The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

Lloyd

We had seen the majesty of the Everest. We had traversed the Annapurna range.

We had visited the gracious people, went inside their homes. We had met
fellow travelers along the way from distant lands.

As is often the case, the beauty from afar seems to overwhelm the courage
of those that live and work in the foothills.

The everyday grind, the sunrise to sunset toil, the aspirations of the parents
as well as the dreams of the children are also worth recording.

Without patronizing, without further comments here then is the other view:

Rayyan, thank you for sharing these shots (and the two in the subsequent post). All too often we lose sight of the everyday realities of those with whom we share this planet. We go to exotic places, and see (and share the views of) the places the tourist boards would rather we saw. The truth shown in your images is what is shared around this planet... everyday life. And that is worth recording indeed.​

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

Wow, big Freudian slip there...hahaha....really just a typo (I think...haha). I meant that the Summilux 24, not myself, was amazing. Though I do like myself quite a bit ;)....

haha....to all of you guys (GlennB, Jono, Steve, Jerry, Rayyan, Lloyd, Eleanor), thank you all for your kind words.

1. Glenn, in my very brief use of the 24 'lux, it is a very unique lens...has that magic that reminds me a bit of the 35 lux asph....you'll love it!

2. Eleanor, congrats on the 50 lux. Did you get the pre-asph or asph version? Both are great. The Asph is better, to my eyes, but the pre-asph is outstanding as well, with a more classic look.

3. Jono, you are right. It was very difficult to get rid of the 50 lux asph, which I believe to be the best overall lens (size, cost, performance, price, build) of all Leica lenses, but having the Noctilux f/0.95 eased the burden (it looses on size and cost, but IQ really jumps and is quite similar to the f1/4 asph). Regardless, the deed is done at this end...I may end up with the 50 lux asph down the road, when I can afford to, but for now, I am a happy camper with the 24 lux asph for creative wide angle work!

4. Osman, you live in such an inspiring place, and your shots themselves are so inspiring to me. Make me want to get up and show my home in the same way that you do for your home!

5. Rayyan, lovely captures of the street vendor cart. I love how you are processing your images and framing things. Amazing work, my friend!

6. Jerry: Hi, Jerry. Yeah, the 24 lux is a nice focal length (albeit a bit wide) for environmental portraits. I think of the lens a bit more as a story telling lens, given that it providers more field of view. MFD is 0.7 m, I believe, so you can get close and really make use of depth of field. A close focussing distance, you could easily do head to waist shots, depending on the size of the individual ;). Surely, you'll make magical images if you decide to go for it.

7. Mike, the M8 is no slouch. Enjoy that camera. It's outstanding, as are your images!

8. Lloyd, thank you so much, despite my text slippage and inadvertent narcissism...haha...I am loving the lens, and can't wait to pair it with the 35 or 50 lux for some serious low light magic!

Thanks again to everyone! Keep them images comin'!!!

otumay

Ashwin, Steve, Eleanor: Thank you very much. Yes, I love this country with all its paradoxes and its soup of different cultures and ages. I am greatly indebted to all of you for sharing glimpses of your countries the way no tourist (with the possible exception of Rayyan) can.
Rayyan, I love your photos with people and everyday life; you have a magical way of blending anywhere, anytime. I envy you.
Ladies and gentlemen, it is a privilege to belong to this forum.
Best,
Osman

rayyan

Rayyan, thank you for sharing these shots (and the two in the subsequent post). All too often we lose sight of the everyday realities of those with whom we share this planet. We go to exotic places, and see (and share the views of) the places the tourist boards would rather we saw. The truth shown in your images is what is shared around this planet... everyday life. And that is worth recording indeed.

Lloyd: Thank you my friend. We are on the same frequency sir.

rayyan

Ashwin, Steve, Eleanor: Thank you very much. Yes, I love this country with all its paradoxes and its soup of different cultures and ages. I am greatly indebted to all of you for sharing glimpses of your countries the way no tourist (with the possible exception of Rayyan) can.
Rayyan, I love your photos with people and everyday life; you have a magical way of blending anywhere, anytime. I envy you.
Ladies and gentlemen, it is a privilege to belong to this forum.
Best,
Osman
Osman: It is indeed a privilege for me too to belong to this forum. Specially so because of folks like you. You are a true ambassador for your country to this forum my friend. And knowing a little about your country, I am not surprised.

