The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

leif e

So many great images, folks!

We - in the cold North - are seeing the heels of Autumn and Winter lurking behind. Frost this morning. And a fantastic weather for a week now. Lucky me have been able to work at home a bit, so long hikes in the woods in between reading sessions and one to the Oslofjord shore today. M8 and CV 1,4/35.
leif e

Last edited:

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Stef, wonderful shot of yours on this page.

Leif, love seeing the Oslofjord from any vantage point ... especially from further south than I've seen it. How's it look in color?

Thanks, Chris.

eleanorbrown

Thanks Woody!...all so fascinating to me...get out into the neighborhoods...do the book! Eleanor

Eleanor - The answers to you questions are a suitable subject for a book. One of my goals in doing a daily photo blog is to write this book in a visual sense. Your question encourages me to get out into neighborhoods.

Compare and contrast Houston and Manhattan - where to start. People walk a lot more here - where I live in Carnegie Hill is about a 45 minute walk to my midtown office, which I do when it's not too humid, wet or hot (conditions that are well-understood in Houston), or cold. Public transportation, the subway, is safe, fast and cheap. Car ownership is expensive: monthly garage rental for parking is equivalent to lease payments on a good car - car ownership here basically costs twice what it does in Houston. People tend to use cars for escapes and major errands. It's common for people to own weekend escapes outside of the city, modest or grand depending on the person's means.

On 24 hour noise and congestion, it depends on where you live. Carnegie Hill, parts of the upper west side and of Greenwich Village are like leafy suburbs, populated with families with school-age children. People tend to find communities in organizations such a churches and schools, or in their work, much like anyplace else.

One critical difference between the cities is zoning vs. no zoning at all. When you look at Manhattan what you're actually seeing is the zoning envelope - buildings are built to the edge of it, within millimeters because the real estate is so expensive. Park Avenue north of 57th street is a result of the zoning envelope without setbacks or "air rights" transfers; the lipstick building is built within the envelope for its plot, but with credits for setbacks, some limited "plaza" space and an "amenity" - a street level subway entrance, all of which permitted IM Pei to add floors at the top. It's viewed by critics as a cynical exploitation of the zoning regulations. The Seagram building got to build higher because of the plaza; the building behind the Racquet Club built higher because the Racquet Club sold the developer the "air rights" above the club. Air rights transfers are the main cause of the skyline's jagged appearance.

kuau

Workshop Member
A few from last night around Deer Valley, UT.
Still trying to get a handle on white balance and the m9

eleanorbrown

Few shots taken before I leave for Houston. These taken on the upper Middle Fork of the Snake river near Montezuma, a few minutes drive from my home here in Colorado. Had evening light and the water was bluish because this area of the Snake gets some run off from an old mining operation up much higher. Think the county is trying to clean up the mine runoff but the water looks almost a bit like glacier melt (also a bit cloudy). The early evening light make it look even more bluish.....Leica M9 35 cron lens. Eleanor

kuau

Workshop Member
Hmm,
Stupid question.
I am on a Mac, running Safari of course, and when I upload images to the forum, the images look totally different then what they look like on my screen.
Yes I am saving them as 8 bit jpegs SRGB profile...
Any ideas?
Steven

kuau

Workshop Member
Hmm,
Stupid question.
I am on a Mac, running Safari of course, and when I upload images to the forum, the images look totally different then what they look like on my screen.
Yes I am saving them as 8 bit jpegs SRGB profile...
Any ideas?
Steven

ashwinrao1

Recent trip to Philly, here are a couple more...The Bridge is the Ben Franklin Bridge. M9, and either the 24 lux or Noct f0.95