The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

jonoslack

Lloyd, Aswin, Steve - thank you.
Here is a bit of attitude:

But there's no reason to take it seriously

(both with M9 and 50 'lux - changing lenses at festivals stinks!

m_driscoll

Lost for words in terms of the quality you people turn out. That learning curve is looking steeper by the day :bugeyes:
Anyway, a quickie from me, called 'Blue' - Ultron 35mm:

Regards
Mike
Mike: Great photo. The bluish tint and the vignetting works! :thumbup:

...Matt - love the Lavender shots, especially the first and second...
here is another of someone much cooler than me!
M9 50 'lux
Not everything is cool at festivals . . . especially when you've been eating that chillie sauce:

M9, 50 'lux (it's tough to focus when you're holding your nose!)
...Here is a bit of attitude:

But there's no reason to take it seriously

(both with M9 and 50 'lux - changing lenses at festivals stinks!
Jono: Thank you. Terrific photos from the festival. Do more "kids" smoke these days? 1. Aviator glasses; "hey dude" tilt to the head; cool image; one he'd like when he's 60. 2. "Sanikans" here are totally closed in; No feet; I like the composition (especially since I don't have to smell it). 3. Well, you'd have to have "attitude" to dress like that! low angle, stealthy shot; perfect pp and moment captured. 4. The overexposure works for me.
:thumbup: (insert thumbsup here) (insert salute here)

Monday's post. M9 + 50mm Lux Asph.
Woody: A series of 50 lux photos all of a sudden. Excellent framing, IQ, and color. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Arjuna

"I like the last one"Arjuna: +1, +1, nice photos! Excellent framing and general IQ. How far out of Calgary did you go? For what it's worth, IMHO, i agree and think you could improve color balance. Needs more "intensity". Have you tried Levels in PS? More clarity/vibrance/saturation/contrast in ACR5?

Cheers, Matt"

Many thanks for the encouragement from Lloyd, Mohammed, and Matt - the quality, and quantity, on this thread can be a bit daunting.

Matt - Yamnuska is on the Eastern edge of the Rockies - an hour or less west of Calgary, 10 minutes north of the trans-canada highway.

I use curves much more than levels in PS, at the moment anyway. I tend to a rather dense, saturated style, like slightly under-exposed slide film, which is my history, but I usually find the ACR5 colours quite garish and surreal, at least when compared with the RPP results - on their own they seem fine. I used to use clarity regularly on my little Canon's files, but I don't find that the M8 files need it, and I have gone from bicubic-sharper to bilinear when downsizing M8 files for the web, as bicubic-sharper seemed to produce rather 'crunchy' results. I often apply the Linear Contrast preset under curves, as it seems quite often to be just the right amount. I am also still learning the camera - I have it on Auto ISO, as that seems to be intelligent functionality, but ISO is not displayed in the viewfinder, so I don't notice until reviewing the files how often it is pushing the ISO. I am also becoming more aware of the danger of overexposing the highlights of a digital file - it can look very ugly.

Perhaps, on another thread, I should take a file, process it a couple of different ways, keeping track of what I do, and post the results (plus the raw file) for comments and suggestions.

Again, many thanks,

Ross

m_driscoll

"I like the last one"Arjuna: +1, +1, nice photos! Excellent framing and general IQ. How far out of Calgary did you go? For what it's worth, IMHO, i agree and think you could improve color balance. Needs more "intensity". Have you tried Levels in PS? More clarity/vibrance/saturation/contrast in ACR5?

Cheers, Matt"

Many thanks for the encouragement from Lloyd, Mohammed, and Matt - the quality, and quantity, on this thread can be a bit daunting.

Matt - Yamnuska is on the Eastern edge of the Rockies - an hour or less west of Calgary, 10 minutes north of the trans-canada highway.

I use curves much more than levels in PS, at the moment anyway. I tend to a rather dense, saturated style, like slightly under-exposed slide film, which is my history, but I usually find the ACR5 colours quite garish and surreal, at least when compared with the RPP results - on their own they seem fine. I used to use clarity regularly on my little Canon's files, but I don't find that the M8 files need it, and I have gone from bicubic-sharper to bilinear when downsizing M8 files for the web, as bicubic-sharper seemed to produce rather 'crunchy' results. I often apply the Linear Contrast preset under curves, as it seems quite often to be just the right amount. I am also still learning the camera - I have it on Auto ISO, as that seems to be intelligent functionality, but ISO is not displayed in the viewfinder, so I don't notice until reviewing the files how often it is pushing the ISO. I am also becoming more aware of the danger of overexposing the highlights of a digital file - it can look very ugly.

Perhaps, on another thread, I should take a file, process it a couple of different ways, keeping track of what I do, and post the results (plus the raw file) for comments and suggestions.

Again, many thanks,

Ross
Ross: Very beautiful up there. My niece and her family live in Calgary. It sounds like you certainly know what you're doing with the pp. Everybody seems to have a preferred process that gets them an image they like (I haven't figured it out yet, so my pp's all over the map). Overexposing's my biggest problem, esp. with these fast lenses. Can't fix it in PP. Keep posting. Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

jonoslack

Osman - thank you for the kind words - I'm still swooning over your beautiful waterfall (and, to be honest, waterfall shots usually leave me rather cold).

These are all M8, 35 mm Summarit. I am still struggling with my processing: most of these are RPP+PS5 - I find that mostly RPP is vastly superior to ACR5, but it tends to require more PS work, after the raw conversion, naturally enough. The ridge shot is all Adobe though, as I couldn't get close with the RPP version. Colour balance is my main problem - I may have to start using my WhiBal card more, particularly for flower shots, until I get better at it.
HI There
Nice shots - I like the Red Lily and the last view shot the best, but I reckon that the colours look a little flatter than you perhaps meant?

Of course, that could be what you're looking for, in which case it works pretty well.

I'm a lazy goodfornothing, and my view of your workflow is that it's terribly complicated (and it must be terribly time consuming as well). I'm quite aware that some converters are better than others in some cases, but generally speaking the differences are small, but the disconnect you (Me of course) get by swapping between makes things difficult.

The two major DAM packages: Aperture and Lightroom, both do a really good job with the M8 files, and the benefits bestowed by a simpler workflow and therefore more time to learn the nuances of the packages can make things much easier.

I very rarely spend more than 5 minutes on PP on any image - usually less than a minute (of course, you might say and it shows :)). I know what I want, and I go and get it , my problem is perhaps that I'm not very consistent in what I want, which means that the results lack coherence (but that's just a reflection of me!).

As for colour . . . . well, it seems to me that it's rather like carrying a big pile of magazines, as long as you leave it well alone they stay stacked up, but if you try pulling one out the whole lot goes.

Of course, you can mess with the white balance, but surely what you are after is a reflection of the natural light, where a mid grey probably isn't mid grey?

I've long since changed to using Daylight white balance in daylight - it gives me a real understanding of how the camera deals with colour, and, of course, if necessary it's easy to do a batch change to a number of images at once. Recently, I was doing some Auto White Balance testing for someone else, and it simply reminded me of how messy things can become, especially in mixed light and shade.

I seem to be going on - sorry, and probably it's all rubbish anyway. What I'm trying to say is that simplicity is really helpful, and when you pare things down to the basics (one program, one WB, one sensor) suddenly things are clearer, and it's easy to understand what you really do want, and to change things accordingly.

right . . . set soapbox off :)

otumay

Thank you very much, Jono. Your responses are always highly appreciated. This waterfall could also leave you cold, freezing cold, if you believe me:ROTFL:

jonoslack

Thank you very much, Jono. Your responses are always highly appreciated. This waterfall could also leave you cold, freezing cold, if you believe me:ROTFL:
As are your responses Osman . . . as for the cold, I'm the man who swims in the North Atlantic in February and breaks the ice on the garden pond in the winter for a dip . . . . .but you could be right:ROTFL: