The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

shtarka1

Mimi left the house at 5:45am this morning, and pulled into the driveway at 9:25pm tonight. About 10 minutes later, I looked out and she was still sitting in her car sending composing an email to a co-worker. Just another typical day!

I went out and shot this through the car window. The only light is from the screen of her phone.

M8, Nocti 1.0 @ f1,0, 1/4 sec, ISO 2500:
You & the Noct Doing a Special Forces Night Mission! :salute:

eleanorbrown

I have a question for those who shoot with a 24mm lens on the m9... I jst ordered one and DO NOT want to bother with the external finder...how easy is it to estimate the framing through the regular camera viewfinder? Thanks Eleanor

Lloyd

Lloyd, what stealth! Very moody!
Lloyd: Nice stealthy capture! Unguarded concentration and dedication after a long day. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
You & the Noct Doing a Special Forces Night Mission! :salute:
Thanks guys. I had to guess on the focus, I couldn't see a thing. I supposed I could have turned on the night vision feature of the Nocti, eh?:D
View attachment 35096

Paratom

I have a question for those who shoot with a 24mm lens on the m9... I jst ordered one and DO NOT want to bother with the external finder...how easy is it to estimate the framing through the regular camera viewfinder? Thanks Eleanor
Frienkly: you can guess but IMO it is not possible to accuratly frame and you will have to crop more often.
I use an external finder (the digilux 4 finder) but occasionly dont use it when I feel I need to be fast and want to use the rangefinder for accurate focusing.

IMO one big advantage of rangefinders is that you see a little bit more in the viewfinder. For me its stress for the eyes if I have to try to see the outer edges outside the 28mm frame in order to guess what I get with 24mm.

But why not just check yourself. You can use it without and see how it works and then allways add an external viewfinder if you feel you need it.

shtarka1

Just recently acquired the M9 and really appreciating the excellent images in this forum.
Here are some very recent shots with M9 with 35 Summicron Asph and ZM 25/2.8.
Charles, congrats on the new M9 & welcome to the forum! Very nice set!

eleanorbrown

Thanks for the info. Actually the type of shooting I do doesn't really require exact framing. I'm hoping I can get a good idea by looking just outside the 28mm frame lines. Eleanor

Frienkly: you can guess but IMO it is not possible to accuratly frame and you will have to crop more often.
I use an external finder (the digilux 4 finder) but occasionly dont use it when I feel I need to be fast and want to use the rangefinder for accurate focusing.

IMO one big advantage of rangefinders is that you see a little bit more in the viewfinder. For me its stress for the eyes if I have to try to see the outer edges outside the 28mm frame in order to guess what I get with 24mm.

But why not just check yourself. You can use it without and see how it works and then allways add an external viewfinder if you feel you need it.

Don Libby

Eleanor, last month I ordered a 28mm only to be sent a 24mm which in turn I found I really like. I personally don't like the idea of a bunch of extras that I have to carry around with me and lose. (It took me close two years to get a viewfinder for my Cambo).

That said I've found I've been able to capture what I wanted/expected using the 24mm without an external viewfinder. Of course this might all be different if I shot something other than landscape. We're headed to Jackson Hole the end of the month and I'm looking forward to using the lens in and around Jenney Lake.

Don

eleanorbrown

Thanks don, I was hoping you would chime in here...for me, getting extra "stuff" just defeats what I like about the m9 system...compact and small and light. I decided on the 24 2.8 which is quite small ......Eleanor .

Eleanor, last month I ordered a 28mm only to be sent a 24mm which in turn I found I really like. I personally don't like the idea of a bunch of extras that I have to carry around with me and lose. (It took me close two years to get a viewfinder for my Cambo).

That said I've found I've been able to capture what I wanted/expected using the 24mm without an external viewfinder. Of course this might all be different if I shot something other than landscape. We're headed to Jackson Hole the end of the month and I'm looking forward to using the lens in and around Jenney Lake.

Don

Don Libby

Thanks don, I was hoping you would chime in here...for me, getting extra "stuff" just defeats what I like about the m9 system...compact and small and light. I decided on the 24 2.8 which is quite small ......Eleanor .
No problems. Now if I could only get the 135mm before next month...

Jackson Hole in the Fall with moose, buffalo and elk all taken with a M9 and 135mm lens. Only been waiting since May and still no clear idea of when it'll get to me. Actually I do - it'll be delivered 2-weeks after I return:p

Don

eleanorbrown

Don, you all have a great time in Wyoming....we love that area and have been to yellowstone quite a few times. good luck on getting your 135 in time! Colors are changing here where we are in Colorado...just walked down the trail by my house and got a few shots...it was raining (not hard) so my M9 got wet. Any experience shooting your m9 in rain or snow?? I've heard it's not very weatherproofed like the canon's and nikons. eleanor

No problems. Now if I could only get the 135mm before next month...

Jackson Hole in the Fall with moose, buffalo and elk all taken with a M9 and 135mm lens. Only been waiting since May and still no clear idea of when it'll get to me. Actually I do - it'll be delivered 2-weeks after I return:p

Don

Don Libby

Don, you all have a great time in Wyoming....we love that area and have been to yellowstone quite a few times. good luck on getting your 135 in time! Colors are changing here where we are in Colorado...just walked down the trail by my house and got a few shots...it was raining (not hard) so my M9 got wet. Any experience shooting your m9 in rain or snow?? I've heard it's not very weatherproofed like the canon's and nikons. eleanor
I used the M9 extensively while in Yosemite earlier this year (February). I kept the camera around my neck and tucked into my jacket when I actually wasn't using it. It rained, drizzled, sleeted and snowed that week and the only problem I encountered was the viewfinder fogging up one day however that cleared up shortly after returning to the room guess it was my body heat inside the jacket then taking it out into the cold for the capture. I think light rain, drizzle or snow should be okay so long as it's protected in-between shots and continuously wiped down. Not the best protected camera but boy oh boy what beautiful images!

Are you going to share some of your recent images?

Don

mathomas

Thanks Lloyd and Matt, for your comments!

Lloyd, I didn't realize you had a Noctilux. Was this a recent purchase, or is this just the first time I've noticed? Either way, incredible results in near darkness.