The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

Lloyd

Not all our Halloween visitors were scary. Some were graceful and beautiful. Even if they are only six years old.

M8, Nocti F1.0:

Last edited:

Mike Woods

Not all our Halloween visitors were scary. Some were graceful and beautiful. Even if they are only six years old.

M8, Nocti F1.0:
Lloyd, that is just an incredibly beautiful image. I'm seeing a halo effect I think? Some would call it glow :)

Mike

Lloyd

Yep glow is good :)

Here's one from yesterday, my better half with M8 and, ummm a new lens that you all told me I shouldn't have bought.............:eek:

Regards

Mike
Beautiful shot. Perfect use of DOF. :thumbup:
So which one did you get?

Mike Woods

Well, I guess we'll just have to admire the mystery-shrouded results.:salute:
Ok. I'll come clean. They are not actually mine yet, but I'm testing 35 and 50mm Summicrons, both used, chrome and in excellent condition - serial nos. from around 1994-1996. 35 is asph.

This will mean trading in my CV Nokton and Ultron which cover the same focal lengths. I'm keeping the CV 25 and 75.

Yesterday was first chance to try them, and I don't have long to make my decision, so hoping for good weather :rolleyes:

First impressions? Build quality is unbelievable. You will all know this of course, but never having held a Leica lens it came as quite a shock when the first one got passed across the counter. Being chrome will account for some of that, but still....impressive build.

Both lenses seem to focus really well on my M8, although the concave tab on the 35 will take a little getting used to.

Too early to report on any negatives, but ( I think) I can see the effect of the slower 50mm vs the Nokton 50 f1.5, in terms of slightly less separation of subject to background, if that makes sense. I was expecting that anyway so no big deal, but something like the Nokton f1.1 might be a nice supplement in the future....when I get my wallet back from intensive care :eek:

Regards

Mike

Lloyd

Ok. I'll come clean. They are not actually mine yet, but I'm testing 35 and 50mm Summicrons, both used, chrome and in excellent condition - serial nos. from around 1994-1996. 35 is asph.

This will mean trading in my CV Nokton and Ultron which cover the same focal lengths. I'm keeping the CV 25 and 75.

Yesterday was first chance to try them, and I don't have long to make my decision, so hoping for good weather :rolleyes:

First impressions? Build quality is unbelievable. You will all know this of course, but never having held a Leica lens it came as quite a shock when the first one got passed across the counter. Being chrome will account for some of that, but still....impressive build.

Both lenses seem to focus really well on my M8, although the concave tab on the 35 will take a little getting used to.

Too early to report on any negatives, but ( I think) I can see the effect of the slower 50mm vs the Nokton 50 f1.5, in terms of slightly less separation of subject to background, if that makes sense. I was expecting that anyway so no big deal, but something like the Nokton f1.1 might be a nice supplement in the future....when I get my wallet back from intensive care :eek:

Regards

Mike
Aha!! Well, the first image you've shared is impressive (but then, so has been pretty much everything you've posted). And, I'm not surprised by your statement about build quality. Not much that compares. In all honesty, while in general I think the Leica brand lenses are of a superior build, it's incremental, and I've found that pretty much all the rangefinder lenses I've owned were superior in build to most of the SLR or DSLR lenses. The Zeiss SLR lenses being the possible exceptions. (I've never owned a Leica R lens, so I don't have a basis from which to compare those.)

As for the "separation" or the 3D look you get, that seems to vary a lot among lenses, and the widest apertures doesn't always make the most difference. (Especially in super-telephotos). For example, I did (and have seen the same others have done), a comparison of three popular Leica 35mm lenses: The 35 Cron version IV (the "bokeh king"), the 35 Cron ASPH, and the 35 Summilux ASPH (the first ASPH version, not the new one). All are great lenses, and have their qualities for sure, but in terms of the "separation" or 3D look when shot wide open, I found that to me the 35 Cron ASPH stood out (no pun intended). And that was even over the 35 lux when it was shot at 1.4, with the Cron ASPH shot at f2.0. As always, your mileage may vary.

I've noticed with some of the CV lenses (and keep in mind that I'm a fan), the "separation" is less abrupt (if that description makes sense), looking a little smoother in terms of transition. The possible exception may be the Nokton 1.1. I know that to me the look of the 50 Lux @ 1.4 is much more "3D" than the Nokton 1.5 wide open. But there are things about the look of the CV wide open that I prefer in certain circumstances.

Anyway, I ramble... sorry. Congrats on the new lenses (assuming they'll be yours... you know they will. :thumbup:). Looking forward to more results.