The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

Lloyd

First off, I wanted to thank everyone here for such kind and supportive words (that certainly includes you guys, Lloyd, Matt, Rayyan, Steve, Kurt, Osman, Dierk, DavidE, Daniel, Jono, and so many more of you that I am forgetting). I have been amazed and thrilled by what a supportive group that we have here, and what amazing photographs are shown by you all on a daily basis.

Second, a few more photographs from yesterday's Fremont Solistice Festival, here in Seattle....hope you enjoy! All processing solely in LR3, with M9/50 lux asph used...

First a few in B&W:
This guy really wanted to have is pic taken:

Spoons on the bumper:

Mr. Mystery Ball:

The Cocky Juggler from Phili:

Taking a moment to Text:
These are terrific Ashwin. This first one cracks me up, but it really is a stunning portrait. I love your B/W processing. If you're willing to share, I'd love to know.

ashwinrao1

Thanks so much, Lloyd. I am happy to share. I have switched over the past few days to a LR3 only processing scheme. LR3 is outstanding. I will still use Nik, but haven't needed to. Here's what I do for the BW's.

1. import M9 CR2, and use The B&W "Look 3" or "Look 4" setting. Typically, if an image is well exposed, I use "Look 3", and if underexposed a bit, "Look 4". I play around with brightness and exposure a bit to get a reasonable histogram, usually slightly left shifted.

2. Next, I do a bit of dodging and burning to bring out a more 3D look. I jokingly call this painting with light (I come from a background of oil painting). Particularly, I try to slightly emplasize the highlights a bit, and it gives my portraits more pop. Usually use a dodge setting of 0.4 or so to do this.

3. Next, I switch to the clarity option in the brush, and do a once over the sharp parts of the image, in this case the guy's face, to bring more subjective clarity. Sometimes I do this a couple of times , using new clarity brushes

4. Next I use a split toning setting. I pick a yellow color for highlights, and a bluish color for shdow, but drop saturations of each split tone down to 10-15%, until I get the slightly colored look that I want.

5. Then, I add a bit of highlight-priority vignetting, in this case -20% with a smidge of feathering, to center the image more

6. Finally, I add grain using the new grain tone, usually grain set to 40 for amount, 10 for size, and 30 for roughness. This gives a nice structure to the grain, but prevents it from being too distracting.

That's the nitty gritty.

Best,
Ashwin

ashwinrao1

Agreed with LLoyd. Pham, that portrait and your flower shots are amazing. What lens are you using? Is it an old visio lens?

David, lovely images of the seaside as well!

Steve, THANK you so much for the kind words!!!

Matt, I think you should have skipped work. I managed to sneak through the festival for the few hours that it wasn't raining. It was, per usual Seattle fare, a hoot and a scene! Good stuff....missed the actual parade, though...alas...

ashwinrao1

By the way, here's why I like LR so much...a before and after...

The original image may have as well been a throw away. The revised version ended up with a bit of pop. Some may argue about the pros and cons of digital post-processing. I suspect you may be able to figure out what camp that I am in ;)

Lloyd

By the way, here's why I like LR so much...a before and after...

The original image may have as well been a throw away. The revised version ended up with a bit of pop. Some may argue about the pros and cons of digital post-processing. I suspect you may be able to figure out what camp that I am in ;)
I'm with you, I'm really love the LR3. And as for this before/after. GET OUTTA HERE!! THAT'S UNREAL. :eek:

Lloyd

Thanks so much, Lloyd. I am happy to share. I have switched over the past few days to a LR3 only processing scheme. LR3 is outstanding. I will still use Nik, but haven't needed to. Here's what I do for the BW's.

1. import M9 CR2, and use The B&W "Look 3" or "Look 4" setting. Typically, if an image is well exposed, I use "Look 3", and if underexposed a bit, "Look 4". I play around with brightness and exposure a bit to get a reasonable histogram, usually slightly left shifted.

2. Next, I do a bit of dodging and burning to bring out a more 3D look. I jokingly call this painting with light (I come from a background of oil painting). Particularly, I try to slightly emplasize the highlights a bit, and it gives my portraits more pop. Usually use a dodge setting of 0.4 or so to do this.

3. Next, I switch to the clarity option in the brush, and do a once over the sharp parts of the image, in this case the guy's face, to bring more subjective clarity. Sometimes I do this a couple of times , using new clarity brushes

4. Next I use a split toning setting. I pick a yellow color for highlights, and a bluish color for shdow, but drop saturations of each split tone down to 10-15%, until I get the slightly colored look that I want.

5. Then, I add a bit of highlight-priority vignetting, in this case -20% with a smidge of feathering, to center the image more

6. Finally, I add grain using the new grain tone, usually grain set to 40 for amount, 10 for size, and 30 for roughness. This gives a nice structure to the grain, but prevents it from being too distracting.

That's the nitty gritty.

Best,
Ashwin
Thank you BIG TIME! You're a gentleman and a scholar. :thumbup:

Braeside

David, Very Sharp With Wonderful Rendering Of Color!
Thanks, I am very impressed with this lens, the sharpness at 100% is amazing, right out to the corners (of the M8), you cannot really tell how good it is from these web reduced photos.

m_driscoll

These are all good Pham, but that portrait is really stunning. :salute:
Pham: +1, nice portrait

I don't know how you could take the pressure of that kind of scrutiny Matt. :D
Lloyd: Pretty serious looking, isn't he? ;)

...Matt, I think you should have skipped work. I managed to sneak through the festival for the few hours that it wasn't raining. It was, per usual Seattle fare, a hoot and a scene! Good stuff....missed the actual parade, though...alas...
Ashwin: You're right. I should have. I did get the parade (w/D3s and a Leica DL-4) (Parental Warning!): http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/p227269964. It ran right by my office for about 3 hrs. Couldn't leave if i wanted to. My car was blocked in. :LOL:

I'm with you, I'm really love the LR3. And as for this before/after. GET OUTTA HERE!! THAT'S UNREAL. :eek:
Ashwin: Nice. I've copy clipped it and will be trying it. Hope you don't mind?

Cheers, Matt

mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

ashwinrao1

Wow, OUTSTANDING, Matt. Love the guitar player and the hands...is this from your workshop! Another remarkable collection!!!

rayyan

Second, a few more photographs from yesterday's Fremont Solistice Festival, here in Seattle....hope you enjoy! All processing solely in LR3, with M9/50 lux asph used...

First a few in B&W:
This guy really wanted to have is pic taken:
Ashwin: Superb work. The framing and the tonality...wow!! Love all of them but I really adore this one. brilliant.:thumbs:

Well done pal.

ashwinrao1

A few more...

Steve, take 2 (B&W, slightly different than the color version)

My pops...(does the flare work here? not sure...)

Bob and Supinda

Baby Dean

The Caffreys

Andy and Daughter Genevieve