The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Yes the M9 looks to still have that tendency. I got your note BTW so let me bring this up in public for all. In C1 the profile is very nice for the M9 but if anything and you can play with this folks to see if it helps. I know everyone likes saturation but I found compared to the Phase P30 + when I tested which really is the gold standard in regards to WB a scene properly the M9 was a little warm and it was a little saturated. What I did was cool it down a little like 200 or 300 kelvin and backed off on Saturation a few points. Now if you want to go test this out say in bright sun just grab a good color checker card with you and from camera just hold out in front of you take a shot. Than watch the WB in C1 or LR for that matter and use your white balance tool and hit the second grey in from white. Watch the WB change on you as you do that and you should see it get a touch cooler.

Now this is pretty much a Kodak sensor tendency so nothing wrong with your M9 and it's profile and it actually sometimes is preferred to be on the warm side. If you liked Kodachrome there you go. Just some things to get under your belt and understand how these sensors read. If interested go back to my M9 review and i talk a lot about this.
Hope this helps a little.

One thing Cindy mentioned was with fall color she tends to like it a little warm and I completely agree. WB means nothing as long as you are on a calibrated system and you like what you see than the artist takes over on that decision and as it should. Again there are no rules in photography for visual impact, do what you like. I bring these things up more for help in understanding how the process works so folks have this data in there head to work with. The better data you know the less confusion in the field which is not the place to cloud your brain with the junk but concentrate on the shot.

I see this a lot on workshops when folks get wound up on the tech but lose sight of what they are doing with the shot. Totally understandable as we are all learning. But as we get more experience in the process than we have more brain power for the art. That is what you want to get too.
Guy, I know you don't regularly use it, but Lightroom 3 I find the daylight basic color balance with the M9 to be spot on. Surprised me, as the ones for the M8 are total crap still. Artificial light though, it's back to crap in Lightroom.... I've got to get around to making up some of my own night time artificial profiles and see if I can't improve these...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well C1 i use for the Phase so reason I stay with that. Also been using it since day one. I know LR 3 got a lot better and that is a good thing all around.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Steven,
These are all beautiful. I'd like to see the last one printed. It is amazing. What a bummer to see snow coming already.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Sort of a combination list of thanks and great shots to: Charles, Leif, Steven, Steve, Ashwin, Lloyd, Don, Matt, Joe, Jerry, Peter and Eleanor.

More specifically, Chuck great to see you on the thread ... it's been awhile but I can still picture the intimacy and magical colors of the Mexico shots you posted several years ago on that other forum ... they are/were alive in so many wonderful ways.

David K, thanks for the thumbs up. It's interesting to see how others use photography to express their view of the world that is around them. I can feel your smile every time I view one of your exotic model shoots.

Cindy, enjoy the M9! It's an awesome camera. Great to see your views of the colorful Wisconsin landscape ... just head south before you get caught in the cold.

Steven, gorgeous, gorgeous landscape shots. Love the snow on the Aspens.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
What I love best about this thread is its willy-nilly nature. It's a pleasure to open it up each day to see what's new and interesting from such a fine group of fellow photographers. Cheers.

Here are a few more images from the immigration reform march I shot earlier in the year. Personally, I find it fascinating to try to capture the emotions of the people and events caught in the middle ... between the increasingly politically polarized ends of the spectrum that have come to define American living.

Since I have a camera and can make the effort to try to attend these events, I'm consciously trying to more often seek out as many of these situations as I can. It's mostly out of curiosity, a need to understand an issue and the challenge of trying to photographically express the emotion expressed by the participants.

Sometimes my efforts fall flat ... but at other times, if I feel like I'm getting closer to inserting the viewer into the event. In those instances, I feel like I've succeeded in providing insight into the human condition that is more than just a manufactured sound bite.

Many apologies for indulging in my philosophical meandering.

Kurt

David K

Workshop Member
Kurt, your choice of immigration reform as a subject matter is very timely. I've got more interest and more experience than the average person in this area as my business interests include importing golf course maintenance workers under the H2B program. To say that the system is broken would be an understatement. In any event, I really like your execution and processing on these and think it helps to convey the story. And as far as my model shooting goes it does make me smile. One of the nice things about living in Florida is the abundance of very attractive models.

Don Libby

I've been waiting for a new 135mm to arrive in order to take it on this trip and I'm still waiting. I was fortunate enough to find a used one in good condition that I was able to pick up at the very beginning of this trip. I've been using the used one to shoot landscape and now wildlife and really like it. Yesterday Sandy & I decided to take a trip from Jackson into Yellowstone and returning late yesterday afternoon we encountered this herd of bison which were all captured using the 135mm.

I'm sorry that I've been very lax in commenting on the great work here lately however our shooting days are close to 10 hours then we also have the computer time as well. We're averaging around 14 hour days so far and we still have at least 2-weeks to go. Today is our first real rest day although we are planning on going out this afternoon for evening light.

More image are or will be on our blog shortly.

Don

m_driscoll

Pike Place Market. The musician in the hat was just enjoying the sitar player. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

1. M9; 24mm f/1.4; 1/250s @ f/8; -2/3 EV; ISO 80

2. M9; 24mm f/1.4; 1/2000s @ f/1.7; -2/3 EV; ISO 80

3. M9; 24mm f/1.4; 1/2000s @ f/1.7; -2/3 EV; ISO 80

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

edtan

Pike Place Market. The musician in the hat was just enjoying the sitar player. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

1. M9; 24mm f/1.4; 1/250s @ f/8; -2/3 EV; ISO 80

Hi Matt,
Nice shots!
I must have missed the short burst of sun here in Seattle.:LOL:

shtarka1

Guy said that I had to post something from my new M9 (I just got it on Monday from Monza/Precsicion Camera). I also just upgraded my C1 to the Pro version (thanks to Doug/Capture Integration), so I'm taking baby steps. These two are with my $85 Jupiter 8 (Russian 50 f/2).:ROTFL:
Remnant of mid-1800's sawmill on the Mullet River

Just enjoying fall in Wisconsin
Cindy...Big Congrats On The New Rig & A Nice Start With Your Posts! Looking Forward To More..!:)