The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Actuations

Ricnak

Hi.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way of telling the number of actuations for an M9.

Thanks in advance.

Helen

Yes, there is....
Recently, I found a how-to post in one of the forums I visit, but regrettably I can´t find the original post now. I do have the text saved, so I add it here, with many apologies to the original poster who deserves the credit...

"One of the first things to check is the image count of a pre owned camera.
Leica does not make this as easy as Nikon, as the image count is displayed in hexadecimal value.
As long, as you are not an mathematical genius and convert this value in your head, you can use your Mac, to display a more readable value (any other computer will suffice too with any other method of converting the hexadecimal value into a decimal value for easier display).
I refer only to the software here, that comes free with your Mac (which was my goal to find out).
Steps to display shutter actuations of a Leica DNG file:
• open image file in Preview.app
• open inspector
• mark unique image id value (double click on it)
• copy unique image id value (cmd + c)
• open calculator.app (just type "1+1" or any other mathematical formula in spotlight and hit "enter")
• switch view to "programmer" (cmd + 3)
• paste hexadecimal value from unique image id into the calculator (cmd + p)
• switch to decimal system (click the "10 button" on the calculator)
Voila - you now have the actual actuations of your Leica digital M camera!"

It´s somewhat involved, but it does work!