The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice on upgrading to CaptureOne Pro

otumay

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum to bring this question up, but I shall be grateful if you could give me advice on this subject. Presently I'm using CS4 for dust removal, lens correction and fine-tuning, after converting my DNG files to TIFF in C1.
Best,
Osman

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Osman,

Personally I think that Capture One Pro v5 does an outstanding job processing Leica DNG files and I much prefer it to Adobe's RAW processor.

With respect to the dust removal, it is very simple to use and works extremely well. Spot removal is quick and easy. The chromatic aberration & purple fringing tool works well too which is great for analyzing an image and fixing these issues. I don't tend to use the lens correction/vignette correction but they are there and work ok. Unfortunately it was all of these features that compelled me to buy v5 Pro.

I definitely still use Photoshop for more sophisticated distortion correction such as with wide angle lenses tilted up/down or lateral distortions. Capture One doesn't provide this level of support unfortunately. Similarly I'll also use Photoshop for any cloning as opposed to just spot removal - Capture One can't compete with this either.

What I would say is that in my experience I can process the majority of Leica files directly in Capture One Pro and produce a master image that needs no further work other than sharpening for print. Only a small proportion of images make it to Photoshop other than for cloning work, local adjustments or final sharpening for print.