The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8.2 Dead?

BeeWee

I just got back home from a 3 week trip and noticed that my M8.2 does not cannot turn on. When I flick the switch from "off" to "s" or "c", the orange LED near the bottom right of the LCD screen flashes momentarily but then the camera never boots up (no battery or frame indicator in the window).

Has anyone seen this problem before?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
When the red light flickers it means you have inadequate charge to start up the camera. You have only a few things to try . (1)recharge battery (2)try another battery (3) clean the battery contacts.

Not seen this on the M8.2 but frequently on the DMR. I clean my contacts with a pencil eraser. And use a bulb blower to clean out any dust.

V

Vivek

All good tips from Roger EXCEPT the pencil eraser.

That (eraser) is essentially hardened rubber. The hardening agent is Sulfur (a process called "vulcanisation"). Sulfur loves gold (electrical contacts) and would damage it beyond use after repeated applications.

So, avoid the pencil eraser to clean gold plated contacts.

[related but useful tip: Sulfur has strong affinity to Silver as well. If you cut onions or garlic and want to get rid of the smell quick, touch any silverware. All the smelly stuff (Sulfur compounds) would be transferred to the silverware (blackening it in that process) and you fingers will be smell free.]

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Your local radio shack sells contact cleaner pens that will do this job perfectly without any corrosive side effects.

Lars

All good tips from Roger EXCEPT the pencil eraser.

That (eraser) is essentially hardened rubber. The hardening agent is Sulfur (a process called "vulcanisation"). Sulfur loves gold (electrical contacts) and would damage it beyond use after repeated applications.

So, avoid the pencil eraser to clean gold plated contacts.

[related but useful tip: Sulfur has strong affinity to Silver as well. If you cut onions or garlic and want to get rid of the smell quick, touch any silverware. All the smelly stuff (Sulfur compounds) would be transferred to the silverware (blackening it in that process) and you fingers will be smell free.]
Is this true for all kinds of erasers, or just the traditional rubber-based pink ones that are of the abrasive kind?

GrahamWelland

I think the point is that any eraser is ultimately abrasive and gold plated contacts are soft. Not a great combination for the long term. :thumbdown:

V

Vivek

I think the point is that any eraser is ultimately abrasive and gold plated contacts are soft. Not a great combination for the long term. :thumbdown:
That was not the point.

Sulfur binds to gold and that surface would become non conducting or less conducting over a period of (ab)use with an eraser.

Lars, It is safe to assume all erasers will have Sulfur, though there may be exceptions to this.

BeeWee

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips. I fully recharged the battery and let the camera sit for a good 14hrs and upon putting the battery back the camera came back to life.

I think the camera just drained itself while in the bag.

GrahamWelland

That was not the point.

Sulfur binds to gold and that surface would become non conducting or less conducting over a period of (ab)use with an eraser.

Lars, It is safe to assume all erasers will have Sulfur, though there may be exceptions to this.
Well, it may not have been your point, but it was mine. There's plenty of discussion about the mechanically abrasive nature of erasers on gold and other plated contacts too. :rolleyes: