The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

sjg284

And the reason for my absence.. friends wedding in Bermuda, wife was a bridesmaid. This made my auxiliary bridesmaid, sherpa, and when I had a spare moment.. photographer. Tried to capture the moments that the pros aren't there for / can't get. Didn't wanna be that guy standing behind the pro snapping all his photos.​

Anyway.. here's what I came back with.
Mostly all M8 & VC Nokton 50/1.5

[

panda81

Hello folks,

There are fabulous images on this forum! I'm following this thread already for some time, but never submitted anything.
Today is the day!
Since June I own the Leica M9 (which I bought together with the Elmarit 28 Asph., since 3 weeks ago I also own the Summilux 50 Asph., and I'm happy as one can be. Believe me.
So, what i need now is feedback. I'm still training myself to hit the sweet spot with the 50 Asph. fully open, however for the shots below I played safe, i.e. close the aperture a bit, just to be able to take more keepers home. The photographs are from a walk through a 'not-so-easy' neighborhood in the outskirts of Luanda, Angola.
I hope you like them. Please let me know you honest opinions.

Cheers, Peter
these are some really outstanding portraits peter! you can see the character oozing out of each person.

what really stands out to me about these is you being able to capture joy and happiness in an impoverished area of the world where most photographers always focus on the bringing out the grim sadness. great job!!

panda81

Peter, your Angola pictures literally made my jaw drop. So have many other images in this thread. Phenomenal. This thread is my daily bookmark that I load first in the morning (rather: whenever it is I wake up, usually not the morning hours) and the last thread I visit before going to sleep. Intensely good work.

If I had to give this a name, I'd call it "home sick".

beautiful b&w and framing! great shot vlad!

panda81

1.http://gallery.me.com/shtarka1/100955/EasyKilla--20B-W/web.jpg[IMG]

2.[IMG]http://gallery.me.com/shtarka1/100955/RedDevilB-W/web.jpg[IMG]

3.[IMG]http://Gallery.me.com/shtarka1/100955/Artist-B-W/web.jpg[IMG]

4.[IMG]http://gallery.me.com/shtarka1/100955/1108-/web.jpg[IMG]

5.[IMG]http://gallery.me.com/shtarka1/100955/SlowDownGodZilla-/web.jpg[IMG]

6.[IMG]http://gallery.me.com/shtarka1/100955/FurureBadAss-B-W/web.jpg[IMG]

7.[IMG]http://gallery.me.com/shtarka1/100955/KPas-/web.jpg[IMG]

8.[IMG]http://Gallery.me.com/shtarka1/100955/Good-TheBad-/web.jpg[IMG]

9.[IMG]http://gallery.me.com/shtarka1/100955/BodyByJake-/web.jpg[IMG]

10.[IMG]http://gallery.me.com/shtarka1/100955/Wrong-/web.jpg[IMG]
M9, 21 Lux & M8.2, 50 Lux asph[/QUOTE]

wonderful series steve! were these taken at a state fair?

DavidE

David: You've abandoned Las Vegas. That's probably why it's not doing so well these days. Great set of photos. Liked the photos of the Chinese gentlemen. The wide angle shots looking up are my favorites. Well-framed!
Amazing set (including the other posts), but this one just blows me away. :salute:
Lovely series from San Fran, David. I love the Transamerica and Coit Tower caps, but the second one here just has a beautiful and subtle glow. Well seen!
David, love the wide angle shots!!!
David...Wide Angle & It Finest!
DavidE - great set, great perspective.. especially the bridge
wow, love the way you used the 18mm here! i just purchased an 18mm recently, but thought it was a bad impulse buy...but now you've convinced me to give it a shot :)
Thanks, Matt, Lloyd, Ashwin, Charles, Steve, Steve, and Jerry. This was my first tradeshow with the M9 that wasn't in Las Vegas, so I was concerned I wouldn't be able to come up with anything decent. Great to have feedback that these images were worth capturing.

Jerry, don't know if this would work for you, but I tend to go out with the 18mm and only shoot that for the day. I don't get as many keepers as with the 24mm, but there are always some very nice and unusual shots in the mix. You start to think in terms of what would look good in 18mm. Plus, the increased depth of field makes it super easy to quickly grab a shot on the fly.

DavidE

Here are some more San Francisco shots with the 24mm lux. I didn't have to go far for these, as this was just a stone's throw from the press room at the CTIA tradeshow.

Lloyd

Chuck,

Great reply! Thanks a lot. I will restrict myself in posting only one or two max. on a particular day. I also need to get a means to post them as full images. I, myself, needed to open another browser window to be able to see which images you are referring to. Anyway, I'll try to do better next time...

Cheers,
Peter
Quote:

Posting this many photos as a group makes it almost impossible to comment on each of them, forcing something like I just wrote above. I can't see your image remember when writing this post. I must work from memory. Due to my advanced age, my memory isn't what it once was. Hold your posting to one or two, and I can give you lots of constructive feedback if you want it. More than that, it is just an exhibition gallery. Post one or two images, and folks can drink it in fully. More is overwhelming, but that's just my opinion, others have theirs.

Chuck,

Greta reply! Thanks a lot. I will restrict myself in posting only one or two max. on a particular day. Anyway, I'll try to do better next time...

Cheers,
Peter
(Chuck makes a good point....although i flunk on a regular basis...:cry::eek:)
Hi guys, let me jump in with my $.02 worth (although it may not be worth quite that much). I happen to take a view contrary to that of our esteemed forum-mate. First off, and particularly when the images relate to a single theme or subject, I like it when there are more than one or two posted together. I think we get more of the story, and I appreciate that.

Second, take the criticism of specific images with grain of salt. Bottomline, it's just an opinion, and in the case of your Angola images, Peter, I happen to completely disagree with Chuck. The three he singled out and said you should delete are among my favorites of the group. Vlad seems to agree, as he singled two of them out as well.

Opinions are like bellybuttons, everybody has them, and most of them stink. I know mine do at times, and there is no accounting for taste. I've been shooting for clients for 30+ years, and I never cease to be amazed at how often the images I like best aren't chosen, and how often images I'd toss are.

Next, I don't think this is primarily a critique thread. I think most of us are just enjoying seeing images taken with our favorite camera system. If someone invites opinions, then great, you'll probably get them. But remember that they're just opinions. There is no single "right" way. And in fact, many folks here don't necessarily post their "best" work anyway, since they may be under contractual restrictions to clients.

So, my take is post what you want, as many as you want. If someone has to work a little to single something out for comment, it's not that big a deal. If that's a problem for the critics, then maybe they can start a critique thread, and call the shots on that one. I think constructive criticism is valuable, and I think Chuck for example has a wealth of experience from which we can all benefit, but there's something to be said for having a place where we all just enjoy the images, and the more the merrier... good, bad, or indifferent.

panda81

Hi guys, let me jump in with my $.02 worth (although it may not be worth quite that much). I happen to take a view contrary to that of our esteemed forum-mate. First off, and particularly when the images relate to a single theme or subject, I like it when there are more than one or two posted together. I think we get more of the story, and I appreciate that.
i also completely agree with lloyd here. for example, if peter had posted only two or three tight headshot portraits from this post, then we would have no idea what the context is - are these people his friends, strangers, where they are, what are they doing? another example is steve's recent post here. each of these photos shown individually will make it difficult for the viewer to understand the context.

Second, take the criticism of specific images with grain of salt. Bottomline, it's just an opinion, and in the case of your Angola images, Peter, I happen to completely disagree with Chuck. The three he singled out and said you should delete are among my favorites of the group. Vlad seems to agree, as he singled two of them out as well.
playing devil's advocate again, i also really like one of the photos that chuck said you should delete - specifically, this one:

personally, i think motion blur works really well in certain situations, and it certainly fits for my tastes here. the motion blur enhances the excitement shown on these kids' faces, and for me, anything that can add to the evocative nature of the photo is a good thing.

like lloyd said though, these are just my personal opinions too, and maybe they are of the stinky bellybutton variety ;) i certainly recognize that my own photos aren't up to the high quality many of the people post here, including chuck too :)

Opinions are like bellybuttons, everybody has them, and most of them stink. I know mine do at times, and there is no accounting for taste. I've been shooting for clients for 30+ years, and I never cease to be amazed at how often the images I like best aren't chosen, and how often images I'd toss are.

Next, I don't think this is primarily a critique thread. I think most of us are just enjoying seeing images taken with our favorite camera system. If someone invites opinions, then great, you'll probably get them. But remember that they're just opinions. There is no single "right" way. And in fact, many folks here don't necessarily post their "best" work anyway, since they may be under contractual restrictions to clients.

So, my take is post what you want, as many as you want. If someone has to work a little to single something out for comment, it's not that big a deal. If that's a problem for the critics, then maybe they can start a critique thread, and call the shots on that one. I think constructive criticism is valuable, and I think Chuck for example has a wealth of experience from which we can all benefit, but there's something to be said for having a place where we all just enjoy the images, and the more the merrier... good, bad, or indifferent.

Lloyd!

Very good comments. I very much know on how to take the comments or criticism or whatever. If someone thinks I should trash some of my work a) I won't do that if I disagree and 2b) I won't fall in depression. What I liked in Chuck's reply the most is the fact that he actually expanded a bit deeper on what he thinks about the images. I appreciate that, however, I/we know it is one single opinion. His comment photography being judged very much like a yes-no, black-white decision is a point which could be discussed or questioned.
I enjoy this forum a lot and log-in daily to see what's new. And it is actually a good thing to see some controversy once in while - only that way any given feedback becomes somewhat more credible.

Thanks again - Peter