The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Long and close

doug

American Kestrel, made with the 280 f/4 APO with 1.4x APO-Extender and UET-R extension tube:

gogopix

Subscriber
This also with 105-280 and 1.4x (finally figured out you needed to open aperture to get it on! :D

Sceen of a pretty tame and common 'bird' in the DC area. Seen in open fie;lds (soccer, T ball) and feeds on franks and twikies.

photogaphus canonus (subspecies, telescopae)

But skittish when confromted with a RED DOT.
[taken from a way out, 10ft? at 280 end.

Victor

PS hand held and I think at 200. some noise in shadow gets those funny jpg artifacts too. may also be the GF resizing, dont know.

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
Victor:

With the Leica extenders, they suggest you mount the extender on the body first. This moves the aperture follower on the extender out of the way so the lens mounts properly. It was in the manual for the extenders :) You could also do it your way or just move the follower on the extender as you mount it to the lens.

gogopix

Subscriber
Victor:

With the Leica extenders, they suggest you mount the extender on the body first. This moves the aperture follower on the extender out of the way so the lens mounts properly. It was in the manual for the extenders :) You could also do it your way or just move the follower on the extender as you mount it to the lens.
I just did the latter, it just slips out of the way and locks fine. mounting on the body means three lose lenses when you swap, so it was easier to just mate the 1.4 and swap the combo out
now, wonder if the 280/4 would work as well. I am really surprised how good the IQ is at 280 + extender.

Victor

PS; Manual?? Who reads manuals ? :ROTFL:

PSS Also, no manual; got the lens from a shop in canada for 595 USD. Was with original caps and looked unused. Anyway, hard to stay ahead of the PeterA lens vacuum here! LOL

gogopix

Subscriber
Dear Doug

Were you really so close you needed the extender to focus? or is that to get the ray path a better geometry (I think certain parts of lens groups have sharper image making depending on the distance of the object.)

doug

Dear Doug

Were you really so close you needed the extender to focus? or is that to get the ray path a better geometry (I think certain parts of lens groups have sharper image making depending on the distance of the object.)
I was really that close. The American Kestrel is one of the smallest North American hawk, not much bigger than an American Robin. I use the 1.4x APO-Extender on the 280 quite often:

as well as the Kestrel photo. I find it does very little damage to the image quality, if anything.

gogopix

Subscriber
I was really that close. The American Kestrel is one of the smallest North American hawk, not much bigger than an American Robin. I use the 1.4x APO-Extender on the 280 quite often:

as well as the Kestrel photo. I find it does very little damage to the image quality, if anything.
the 1.4x is a pleasant surprise. Havent tried on WL yet (except if you consider Tball players "wildlife" LOL

BTW do you still have a copy of the UET-R for sale? I would like to buy one.

regards
Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
Universal extension tube fo9r R lenses
works on more cameras than the leica extenders and used to be $125

doug

Victor:

What is a UET-R?

Robert
It's a (near)universal extension tube for all Leica reflex bodies and most lenses. Meters at full aperture with all except the Leicaflex Standard, and I've found only a few lenses that won't fit on it. I make them from old 3-cam 14198 extension tubes.

BTW do you still have a copy of the UET-R for sale? I would like to buy one.
I have the most critical parts I need to make one, once I find the rest of the parts for the right price I can make another one for you.

gogopix

Subscriber
It's a (near)universal extension tube for all Leica reflex bodies and most lenses. Meters at full aperture with all except the Leicaflex Standard, and I've found only a few lenses that won't fit on it. I make them from old 3-cam 14198 extension tubes.

I have the most critical parts I need to make one, once I find the rest of the parts for the right price I can make another one for you.
great! you've got a deal. just let me know when it's readyand I'll send a check.
My WL is getting tamer, I'm getting closer! :)
best regards
Victor

doug

My WL is getting tamer, I'm getting closer! :)
:D

I consider the UET-R an essential part of my kit. I don't leave home without it! I'll let you know when I've made one. I'd hate to have worked hard enough and long enough to need it and not have it handy.

woodyspedden

Victor

Great to see you are finally shooting with the wonderful 105-280 that I sold to you. And you are getting some really great results. I love it!

Woody