesonal level..

for me the focus shift is a NON issue - I guess FOR OTHERS it is.
Surely that's something we can all accept

I do have to say I laugh at the predantic nature of some here - but then again maybe I dont take this stuff as seiosuly as some. Ican't see front focus - b3ecause whilst I 'bel;ieve' I was focussing as accurately as i could from a metre away on a little horisontal line - I woudl never expect to be able to get spot on focus in such a tiny object so ( realtively) far away -

so the comment that it is front focussing - ( relevnt @ 100% crop...) may appeal to certain smug smugs..but to me it is irrelevant and invisible.
I thought Bart had is tongue (at least partly) in his cheek - which was why it appealed to this smugmug :p

for my purposes there is more than enough accuracy and room for user error to make the issue unobservable and insignificant is guess what I am saying.

Cheers!
It's those little phrases like 'for me' and 'for my purposes' which should allow peace to break out all around

Have a nice day!

wattsy

I would add that while the greats have many out of focus shots that have become iconic, I cannot think of any that would have been worse off had they been in perfect focus
I don't know, off the top of my head I can think of stuff by Robert Frank that might lose something were they in "perfect focus". That said, I agree with the consensus in this thread that there is nothing BS about acknowledging the existence of focus shift as a technical issue that can come into play (whether you view photography rather loftily as an art form or simply something to do whilst mooching around).

One of the curious things I've noticed on these kind of internet forums is that those who are quite clearly amongst the biggest gearheads around are often the ones who shout loudest about how "the equipment doesn't matter" and how it's all "BS". I also think there's something ironic and amusing when someone demands to see "great pictures" that prove a technical point and then offers up a boring shot of some gear fondler lenses to make the counter argument. Incidentally, is that a bowl of crisps behind the keyboard?

LCT

....One of the curious things I've noticed on these kind of internet forums is that those who are quite clearly amongst the biggest gearheads around are often the ones who shout loudest about how "the equipment doesn't matter" and how it's all "BS"...
:D Curious as well to show f/1.4 images to demonstrate focus shift or lack thereof. Try the same at f/2.8 or f/4 folks.

Peter Klein

There are several issues here. Leica means "perfection" to some people, so anything less feels like a betrayal. Many people don't understand the difference between focus shift, back focus, camera adjustment, lens adjustment, and their technique. And our ability to detect a phenomenon with a digital camera may exceed our ability to control it in practical photography.

All fast lenses have focus shift as you stop down. Physics is physics. The question is how much, and does it matter? The 45-degree ruler test may seem ridiculous to some, but it can answer that question.

For years, with film, I thought that my 35mm Summicron IV was quite soft at f/2. After I got my M8, the ruler test showed me that it really isn't. It's just that it front focuses significantly at f/2. Now I know that if I want to use it wide open, I need to focus a little behind what I want sharp--on the subjects ears instead of their eyes. That's useful knowledge. I could have the 'Cron adjusted so it was perfect at f/2. But then f/2.8 - f/8 would be slightly back focused.

As for the 35 Summilux ASPH, see the attached photo. The rangefinder was focused on the 28 inch mark. See how the zone of focus shifts backwards from f/1.4 to f/4? Does it matter? Sometimes it does. I can either compensate slightly (say, by focusing on the nose instead of the eyes in a people shot), or avoid the stops from f/2.8-4. Or I can use another lens for f/2.8-4.

Or I can buy the new 35 Lux Asph for $5,000, and know that the floating elements have reduced the problem to the point where it won't matter much for all practical purposes, even if Erwin can show that it's still there to some extent.

Knowing your lenses is a good thing. Knowledge is power. Especially when you're using a sensor with no anti-alias filter, when "perfection" was previously defined using film.

GMB

..its hard to make a photograph of a person work if the eyes aren t sharp . So I look hard for sharpness in the critical areas and it does piss me off when I have an otherwise decent photograph ..but the photo doesn t work because of lack of sharpness. Its not the sharpness that makes the photo but the lack of it that might bother me.

Without a doubt ...my eyes and technique are much greater factors than focus shift. But I do know that when I have a really tight calibrated lens and body ...I don t have to subconsciously adjust . Its not the most important element in creating high levels of IQ but its enough to matter to me.
Fully agree. I love to shoot portraits of my family, and I love the look of the f1 Nocti, the 75 lux, the 50 lux, and the 75 cron wide open. My M8 back focused so I had a lot of nice shots with sharp ears--until I send the camera to Solms for adjusting. After that it worked fine and I know that when I missed one, it was my fault.

When I got the M9 in December, all of the lenses front focussed, and I now have sharp noses. Today I'll ship the whole stuff to Solms. Of course, one can try to compensate but why paying so much cash for a prime product, on of the main features of which should be the fast and precise focusing, and then do guess focusing.

Of course, there are also the shots where you try to capture a certain situation etc., and where the precise focus does not matter that much. But sometimes, in particular when you shoot wide open, the visual effect of an image depends on you nailing the focus. How would the attached example look if the focus was not on the eye?

View attachment 31378

Not sure how someone defines a photo as a "success?" Money? Publication? Pleasure? What I know is that for me the shots matter, that friends I show them to like them, and that some of them are not any worse than photos I saw published.

Just my 2c.

Hacker

I will get the new 35mm ASPH for sure, though I think the current ASPH is a very competent lens.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Fully agree. I love to shoot portraits of my family, and I love the look of the f1 Nocti, the 75 lux, the 50 lux, and the 75 cron wide open. My M8 back focused so I had a lot of nice shots with sharp ears--until I send the camera to Solms for adjusting. After that it worked fine and I know that when I missed one, it was my fault.

When I got the M9 in December, all of the lenses front focussed, and I now have sharp noses. Today I'll ship the whole stuff to Solms. Of course, one can try to compensate but why paying so much cash for a prime product, on of the main features of which should be the fast and precise focusing, and then do guess focusing.

Of course, there are also the shots where you try to capture a certain situation etc., and where the precise focus does not matter that much. But sometimes, in particular when you shoot wide open, the visual effect of an image depends on you nailing the focus. How would the attached example look if the focus was not on the eye?

View attachment 31378

Not sure how someone defines a photo as a "success?" Money? Publication? Pleasure? What I know is that for me the shots matter, that friends I show them to like them, and that some of them are not any worse than photos I saw published.

Just my 2c.
Semana Santa? Great example as the sharpness in the eye is highlighted by the dark hood. Its a much tougher standard than a normal shot at that distance.

PeterA

well another ruler test shows that @ 1.4 you have about 2.5 inches of sharpness and @ f4 you have 4 inches of it..

WOW

Last edited: