The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

Vlad

Peter, your Angola pictures literally made my jaw drop. So have many other images in this thread. Phenomenal. This thread is my daily bookmark that I load first in the morning (rather: whenever it is I wake up, usually not the morning hours) and the last thread I visit before going to sleep. Intensely good work.

If I had to give this a name, I'd call it "home sick".

m_driscoll

Hello folks,

There are fabulous images on this forum! I'm following this thread already for some time, but never submitted anything.
Today is the day!
Since June I own the Leica M9 (which I bought together with the Elmarit 28 Asph., since 3 weeks ago I also own the Summilux 50 Asph., and I'm happy as one can be. Believe me.
So, what i need now is feedback. I'm still training myself to hit the sweet spot with the 50 Asph. fully open, however for the shots below I played safe, i.e. close the aperture a bit, just to be able to take more keepers home. The photographs are from a walk through a 'not-so-easy' neighborhood in the outskirts of Luanda, Angola.
I hope you like them. Please let me know you honest opinions.

Cheers, Peter
Peter: My honest opinion is that they're really great (all three sets)! Color, composition pp are all excellent from the first to the last. BTW, that last one is very cool with the movement blur. You really seemed to have a rapport with your subjects. Notwithstanding the sketchy neighborhood, they're smiling and a lot of character comes through in the photos. Thanks for sharing. Luanda's not your usual tourist spot? Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Matt, This Bumps Up To Close To The Top As A Favorite! Love The Low Angle Color,Framing & "Dude" In The Background Jamming! Everything In The Frame Belongs! Excellent!!!:thumbs:
A big ME TOO from here. :thumbup: Lots of good things happening in this one.
Steve/Lloyd: Thank you, gentlemen! :D I often shoot the same subjects from different angles. The Leica does force you to move around to get the framing (that's a +).

Dan: This one's really nice. Excellent framing and proportion of foreground and background. :thumbup:

...Matt; ski tracks and foot paths are marked this way in the woods around here. Sometimes they follow the same track, so to say. :)
leif e
Leif: Thanks for the info. Makes sense that they follow the same path, but, wouldn't the ski markings be way higher up?

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Hi everybody, here are a few ones with the M9 :

first, please meet Elliot through the Cron 50mm :

And now, romance in the tropical garden, through the marvellous Canon 0.95 at 0.95 and iso2000 ( note the delicate rainbow circle wic appears sometimes with backlight subjects, ..I definitively love this lens) :

The last one is a 24s pose to capture the seaside of Saint-Pierre in Reunion Island, with the 28 mm CRON :

No need to say I have been delighted with all your precedent posts ( I call it The GetDpi Collection !! )

Stephane
Stephane: Excellent as usual! The circular rainbow's definitely a bonus in this photo. Impressive portrait of Elliot, but, i don't think he was impressed with having his picture taken. :thumbup: :thumbs:

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Winter not far off now, but this afternoon was autumn at its best. These really don't do it justice.
First with the 35mm Ultron, the rest with the 75mm Heliar:

Regards
Mike
Mike: A departure for you. This one esp. struck me with its moody, dark/light/dark look. :thumbup:

Spent some time last week in San Francisco at the CTIA tradeshow.
The first image was shot with the 18mm Super-Elmar. The rest were with the 24mm Summilux.
A couple more with the 18mm.
And a couple more with the 24mm.
David: You've abandoned Las Vegas. That's probably why it's not doing so well these days. Great set of photos. Liked the photos of the Chinese gentlemen. The wide angle shots looking up are my favorites. Well-framed!

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Peter, your Angola pictures literally made my jaw drop. So have many other images in this thread. Phenomenal. This thread is my daily bookmark that I load first in the morning (rather: whenever it is I wake up, usually not the morning hours) and the last thread I visit before going to sleep. Intensely good work.

If I had to give this a name, I'd call it "home sick".

Vlad: Framing, pp, and light in this one's excellent!

