The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DMR sits idle - reluctant to let it go

PeterA

1. A full frame even better chip than the DMR would blow away CaNikon
2( a). Make lenses backwards compatible for focus confirmation and existing users and nutz will crawl over broken glass for it..
2(b) make sure you have a bright viewfinder BRIGHT..
3. Add autofocus and you win the happy to pay for better quality type client - many of these will be new buyers into Leica
4. Improve battery, enlarge excellent LCD, improve flash metering and add some weatherproofing and a lot more pro users come on board
5. Get the firware right from teh start and also provide a plg in to Adobe/C1 etc products for raw fiel conversion..BINGO!
The R10 will outsell teh M8 sooner than people expect...

EH21

Hi Stuart,
Must have missed your post earlier. Actually I have never shot film with the Rollei - I bought a P20 fitted for the 6008 and it produces a file that has more dynamic range and better color than the DMR. But yes, you're right its not a solution for all things and neither was the DMR. Both are actually too big and heavy to carry around all the time, like some of my friends with M8's do.

doug

Regarding AF - I don't find it very useful, but it's nessesary to get most purchasers to look at the camera. As long as I can shut the AF off, the viewfinder quality isn't compromised, and my existing lenses will work (Leica has stated that they will work at least to some degree), I'll be OK with it. Full-frame or larger with DMR or better image quality, and an SL-quality viewfinder and I'll be happy with it.

Stuart Richardson

I am with you Doug -- AF is not a big draw for me, though it is something that is useful to have around for certain situations. As long as it does not get in the way, it is a nice thing to have. Like you, I would rather have a better VF than AF, but if we can do both, I am all for it.

EH21 -- You should definitely try some film in the 6008AF...the schneider and zeiss lenses in that system are gorgeous and best appreciated when seen with their full image circles. The metering and flash system of the 6008AF is brilliant on film, and if it is anything like the DMR, this is an area where the digital integration hasn't quite caught up to the film.