The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

some more M8 B&W

Just great stuff Irakly. I'll have to try you technique with all the programs I have not called Lightroom as it's one of the few I don't have. best...Peer

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Awesome images Irakly, as usual :) And I love the B&W treatment. BTW, that last model looks identical to a figure model I used to work with in California. I know it's a long-shot, but her name was Summer...

irakly

Awesome images Irakly, as usual :) And I love the B&W treatment. BTW, that last model looks identical to a figure model I used to work with in California. I know it's a long-shot, but her name was Summer...
haha, maybe their mothers have to have a long talk :ROTFL:
no, this chick is from moldova

irakly

Just wondering if it's possible to emulate the technique in C1 Pro?
this is something that you have to try. i never managed to make myself like C1. i mean i understand why people used it when there was no alternative, but now???

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I tried wrong subject matter and NOT shot at high ISO this was 100 but in C1 beta high contrast B&W than played with contrast and tone curve than added some grain in PS. I think with the right subject and a higer ISO you can probably do it in C1

irakly

Guy, can you actually try this? I mean, ISO640? I played with C1 4.0 and Pro for just one evening, but noticed that it treats M8 noise differently from Lightroom/ACR

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It probably does . C1 on the M8 images has a smoother noise factor or tighter pattern than LR for some reason. When I shoot commercial shots at ISO 640 i do get better noise levels with C1 and LR is more clunky. So with this technique i agree LR maybe the better tool.

I would like to try this out when in San Juan and actually maybe a good project for the group since we all are shooting M8's on this workshop and working the streets. Great idea

JPlomley

So here is another attempt in C1 Pro. When for a stroll through China Town to capture some test images. Yeah, I know, the subject is not chinese, but it was the best scene to emulate the Tri-X look.

Shot at ISO 640 with my Biogon 35/2 (my favorite street lens due to its unique signature, but that is a whole other thread); EC +1.5, CC +50, Phase One Pancromatic ICC Profile, Sharpening set at 100 to emphasize noise, Color noise suppression set to Manual with a 0 Amount. Noise Suppression set to low (no way to disable this parameter). First image is the overall scene, second image is a crop from the DNG processed as an 8-bit TIFF @ an image resolution of 240 ppi.

JPlomley

My bad, I forgot to tone....

If it ever stops raining here today, I'll take another trip down to Old Montreal and run another series of tests at ISO 1250.

David K

Workshop Member
Love gritty black and white images. Irakly, that painted guy on the wall looks like Humphrey Bogart. Those first two shots are awesome.