The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Jack and Guy, come on, jump back on the Leica bandwagon, It's the closest thing to MF I have seen to date.
How true, I am missing my digital M and look forward to get an M9 pretty soon. With the right primes an optimal instrument for great images and with stitching also a great tool for landscape.

eleanorbrown

I have been so taken with my M9 (never in a million years did I think I would ever own a Leica...I thought that was the world of street shooters only and besides I looked at those folks who had Leica's almost as a "cult"....) Little did I know! the only Leica I've ever even "held" much less owned is my dad's very old Leica from the early '40s that recoded my childhood!!

Today I'm beginning to feel a bit guilty that I haven't paid more attention to my H2/P65+ since I got my M9 last March. The portability of my M9 is unprecedented. Case in point...to get the shots I got last night on the river, I had to climb down a steep rocky slope using one hand to steady myself, the other hand holding my M9 on a lightweight tripod to balance...If I had fallen, there was no one to rescue me. Had I had my medium format outfit, I'm not sure if I would have been able to navigate all this as safely. So the M9 with "only" 18 megapixels gives me more options in some cases than my larger heavier system. Besides discounting it's "small" pixel count, the quality of the sensor and magical Leica glass is mesmerizing! Eleanor

How true, I am missing my digital M and look forward to get an M9 pretty soon. With the right primes an optimal instrument for great images and with stitching also a great tool for landscape.

kuau

Workshop Member
Eleanor,
Like yourself, I never thought i would become a leica owner, but ever since taking the plunge, I am a very happy camper and not looking back. Just like you said, when times you don't want to lug around your heavier system, which for me is my H3D-39, The M9 is incredible and even thought the cost is high, there is nothing else out there that even comes close, size, build, and of course excellent German quality.

Steven

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Eleanor & Steven

many thanks for your thoughts. I am already half the way back into Leica M digital - I own almost all the glass and since I sold my M8 this is just waiting to be used again. SHould be pretty soon now ;)

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Very nice, Kuau, Eleanor, Ashwin, Mike.

Love the attitude in your shots, Charles and Vlad.

Eleanor, I understand your thoughts about the MFDB route. I keep debating whether or not to jump back into it, but always pull back after looking at some of the shots I can get with my M9. They are obviously different beasts when it comes to final resolution and detail, but there is a gorgeousness to M9 images that is extremely pleasing. And, when you add in the versatility, usability, size, etc., it makes for a compelling argument for the use of the M9 as an excellent landscape option.

Here's an image from the Milwaukee lakefront.

Kurt

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Yesterday's post from Brooklyn Bridge Park. There are several images - I had trouble editing down to one image. This is with an M9 + 135 APO-Telyt - which I've grown fond of (it has amazing bite) after struggling to master it for some time.

MikeScecina

Workshop Member
I love your coverage of THE city, Woody. I'm anticipating some real stunners from you when the stainless steel clad Beekman Place is completed.
mike

eleanorbrown

Kurt really like how the blue tones in sky and water fit together in this one. I think pixel for pixel my M9 and P65 plus are equal...in fact I think my M lenses are higher quality than my H2 system lenses. Of course the total pixel numbers are vastly different but in many ways the flexibility of the Leica makes up for lack of higher pixel count. Eleanor

Very nice, Kuau, Eleanor, Ashwin, Mike.

Love the attitude in your shots, Charles and Vlad.

Eleanor, I understand your thoughts about the MFDB route. I keep debating whether or not to jump back into it, but always pull back after looking at some of the shots I can get with my M9. They are obviously different beasts when it comes to final resolution and detail, but there is a gorgeousness to M9 images that is extremely pleasing. And, when you add in the versatility, usability, size, etc., it makes for a compelling argument for the use of the M9 as an excellent landscape option.

Here's an image from the Milwaukee lakefront.

Kurt

Last edited:
G

Geortech

Few shots taken before I leave for Houston. These taken on the upper Middle Fork of the Snake river near Montezuma, a few minutes drive from my home here in Colorado. Had evening light and the water was bluish because this area of the Snake gets some run off from an old mining operation up much higher. Think the county is trying to clean up the mine runoff but the water looks almost a bit like glacier melt (also a bit cloudy). The early evening light make it look even more bluish.....Leica M9 35 cron lens. Eleanor

Lovely shots Eleanor. Did You use ND filter with your 35 cron?
I have a few shots from Hilton Fall in Ontario with 35 lux and Voigtlander 15 F4.5 . Please let me know Your coments . Regards George

eleanorbrown

Hi George, you also have some very lovely water shots! On mine I didn't use any ND filter...I waited until the light was low enough to get the exposures I wanted. However the idea of having an ND filter in my bag is appealing because I've turned down many potential water shots because the light was too bright. eleanor

Lovely shots Eleanor. Did You use ND filter with your 35 cron?
I have a few shots from Hilton Fall in Ontario with 35 lux and Voigtlander 15 F4.5 . Please let me know Your coments . Regards George

CharlesK

Thank you Kurt :) Nice shot of Milwaukee lake front.
Nice shot Vlad! The 24 Lux is a great lens :)
Amazing series Woody. No often I see shots with the 135 APO.
Nice shots Ron, my favourite is #1.
George, really nice shots from Hilton Fall.
Eleanor, still admiring your shots from Snake river. Amazing blue, and as you have suggested, almost like a glacial melt.
Thank you Eleanor, for sharing your thoughts with your journey with the M9. My path to having a M9, is only a recent one, since July. I had no intent, but having explored all the options of smaller cameras, I finally opted for the M9, because of IQ, and the outstanding lenses that are available. I must admit it has been a steep learning with PP to maximise the potential of the DNG files. Having 5DII with ZE lenses, although lighter than MF, still becomes very cumbersome and obtrusive. I now find I am using the M9, about 95% of the time, and it is fun to use :D

Steven, definitely sound like a colour management issue with your browser. This can be an issue with wide gamut monitors. There are whole threads on this issue. Good luck :)

Don Libby

We're currently in Gallup NM where we've spent the past 2-nights. Next stop is Ouray CO then Jackson Hole WY on Mon Oct 4th. Wanted to share a couple images from today (there's much more on our blog).