The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8/9 with one extra lens: best small bag.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have tried lots of bags, but Oscar Day Bag is far and above the rest. It might be a bit bigger than what you have in mind, but it holds the M securely and anything smaller that I have tried has made me feel that the M might fall out or that the zipper was in the way or that it was a pain to hook.

tom in mpls

How interesting that so many have voiced their opinions on another bag question. Thanks!

I like the A&A GCAM 1100 and ACAM 7100. The first bag has a zipper across the top, which some object to as it could scratch the camera. The second bag has a flap with no zipper; looks great, but since it doesn't seal, will it keep the contents dry if one is caught in the occasional shower?

lmr

Camera bag is such a personal thing; there is always something that is just not quite right... For me, Velcro is noisy. Zipper with flap, w/o Velcro and does not scream... "Look, a camera bag" would be great.... something of a man purse :) From your last post... GCAM110 looks good w/ non scratch zipper. Always carry a plastic bag in case it rain.

Robert.

gDallasK

Black / Black Billingham Hadley Digital. It will take my M9 with lens mounted and two further lenses at the sides with a front pocket for bits and pieces.

GMB

When I got my M7 with 35 cron and 90 Elmar some 5 years ago in NYC, i went from Tamarkin into a camera shop across and bought a small and very cheap bag, I think from Tamrak, in which the camera + lens fit perfectly. The bag mentioned something digital. I thought this was ideal, as I did not want to attract attention to an expensive toy. I still use this bag frequently with the M9/M8 when I go out with one extra lens.

sjg284

I'm testing out new kit-
Jack Spade Messenger bag, but with zipper top (no flap, no velcro) ~ 13x5x10"
And adding a Billingham insert~ 6x4x7"

Will be here shortly.
I've always been happy with the design, quality and size of their bags.. so hopefully all goes well.

thrice

Another option, is Herringbone bags, I got one on ebay (stun bag small) and it's excellent! The craftsmanship is incredible for the price, almost as good as Billingham - I only say almost because you've got to get SOMETHING for the extra a Billingham costs even if I can't find what, in direct comparison.

It's a bit too big for one body + two lens. It's only slightly taller than a Domke f-5xb but slimmer. It's got the top handle and comes with great modular dividers. Here's what I've fit in it:
  • M9 w/50mm Sonnar mounted
  • 18mm ZM
  • 25mm ZM under 18mm with divider between
  • 35mm/2.8 ZM
  • 90mm Elmarit-M under 35mm with double-sided optec rear cap
  • 18mm & 25mm finders
  • RF75 holder & one ND grad
  • Glass from 77mm Linear Pol I use in RF75
  • Cleaning cloth.
  • 4 spare batteries and tool to remove thumbs up

Thanks to the extra height it should accomodate the RRS L bracket and grip when that arrives.

Thankfully no zip to scratch the camera and no noisy velcro!

All this in a footprint roughly the same as the Domke F-5XB made from 5 layer waterproof canvas and leather! I'm really impressed by this new bag, in case you didn't notice :p

I'll take a picture of it to share later, sorry for posting such a 'big' bag in a small bag thread, but I just wanted to share.

Downside? No belt loop. I may take it into the tanners and get a nice strong black leather one added (the bag is all black with nickel hardware).

Last edited:

Braeside

Here's a thought: Get this Billingham insert and stick into any bag of your choice:

http://www.billingham.co.uk/acatalog/Accessories.html (bottom of page)
This is kind of what I do, I have many camera bags, none perfect by any means.

With current restrictions on size and weight of carry on bag for air travel, I quite often take as large a carry on bag as I can, so that I can pack all the camera gear and those multitude of accessories you need, chargers, leads, adaptors, blowers, cloths, hard drives, etc.

Then when I get to the destination I need a smaller day bag for carrying just the camera and a couple of lenses, spare batteries, cards, blower, lens cloth and space for some documents, wallet, maybe phone, sunscreen, water.

So, I bought a small messenger type bag, which was a fraction of the price of anything sold that is sold as specifically for camera gear (like 10% of the price), it doesn't look like I am carrying $$$ of gear. Inside I have a base from a Billingham bag (it was far too bulky and awkward to open, extremely poor design, but I was given it for free), and some Billingham inserts. I also put the Billingham clip-on shoulder pad on the shoulder strap of my messenger bag.

So my advice, mix and match, that way you get what you want and it doesn't look like a camera bag (if that is what you want).

This bag takes up very little space in my suitcase when I travel, indeed it gets packed with other items inside the suitcase.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
i LOVE my Artist and Artisan Oscar Day Bag http://www.artisanandartist.com/bags/acam7100.htm

you should also check out these new bags

http://www.photovillage.com/home.php?cat=2773
I own or have owned many of the bags referred to in this thread, but it's the A&A Oscar that gets daily use with an M9 +35+50+90 plus Leica tabletop tripod, and small bits and pieces, for several years now. I've sprayed it with Scotchgaurd, which needs to be renewed periodically. I've never had a problem with water getting in.

From the Photovillage site it looks like most of the AA bags have become Black Label bags. Sean Reid, in reviewing the Black Label Image Smith II describes how this happened and notes that the bag's zippers are now waterproof.

charlesphoto

Billingham small Hadley is a great bag. M8/9 and two-four lenses easily. Carried this all over Europe for a month and held up great in a serious downpour in Istanbul.

Had an A/A bag with the flap but the velcro drove me crazy.

ramosa

Tom: That's OK. There are so many fine cameras out there. I guess we're each meant to find the right one, whether its a compact or RF or SLR or a medium-format, etc.

I'll throw my .02 in..

I use a Think Tank Speed Changer. It has a secure strap that I can run my belt through it, or it's small enough that I drop it in a standard messenger bag w/ my iPad and I'm set for client meetings and whatever. I can fit my M8 w/ 40 1.4 attached, and have room for a second lens or my SB-600 without any issues.

ramosa

Domke F-5xb: ditto.

I have two Domke's--and this one gets the most use. Perfect for an M body with attached lens, plus two additional lenses (and other small equipment). There are lots of great bags, but it depends of the size (of course), but also the look. I prefer an understated, durable bag, one that does not scream, "Expensive camera equipment inside." Domke's fit the bill in this regard.

woodleica

I second the Billingham Hadley digital. Takes an M9 with a lens and two other lenses. Has a small pocket in the front. Small, light and waterproof.

seakayaker

I recently purchased the ARTISAN & ARTIST* ACAM-7100 BLACK CAMERA BAG from Popflash:

http://www.popflash.com/camera-bags-cases/artisan-artist-acam-7100-black-camera-bag-new/

I use the bag to carry the M8.2 with a 35/2, 50/1.5 and 75.1.8 lens, spare battery & memory card and micro fiber cleaning cloth.

Love the size and how it fits to the body with a long strap with very comfortable shoulder padding. The downside would be the velcro noise when opening and wish they offered a solutions similar to the Crumpler bag where you can cover the velcro and just use the clasp for closure.

There is also a A 7200 bag which is smaller than the 7100 which may be a better match to the title of thread 'Best Small Bag.'