The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

aperture lightroom M9 files low light

dseelig

I was wondering who has used version 3 of both lightroom and aperture and how do the files look at iso 1250 1600 and 2500 thanks David

Vlad

I posted an ISO2500 image processed with LR3 here. I find the noise reduction quite incredible - now ISO2500 is entirely realistic with the M9.

dseelig

I had forgotten that you can download a trail of Lr3 . I did and at 1000 iso LR3 just smokes Aperture 3. It is much better and now makes me feel like my decision to go Leica M9 for personal work was a very good one, and not just about the m9 form factor.

dseelig

I processed another file stage lighting and aperture 3 and LR 3 were about identical in noise, also at iso 1000. very strange. the first was a street light scene in New Orleans and LR was much better. Hmm

S

sblutter

LR3 at 2500 (m9) is so good I barely need the 5DM2 anymore - its great

menos

I described my initial impression on the difference between Lr2 and Lr3 regarding noise and detail in a thread over at the RFF here:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92060

I was really impressed by how well Lightroom 3 handles with the new noise reduction mode and much more detailed sharpening.
ISO 1250 and 2500 files are now clearly much more usable.
I actually use ISO1250 with the M8.2 now with confidence, whereas my former mental border was ISO640!

I have no experience with Aperture though.

Care - the samples, I posted at RFF were completely unprocessed RAW files from the camera - you see only the difference between the two Lightroom iterations!
Completely processed, the files can be very clean.

I made A4 prints from ISO12800 EPSON R-D1 files lately, processed in Lr3, that really reminded me on how my pushed TriX @ ISO 1600 looks - that was scary (mind you, the EPSON still rules in being pushed over the Leicas regarding banding and noise).