The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some basic M8 Questions

Mike Woods

Hi,

I guess I could spend a few hours going through really old M8 posts, or I could ask my friends here and probably get the information much more readily. So, if you don't mind....

I'm currently using an E-P1 and mostly a couple of voigtlander lenses, 35mm Ultron f1.7 and 50mm Nokton f1.5.

Difficult to explain why but I haven't picked up my E-3 and big lenses in months, and have begun shooting (or trying to shoot) much more street stuff over the last couple of months.

For some time I've hankered after an M8/M8.2, but I've had difficulty in finding one that I could hire out for, say, a weekend. Anyway, I managed to try a demo M8 in a local shop at the weekend - my first rangefinder experience - and took along my Ultron and adapter to try.

So, the questions - and apologies if they seem really basic:

1. Since there's no communication between body and lens, is it the function of the LTM to M adaptor to bring up the appropriate framlines? Presumably, that's why there are different adaptors for different focal lengths, which bring up the frameline pairs?
2. The focussing patch seemed really small given the viewfinder size. It surprised me. I remember using an old OM1, and the focussing patch was much larger. Whilst I managed to consistently nail focus in the shop, I wonder how I would manage in the street - I like to shoot wide open, and not sure I could cope with F8 and be there ! Your real world experiences?
3. Ok, now one I really don't get. Downloaded the images into LR when I got home and saw some weird exif numbers. I mostly shot wide open, but LR is reporting f29, f42, all sorts of rubbish! I wasn't expecting to see anything apart from shutter speeds. I was in A by the way.

Lastly, in its own little para - M8 vs M8.2?
Used M8 prices are in my range, M8.2 less so, but 12 mths or so of Passport warranty with the latter is attractive. Is it worth the extra?

Sincere thanks in anticipation of your help. This is rapidly progressing towards a purchase I've dreamed about for ages. Although an E-P3 with built-in viewfinder for improved manual focussing might change my mind :cry:

Best wishes

Mike

Mike Woods

Oops one more (probably one of many lol):

Exposure compensation - didn't try it when I had the chance, but read somewhere it was a menu item only adjustment, although I'm pretty sure the manual (M8.2?) referred to accessing via half shutter press and rear dial turn?

Thanks

Mike

bradhusick

Mike,
Here are some answers.

1. LTM adapters usually won't bring up the right framelines, so it's best to use M-mount lenses.

2. The patch is a little small, but remember the viewfinder does not get darker as you stop down (a neat advantage for rangefinders!). I think most people get used to the patch very quickly. If you need help, attach the Leica 1.4X magnifier and voila - bigger patch!

3. F-stop is not sent from lens to body, so Lightroom tries to guess from the exposure and other parameters, often doing a poor guess. It doesn't matter, just get used to not having f-stop in the EXIF.

4. Passport warranties are not transferable from original owners, so buy from a trusted source (like Popflash). You will like the quieter shutter and sapphire back glass on the M8.2 so get one of these if it's in your budget.

5. The rear dial can be used for exposure comp, but I forget how. If I need comp, I just spin the shutter out of A mode and shoot manually.

-Brad

mathomas

Hate to differ with someone more experience than I, but I'm pretty sure that:

1. Yes, the LTM adapters are "by focal length" so that the correct framelines (or frameline pair) is displayed when using the adapter.

Mike Woods

Brad, thank you so much.

I can't see M lenses on my horizon anytime soon. This is actually one of my issues - whether I'm potentially compromising the M8 by not using M glass.

Anyway, think I need to stick with Voigts for the time being - presumably I can bring the right framelines up manually.

Thanks again.

Mike

trisberg

You can bring up the frame lines manually but it would be much easier to get the correct adapters for your lenses. Get a 35/135 for the 35mm and a 50/75 for the 50mm lens. The newer Voigtlander Type II adapters can be hand-coded using a Sharpie pen which should improve the in-camera corrections.

-Thomas

Chris C

.... one of my issues - whether I'm potentially compromising the M8 by not using M glass.....
Mike - I'm in the UK. I should have packed and sent off today a CV 35mm lens [Colour Skopar LTM] for sale along with a 'John Milich LT-M8/9' adapter for 35/24 [on M8] and 35/135 [on M9]. These beautifully made adapters for LTM lenses have milled pits for coding, and bring up the correct framelines. Do a 'search' here, or at LUF, and you can read how well regarded the adapters are.

If you are interested in the item at a sensible offer, send me a P.M and I'll answer it. My apologies if my post offends forum etiquette.

Regarding your speculation; of course Leica lenses are good, but other lenses are good too, and the best you can do for the camera is to use it with whatever lens you are able to.

.............. Chris

Tsutomu

In the spirit of this thread, can someone explain the main differences between the 8 and 8.2? And, it is my understanding that they have been discontinued, correct? Thanks.

