The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Really Right Stuff now takes pre-orders for the modular L-plate and grip system for L

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
ReallyRightStuff now has the Modular L-Plate and grip system for Leica M8/M9 available for pre-order (see original post here). Shipments will start in June, 2010:

• Replacement base with dovetail
  • Optional L-plate component
  • Optional Grip
The replacement base plate completely replaces the Leica base. This replacement base has an integrated dovetail for mounting in a Really Right Stuff clamp. Use the base alone as a conventional plate, or add an optional vertical component to create the L-plate, or add an optional grip. Both vertical components screws precisely to the base using the included hex key:

More pictures after the break:

Leica News & Rumors

thrice

Ordered mine :)

looks like it'll offer quite a bit of protection in the complete form (grip and 'L') which will inspire a little more confidence in handling for me. The biggest thing I look forward to is vertical orientation landscapes in windy conditions, I worry with the camera 'hanging' off the side of the ballhead at the moment.

Tom M

I just ordered mine as well.

They made no mention of it being a pre-order or a back-order, so I'm hoping to see it soon.

Tom

Stuart Richardson

I kind of wish they just made a fitted plate like all their other cameras...I don't want to have to replace the baseplate...no more Luigi case if I go that route. I think I will stick with the regular one where I just take it out of the case and put the plate on. The camera is light enough that that it still gives a very secure hold.

Scargos2

For a M8 or M9 to me this is a over kill, IMHO.
I have a Giottos Mh1302-655 Ball Head w/QR plate and holds 18 Lbs. for $129.99
What more do you need. Camera and lens do not weigh any way near this.
This is light weight set up.
at B&H /www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/490021-REG/Giottos_MH1302_655_MH_1302_Pro_Series_II.html