As to my blending in ...well let's just say either I am an ' alien' with a nationality or I am one of them. Work to your advantage Osman.

In the Nordic north I could never be mistaken as one from them:ROTFL:

Peter Klein

I haven't had time to take or post any pictures in the last couple of weeks. Been busy writing a major article, which will be out in about 10 days. Plus ye olde regular job. But I've been seeing all the photos. Everybody is amazing (yes, even you, Ash!) :ROTFL:

It is indeed a pleasure and a privilege to be part of this forum. Now that I've done my latest stint as a (silicon) ink-stained wretch, I'll be back out shooting soon.

Osman, I am fascinated by the photos of your trip, these are places I've never seen before, even in pictures. And Rayran, thanks for the look at daily life in the high country.

--Peter

Last edited:

m_driscoll

It's been a few too many days since I stopped by. Pages of inspiring images. Mike Woods, you have been quite prolific. Great stuff. To all of the usual suspects (Lloyd, Steve, Matt, Osman, Rayyan, f,1.0, Eleanor), outstanding work from you all!!!!

I just acquired a 24 summilux, having had to sadly give up my 50 lux asph to get it (figured, I got the Noct f0.95, so I'd be okay...hahah), and I must say, I AM AMAZING. What a lens! Here are a few from the top of Seattle's Space Needle, taken with the 24 'lux asph on the M9:

And here are 3 from the 50 lux pre-asph...not a shabby lens either:
Ashwin: Congratulations again on the new lens. Excellent photos and pp. Wonderful light. You do very well at that time of day! :thumbup: The lens is excellent, as you've shown, at limiting the DOF. The 50 lux, in your hands, is no slouch either. You took it out to reassure it that it wouldn't be the next 50 to go?

BTW, where were these photos taken?...just kidding. I went up to the top of the needle on the morning of the first day in 1962. Maybe 4th, or 5th elevator load. I was a Service Scout (told tourists where to go, etc.). My mother probably still has my spiffy jacket and scarf. Probably wouldn't fit.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Rayyan, thank you for sharing these shots (and the two in the subsequent post). All too often we lose sight of the everyday realities of those with whom we share this planet. We go to exotic places, and see (and share the views of) the places the tourist boards would rather we saw. The truth shown in your images is what is shared around this planet... everyday life. And that is worth recording indeed.
Rayyan: +1. Well said, Lloyd! :salute::thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Osman: It is indeed a privilege for me too to belong to this forum. Specially so because of folks like you. You are a true ambassador for your country to this forum my friend. And knowing a little about your country, I am not surprised.

As to my blending in ...well let's just say either I am an ' alien' with a nationality or I am one of them. Work to your advantage Osman.

In the Nordic north I could never be mistaken as one from them:ROTFL:
Osman: I'll second what Rayyan said.
Rayyan: The 'alien or blending in' is an apt description. Unfortunately, as Americans, we don't 'blend in' very many places, and we're unaccepted in some. That's a gross generalization because they're still many places that we're received well as a nationality, and many more where we're received well personally. For example, we went to Europe in the Summer of 2002 and everybody liked us except French waiters! :LOL: Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Wow you folks are prolifiic....don't any of you work for a living? :D
Just kidding - anyway, I only really get to shoot at weekends, so I'll bombard you all on a Monday :)
A few from the past couple of days, M8 and Nokton 50mm f1.5 for the first, and the others with the Ultron 35mm:
Regards
Mike
Mike: Keep posting. Great M8 photos. :thumbup: Probably, the majority of us actually work! Although, I know what Ashwin does, so his job may not actually be work :LOL::ROTFL:

otumay

Osman: I'll second what Rayyan said.
Rayyan: The 'alien or blending in' is an apt description. Unfortunately, as Americans, we don't 'blend in' very many places, and we're unaccepted in some. That's a gross generalization because they're still many places that we're received well as a nationality, and many more where we're received well personally. For example, we went to Europe in the Summer of 2002 and everybody liked us except French waiters! :LOL: Cheers, Matt

I second that Matt, I was never able to find a French waiter who did not find me utterly ignorable:cry: