The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8/9 with one extra lens: best small bag.

Photojazz

Bags, always an interesting topic! The Crumpler 5 million bag is not a bad option for light travel. Also, think Tank has the Retro series, that is very inconspicuous looking. Only thing is on the Crumpler, it doesn't come with the shoulder relief pad like the 6 and 7 million do.

P

pindy

Domke F-5XA. All the good features of the F-5XB, but a little smaller. Relatively inexpensive (esp compared to the A&A stuff). Should fit your body+lens+lens perfectly.
+1 :thumbup: for the F-5XA

The F-5XB is great, but too big if you simply want the camera with lens attached and one extra lens.

Photojazz

I wound up getting a Billingham Hadley smaller one that handles M9 with mounted lens and X1. Remove X1, it would carry 1 or 2 lenses as long as they are stacked with divider between, in soft sacks, etc... The leather straps take a bit of getting used to, but they are not to bad to operate. My only beef about the bag is no top handle and no strap stress releif cushion. The strap is for sitting places.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, this isn't really any use to the OP, but here's my travel kit.

I inherited this bag from my Dad; it is at least 25 years old. Sturdy canvas, water-proof but not water-tight. Measures 30 cms (1 ft) across, by 15 cms (6 inches) front to back and 22 cms (9 inches) deep. Very comfortable strap - can be used "across body" if desired.

It carries my M9 with 50 Lux fitted, 21 Elmarit, 28 Cron, 35 Lux, 75 Cron and 135 Apo T.

The outer pocket carries spare batteries and SD cards, 21 mm viewfinder and - yes - my back-up X1. A rear "envelope" compartment carries airline tickets and passports.

Now the bad news. It has no brand name on it whatsoever, just a Made in Korea tag!

Like I said, quite unhelpful!

jonoslack

Well, this isn't really any use to the OP, but here's my travel kit.
I wouldn't expect it to be much help to the OP anyway - if Tom hasn't been able to make his mind up since last May, then he's slower at choosing bags than at choosing equipment! (not sure he has an M8/M9 anymore anyway) :ROTFL:

Godfrey

Domke F5XB.
Lowepro Terraclime 100.
One of the smaller Billinghams or Fogg bags.

When I had Leica gear, I used the Domke F5XB. Never too big nor too small.