Cheers, Matt

Lloyd

Winter not far off now, but this afternoon was autumn at its best. These really don't do it justice.
First with the 35mm Ultron, the rest with the 75mm Heliar:

Regards

Mike
Remarkable shots, Mike. A little variation for you, it seems, and wonderfully done.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Hello folks,

There are fabulous images on this forum! I'm following this thread already for some time, but never submitted anything.
Today is the day!
Since June I own the Leica M9 (which I bought together with the Elmarit 28 Asph., since 3 weeks ago I also own the Summilux 50 Asph., and I'm happy as one can be. Believe me.
So, what i need now is feedback. I'm still training myself to hit the sweet spot with the 50 Asph. fully open, however for the shots below I played safe, i.e. close the aperture a bit, just to be able to take more keepers home. The photographs are from a walk through a 'not-so-easy' neighborhood in the outskirts of Luanda, Angola.
I hope you like them. Please let me know you honest opinions.

Cheers, Peter
3,5,6,7,8 & 9 are real nice. Number one is questionable, and numbers two and four are not your best work. Delete them all three. Keep working doing what you were doing with the rest. People are your thing, close in tight portraits. Work that direction, and you should find your rewards.

Posting this many photos as a group makes it almost impossible to comment on each of them, forcing something like I just wrote above. I can't see your image remember when writing this post. I must work from memory. Due to my advanced age, my memory isn't what it once was. Hold your posting to one or two, and I can give you lots of constructive feedback if you want it. More than that, it is just an exhibition gallery. Post one or two images, and folks can drink it in fully. More is overwhelming, but that's just my opinion, others have theirs.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Here are some more... Luanda, Angola...

Cheers,
Peter
Abstracts catch your eye. Your eye captures people. You get abstracts shooting abstracts. You get magic shooting people. Every tourist to that part of the world can shoot those same abstracts. Only a very talented photographer can shoot people like you can. Enough said? ;)

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Ok, I'll try again...
The one on the left of the three boys first. Stunning. As good as it gets for even some of the best. I mite work it up a bit differently in post, though what you have certainly works.

The one on the right on the other hand doesn't work and nothing will fix it. You basically had an f8 exposure, and too slow a shutter speed. I love the effect you were trying for myself, but you got to nail it or it is just not there. Sharp focus in the front and sharp focus in the rear and all that confusion in the middle isn't great photography, it is just an effect in areas that caught your eye. There isn't even a reasonable crop that can fix all this confusion. You want only a SINGLE point of focus, and the rest confusion so it draws your eye naturally to the focal point. Start shooting wide open and just learn to live with tossing out a lot of tries that get close, but just don't make it. The few that do make all that work not wasted, but an exercise in patience. Something we can all use more of.

I'm also going to share a couple of things my own mentors have passed down to me. First thing everybody needs to learn to become a great photographer is to become a great editor first. Editors serve a very valuable purpose, they edit the thousands of images a photographer submits and distill the selection down to a few great frames. Be this editor. Be absolutely brutal in your cutting. Accept absolutely nothing but your very best, and even rotate those out of your portfolio when you produce better to replace them with. And you will most certainly create better work if your standards are at the very top end.

Editing is not about choosing the winners, it is about loosing the posers all vying for your attention, and then seeing what's left on the table, if anything.

Two rules I use:

1) "If any doubt, toss it out."

2.) Photos either work, or they don't. If they work, nobody cares about my justification for showing it, it works and we all appreciate the beauty of it for what it is, a finely crafted image.

If it doesn't work, nobody cares about my justification for showing it either, it simply doesn't work. Great photography has always been done in the world of blacks and whites. It works, it doesn't work. It never "almost" works but I'll post it anyway cause nobody else will notice if I slip it in between a couple great shots that I know do work.

Hope this helps, and do keep on shooting those portraits. You have some real talent there that can be developed even more with practice.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
A hungrey bear ...

Don
Hungry my ***. Your too good an outdoorsman Don to get anywhere in the neighborhood of a hungry bear with a 135mm lens. Unless you also happen to carry a .44 Mag Autoloader, which you most likely do as well :ROTFL:

As for the rest of you, that fat bear isn't hungry, it's loading up the calories for a long, rough winter from the look of it is what Don meant to say I believe. Still, shooting this series that Don is fortunate enough to be shooting is not for the inexperienced without a good guide who knows his stuff at least the first time. It isn't what you know in the wild that will kill you, it's what you don't know. :thumbup: