The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

18mm Zeiss

Braeside

I understand Irakly. In my case I was not especially looking for anything magic, just functional for my needs at wide angle on the M8. What would you suggest as a magical 18mm lens for M?

Mozbee

Try something longer, and you will be even more impressed. Out of all lenses that I reviewed for Zeiss (which included the whole lineup except the 15mm), this was probably the least interesting. It does not come from me lightly, as I own one. All right, it is sharp from edge to edge, very insignificant light fall-off, good color. Everything is fine about it, but nothing magical. Try 2/35, or 1.5/50 and you'll see what I mean. Try 2/85, and you'll be blown away until you see what 90 APO Summicron can do wide open :)
How is the 2/85 compares to the 90 APO Summicron according to you?

irakly

that's how (see below) :)
you see, i do not like to do formal bench tests or pointlessly compare bokeh. i am just spending some time with a lens in an attempt to figure out in what conditions it would excel. then i try to shoot a picture in this very conditions. when you are dealing with devices of this quality level, it is not valid to say something like "this lens is better than that one". it is like comparing BMW and Jaguar. It is not better or worse. It is just different and maybe more suitable for some things than the other.