Tsutomu

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Mike,
Here are some answers.

1. LTM adapters usually won't bring up the right framelines, so it's best to use M-mount lenses.

-Brad
This is not correct. I have used many LTM lenses with correct adapters on my M8 and they do bring up the correct framelines. Like others have said, you just have to use the right adapter. I also would recommend John Milich adapters with coding pits and also Cameraquest II adapters that can be coded with a sharpie.
Mike, I have several Leica lenses for my M8, but have a CV 28 f/1.9 that is one of my favorite lenses. It is an ltm version lens and it works beautifully. Leica glass is special, but you won't be compromising your M8 by using CV lenses as you grow your rangefinder lens collection.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Oops one more (probably one of many lol):

Exposure compensation - didn't try it when I had the chance, but read somewhere it was a menu item only adjustment, although I'm pretty sure the manual (M8.2?) referred to accessing via half shutter press and rear dial turn?

Thanks

Mike
I would forget about exposure compensation, except as a (semi) permanent setting. It is far easier, flexible and quicker to go to manual and expose to your taste using the arrows in the viewfinder, and the aperture/speed settings.

scott kirkpatrick

In the spirit of this thread, can someone explain the main differences between the 8 and 8.2? And, it is my understanding that they have been discontinued, correct? Thanks.

Tsutomu
There are really three models of M8. M8's which have been upgraded to have some or all of the improvements of the M8.2 also exist. All three types are showing up used for about half of their original price. With the current firmware almost all features of the M8.2 are available on an upgraded M8 if the upgrade included them.

The M8.2 has three main differences from the "classic" M8. The shutter was detuned slightly to have a maximum speed of 1/4000 sec instead of 1/8000. Stated reasons for this are reduced noise and vibration. Unstated reason may be that this gives a shutter with less chance of failure and longer life.
Second is that the frame lines were re-calibrated to be accurate at an image distance of 2m instead of at 0.7m as in the M8. The actual image gets wider as the image distance increases, so that if the frame lines are set for the closest distance possible to focus, the actual image will always be more, and you can crop the extra out if you don't want it. If you are sure of your framing abilities, and don't want to crop, 2m is a more typical frame to work with. But you will not get all you see at closer distances. I prefer the 2m frames, but this is a personal choice. The M9 and the film Ms follow the 0.7m practice, more or less. Third, a scratch-proof sapphire crystal cover was applied to the rear LCD panel.

Finally, for a time, there were additional functions that were enabled in the M8.2 but not in the upgraded M8's, but the last firmware releases eliminated those differences that I felt were of any importance. I have used all three models.

scott

scott kirkpatrick

The O.P. asked about warranties. Since most of the M8's are now more than two years old, look for one which has had a factory CLA or the upgrade, since those actions carry an additional year's warranty with them.

scott

Mike Woods

Thank you all for your contributions - very much appreciated.

I guess I need to get off the fence and make a decision :)

Mike

ampguy

I have a dozen or so LTM to M adapters for lenses ranging from FSU's, to the Hexanon 2.4 LTM, and a half dozen CV's. All bring up the proper framelines on my M digital and film cameras.

I wonder if Brad meant that LTM adapters can be harder to code? or if he ran into a bad batch of 3rd party adapters??

Brian S

I have a Leitz Adapter that does not bring up the correct frameline. Close inspection revealed damage to the cam that brings up the framelines. But it is the exception, not the rule. I would buy high-quality adapters such as those that Cosina/Voigtlander make. I've never had a problem with them.

Mike Woods

Just a quick update, and the new avatar probably gives the game away :)

Received my used chrome M8 yesterday, and took it for a spin the first time today. Weather not great, harsh light, so these were pp'd in LR3. Love the extent to which you can push these files around, and the sharpness ....:bugeyes:

Handling and results were much better than anticipated. Regularly hit focus, and used manual exposure pretty much exclusively, which is a first for me.

Zhou case on its way :)

Anyway, a few from today as this thread closes and I try to gain acceptance on the The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images thread :grin:

Thanks for your previous help, and of course for looking.

Regards

Mike

Brian Mosley

Congratulations Mike, and thanks for helping along the E-P3 release date... I expect it to be any day now :cry:

Cheers

Brian

Mike Woods

Congratulations Mike, and thanks for helping along the E-P3 release date... I expect it to be any day now :cry:

Cheers

Brian
Brian you are sooooooo right :grin:

But actually, I think I might have found what i've been looking for...for the moment at least ;)

All the best

Mike

sjg284

Mike - great shots you got there
I got my M8 back in May, coming from an E-P1 myself.

Used Film RFs for years, then the Epson RD1..
E-P1 was a great camera, but its just not an RF, and I'm glad to be back with the M8.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
Congrats!