The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Had M8, getting M9, question on filters

dmabry2010

Ok,

I *think* I found an M9. I'll be in Europe next week and found a store that I prepaid for that I will pick up then.

For each lens I have a UV/IR cut filter.

So, since the IR issue is resolved on the M9, is the recommended practice to not use UV/IR cut filters. Or, since I don't have any UV only, or some other protective filter, can I still use UV/IR cut on an M9 without messing up photos?

Thank you,

Dmabry2010

Gary P

Hi dmagry,

I went to the Leica Roadshow and the strong recommendation was, no UVIR since the new sensor is balanced without them. Using one will have a negative impact on the color balance, since the sensor is adequately balance without it. There is also two schools on using a UV filter to protect the lens. The pros and cons depend on your comfort level, but the issue with UV filters is expensive glass protection versus the need to compensate for the sensor.

Thanks Gary P

dmabry2010

Gary,

Thank you.

So, I won't use the UV/IR cuts, then.

Good to know.

I am leaving from Venice on a cruise. I am planning to pick up the M9 while there before I get on the ship. So, I have to have a plan since what I take on the ship is what I use.l

Michael
Dmabry2010

jaapv

Subscriber Member
If you are very critical and there is a lot of IR around you may need a filter even on the M9. The filtering is adequate, but not 100%. It will induce corner shift in wideangles, however.