The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Picture from 90mm Non Apo resquest

deepdiver

Can anyone please post some pictures from Leica 90mm NON APO latest version one?
I really want to see how this lens perform at Wideopen F2.
Someone want to sell to me and I want to buy it, but i'm a bit worry with this lens performance (compare to 90mm APO version, which is super sharp at wide open)

many thanks :)

Andree

Eoin

Andree, I'll have to dig out the images I have taken with this lens over the weekend. In the mean time, this was perhaps my favorite lens on the M8 when I was using Leica.

I searched for a portrait lens to give me some of the magic I lost when moving from Canon system (85 f/1.2L) to Leica. I tried the 90 Summicron APO ASPH , 75 Summicron APO ASPH & 50 Summilux Asph, they were all fantastic optics in their own right. But in a strange way they were almost too perfect. Too sharp, too much detail.

In the 90 Summicron as you have shown here I found that by f:/4.5 it was as good as the newer APO Asph version at the same aperture. However from f:/2 to f:/4 it's rendering was more gentle and not as bitingly brutal as it's APO sibling. I found the bokeh to be smoother with softer transitions in the background.

To be honest I was after a slightly softer rendering in the f:/2 - f:/4 range, I call it less microcontrast but perhaps there is a better name for it, the Canon 85L was beautiful in this regard and the 90 Summicron was somewhat similar but a better optic with less CA.

It's wonderful value when compared to the 90 AA or 75 AA, almost Jeykll & Hyde, slightly dreamy wide open and brutal by f:/4.5. 2 lenses for the price of 1. When I look back on my Leica images, the ones shot with this lens still bring a satisfied smile to my face.

D&A

I'll "second" what Eoin said. The 90mm f2 pre Asph (E55), has excellent rendition when used as a portrait lens from f2 to approx f4..and then when closed down beyond that, is essentially a 90mm AA. At between f2.8 and f4 is where an interesting transition takes place and it resembles in many ways the 90mm f2.8 elmarit-M (last version of that lens) when that lens is shot wide open. Keep in mind it's not soft at f2 or f2.8...it still renders detail with a roundness and softer contrast that the other mentioned lenses. If one was going to use it strictly for long lens landscape shooting wide open, then the 90mm AA may be a better choice is absolute resoltion and contrast is required.

Dave (D&A)

Leicadoc

Using the 90 pre-aspherical for more landscape work, currently.
This is the same lens with my M8, f2.8 for 1/125 last week.

John Black

If the choice was between the 90mm ASPH & non-ASPH, I'd pass on the ASPH lens. I've gone two rounds with the ASPH and came away feeling unimpressed. I have the 90mm Elmarit (last version) right now and that lens really isn't wow'ing me either. For whatever I reason I like the 90mm pre-asph better for portrait work. Also, when light starts to fade, it's a whole stop faster which can make a bigger different shutter speeds. My only niggle with 90mm pre-asph is color fringing in the de-focused areas. At times it's a non issue, other times color fringing really stands out (like on a white background) and my eyes go straight to it.

Around 50 images from the 90mm Summicron per-asph & Leica M8 - gallery. The 90mm Summarit is quite good too. Be it a 90mm Elmarit, Summarit or Summicron - they are all good.

deepdiver

Thank a lot for all the advices. I really appreciated them :)
I think I will go and met this guy. This lens is really interesting.
Once again, thank you ^^

Andree

W

winks

Back in April (148 Anniversary of Shiloh). I like the one above better, but I chuckled - same stone, same lens. M8 90mm non-ASPH.

W

winks

I guess we should have. Here are a couple more with the same lens.

Last edited:

irakly

Before going any further, the lens that you have is the second version and fortunately not the first. Stay away from the latter :)
I have your lens, only in chrome, and also a 2.8/90 fat tele-elmarit. I completely agree with previous posters on their verdict: two lenses for the price of one :)