The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best 3 lens film kit

D&A

Hi Aswin,

As you well know, picking lenses to take on such a trip is most often personal and goes along with ones style of shooting. There is no right or wrong..just whats best for you and what you feel comfortable with, in capturing the kind of shots you strive for.

Personally if every focal length were available but had to limit to a four lens kit, for myself it would be 21, 28, 50, 90 ..even though my favorite lens is 35mm and I also adore the 135 f4. Reasoning is 28mm seems to be a bit more flexable in travel photography as opposed to a 35mm. A 50mm is a must except if your 75mm is a cron (see below)..which emulates the great 50mm lenses. My second choice would be 21, 35, 50, 90 since for me 35 & 50 are totally different. I possibly could substitute the 135mm for the 90mm. Lastly there is a reason why I haven't included a 75mm in a 21, 35, 75, 135 kit as you basically suggested and thats because my 75mm is the Summilux, which cannot be substututed for a fast focusing 50mm or even for something like the 75mm cron. As you know, the 75mm Lux has a unique look especially for portraits but is reasonably slow and methotical to work with (as great as it is).

Knowing your wonderful images, whatever you take, you're going to come back with shots that are going to wow us all. Lets us know what you decide.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

thankg, Ramosa and Dave. Right now, I am leaning towards the 24/35/75/135 combo, because I'd prefer to have an efficient kit for travel.

Dave, my 75 is the 'cron, so I think I could get by with it as a close enough emulator of the 50 lux asph (plus, since I got this lens, I keep wishing to use it more, and here's my chance).

50 and 90 are more in my comfort zone, for sure, but I think I can accomodate to the 24/35/75/135 kit. What I'll probably do to decide is take the kit out for a spin somewhere local and crowded and see what I can do with it....

I'll keep you all posted, and either kit will fit in my bag....don't think I could go wrong ; )

N

normanchoi

Hey Ashwin, where will you be going to? and what do you plan to shoot? will help define what you should bring

In your proposed combo, I don't see the 0.95 on the list? What happen? You have a wonderful NYC collection and you won't be able to achieve quite the same with others.

FYI, I am also debating of what I should bring in my upcoming Central America trip.

Off topic question, do you use any magnifier with the 0.95?

exile

Since I last posted a preference for 21/35/90, I have almost exclusively used 21/2.8ZM, 35/1.2CV, 50/1.5 J3 sonnar... guess I was wrong!

Seascape

Basic 2 lens kit 35 and 75, add a 24 for a 3 lens kit.

Pick the lens speed with some consideration for kit size, my choices 24 Elmarit, 35 Lux ASPH, 75 Cron Apo.....nice balance of speed and size :thumbs: