The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

ashwinrao1

A few more from Wyoming.

The sad reality of the emigrant trail:

M8, 28 Cron

The way West. (Behind me is Rattlesnake Pass. To my right is Devil's Gate, and to my left is the monument above. Though there were divergent trails westward, e.g., the Oregon Trail, California Trail, the Mormon Trail and the Pony Express, almost everyone had to pass through Rattlesnake Pass, so this portion of the trail was used by all. There are heavy wagon ruts to the side of the road, and a Pony Express station was located just behind and to the right of where I'm standing as I take this.)

M8, CV 75/2.5 Heliar

Since 1872 part of the Sun Ranch (still owned by the same family), horses graze in front of Devil's Gate, just as the Pony Express Riders horses did in this very pasture 150 years ago. The station here was just to the left of the image.

M8, CV 75/2.5 Heliar

The Sweetwater River, which flows through Devil's Gate, and into the North Platte River about 10 miles beyond. Here about 1/4 mile upstream from Devil's Gate.

M8, CV 75/2.5 Heliar

Part of the Rattlesnake Range, along the Sweetwater River, near Devil's Gate.

M8, CV 21/4
A great storytelling series, Lloyd. I love how you capture the essence of the land and distill it in such an approachable and vibrant way, Lloyd...Great captures, all of them!!!:bugeyes::salute::thumbs:

Vlad

My first tries in the big city to go street shooting late at night. Lousy efforts, I am admitting weakness to be too shy to point the lens into a stranger's face. Guess the courage will come with experience. :eek:

m_driscoll

Love the Dark,Old School Feel! Great Shot El Ma(t)tador!
Steve: Thank you! That's what i wanted. :D

M9, 21 Lux & M8.2, 50 Lux asph
Steve: You went to the Fair! [1]"1. EasyKilla, 2. RedDevilB, 3. Artist-B-W, 4. 1108, 5. SlowDownGodZilla, 6. FutureBadAss-B-W, 7. KPas, 8. Good-TheBad, 9. BodyByJake, 10. Wrong".[/I] Tremendous series! No specific favorites (can't choose). :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

fantastic shot matt! sophisticated and wonderful on so many "levels!" :ROTFL:
Panda: Thank you! :D

Chuck,

Wow. I highly appreciate your professional advice! I only started now [yesterday] to post some of my images to the public. Photography always was a hobby for me, starting with an F3 and slides, then moving over to my good old B&W darkroom, progressing to Pentax 67 and all B&W, i.e. restricting myself to 10 pics per roll, which is a real "school" to go through, aimed to "slow down". From these 10 pics a roll only a few made it to the printing stage in the darkroom at the time. Then I had some years not shooting at all mainly due to my daytime job... But since 2008 I'm back again, got myself a D700 and now a Leica M9... which, in a way, takes me "back" to the times of medium format and people shooting. I'm happy to be back. Digital is now the "crux" though... there is no "self-restriction" in terms of frames anymore... so the selection process is delayed to the processing stage, where a lot of things seem to be possible ["fixing"], but in reality are not! In fact, you need to be much more rigorous in throwing out the stuff which "doesn't work". There is rarely a "keeper" which wasn't one right out of the camera...
Stunning website with stunning images you have!
Thx, Peter
Peter: Well said.

Hi guys, let me jump in with my $.02 worth (although it may not be worth quite that much). I happen to take a view contrary to that of our esteemed forum-mate. First off, and particularly when the images relate to a single theme or subject, I like it when there are more than one or two posted together. I think we get more of the story, and I appreciate that.

Second, take the criticism of specific images with grain of salt. Bottomline, it's just an opinion, and in the case of your Angola images, Peter, I happen to completely disagree with Chuck. The three he singled out and said you should delete are among my favorites of the group. Vlad seems to agree, as he singled two of them out as well.

Opinions are like bellybuttons, everybody has them, and most of them stink. I know mine do at times, and there is no accounting for taste. I've been shooting for clients for 30+ years, and I never cease to be amazed at how often the images I like best aren't chosen, and how often images I'd toss are.

Next, I don't think this is primarily a critique thread. I think most of us are just enjoying seeing images taken with our favorite camera system. If someone invites opinions, then great, you'll probably get them. But remember that they're just opinions. There is no single "right" way. And in fact, many folks here don't necessarily post their "best" work anyway, since they may be under contractual restrictions to clients.

So, my take is post what you want, as many as you want. If someone has to work a little to single something out for comment, it's not that big a deal. If that's a problem for the critics, then maybe they can start a critique thread, and call the shots on that one. I think constructive criticism is valuable, and I think Chuck for example has a wealth of experience from which we can all benefit, but there's something to be said for having a place where we all just enjoy the images, and the more the merrier... good, bad, or indifferent.
Lloyd: Also, well said. I think the variety of photographs, photographers, and intentions is the strength of this thread.

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

A few more from Wyoming.
The sad reality of the emigrant trail:
The way West. (Behind me is Rattlesnake Pass. To my right is Devil's Gate, and to my left is the monument above. Though there were divergent trails westward, e.g., the Oregon Trail, California Trail, the Mormon Trail and the Pony Express, almost everyone had to pass through Rattlesnake Pass, so this portion of the trail was used by all. There are heavy wagon ruts to the side of the road, and a Pony Express station was located just behind and to the right of where I'm standing as I take this.)

Since 1872 part of the Sun Ranch (still owned by the same family), horses graze in front of Devil's Gate, just as the Pony Express Riders horses did in this very pasture 150 years ago. The station here was just to the left of the image.

M8, CV 75/2.5 Heliar

The Sweetwater River, which flows through Devil's Gate, and into the North Platte River about 10 miles beyond. Here about 1/4 mile upstream from Devil's Gate.

M8, CV 75/2.5 Heliar

Part of the Rattlesnake Range, along the Sweetwater River, near Devil's Gate.

M8, CV 21/4
Lloyd: Thanks for sharing. These are really outstanding. Love the color and the story. This is a beautiful, diverse, country. :thumbup:

Plenty of fantastic images here. I would like to quote and comment on some, but I have not figured out how to quote a single image in a post. How do you do that?

This one I captured this afternoon, 20 minutes before sunset on may way home from a client. The M9 is not too shabby ;)

By the way, what looks like sensordust is migrating birds!

Dan, I absolutely love this shot. Very well presented, too.

shtarka1

My first tries in the big city to go street shooting late at night. Lousy efforts, I am admitting weakness to be too shy to point the lens into a stranger's face. Guess the courage will come with experience. :eek:

Vlad...Nothing You Do Is "Lousy"! it Takes Time And A Few "Slaps In The Face" Before You Start Shooting In Ones "Mug" Up Close!:lecture::ROTFL:
Love This Set!!!:thumbup:

Lloyd

A great storytelling series, Lloyd. I love how you capture the essence of the land and distill it in such an approachable and vibrant way, Lloyd...Great captures, all of them!!!:bugeyes::salute::thumbs:
Lloyd: Thanks for sharing. These are really outstanding. Love the color and the story. This is a beautiful, diverse, country. :thumbup:

Ashwin, Matt, many, many thanks. :salute: