The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RRS M8/M9 Base and Grip

I've received it today. order date 25/6/2010 from their website.
It took 3 days from the States to Kuwait. and yes Im in love with it. :D
It feels just right on my hands. light weight, fits the camera perfectly.
I've attached a picture of my camera with the RRS BM9 set.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Got mine today too. It's a VERY tight fit on my M9 - to the degree that the first time I fitted it I seriously thought I'd got a new permanently attached plate! It looks like my camera/plate needs to give up a few microns all round to make this a more comfortable fit. Not sure if it'll be the camera or plate that'll sacrifice the paint/anodizing - somehow I expect it would be the M9 :(

Mohammed - was yours a really tight fit too? I had to dismantle the full L bracket down to the base to try mine without the fear of scratching something first time through.

Be aware also that you need to use the L bracket ring for your strap. Not a problem if this is your only plate but I use a STD plate & Luigi case for walkabout use vs tripod use so this needs to be considered. (for me it's not a big deal as I just got my Gordy strap anyway).

Last edited:
Got mine today too. It's a VERY tight fit on my M9 - to the degree that the first time I fitted it I seriously thought I'd got a new permanently attached plate! It looks like my camera/plate needs to give up a few microns all round to make this a more comfortable fit. Not sure if it'll be the camera or plate that'll sacrifice the paint/anodizing - somehow I expect it would be the M9 :(

Mohammed - was yours a really tight fit too? I had to dismantle the full L bracket down to the base to try mine without the fear of scratching something first time through.

Be aware also that you need to use the L bracket ring for your strap. Not a problem if this is your only plate but I use a STD plate & Luigi case for walkabout use vs tripod use so this needs to be considered. (for me it's not a big deal as I just got my Gordy strap anyway).
Graham: I had no problem with it. it fits the M9 perfectly.

Lewis44

I found that I liked the setup very much, with one exception. The grip felt slippery to my fingers when I used it.
The solution for me was to cover it with the same leather covering material that I got from Morgan @ Camera Leathers.
I received the material this morning, and about 1/2 hour later these are the results.
An Exact-O knife and a little patience were the tools.

Don Libby

Just ordered the RRS plate and side bracket. I plan on keeping the plate on full time and use the L bracket occasionally so depending on the amount of hassle involved I might just keep the side bracket in my case for use only when I really need it.

Ordered it late yesterday and received the order confirmation now just waiting for shipping info.

GrahamWelland

Graham: I had no problem with it. it fits the M9 perfectly.
So did your base slip on and off as easily as the standard Leica part?

I've been in discussion with Matthew Burk of RRS and I'm wondering if perhaps my batch of bases were machined with extra tight tolerances or not. I'm on a business trip at the moment and can't try the base with my other M8 for comparison but it was super tight on my M9.

I hope it is just a glitch because the assembly is extremely well put together and I really want to be able to use it.

thrice

I found that I liked the setup very much, with one exception. The grip felt slippery to my fingers when I used it.
The solution for me was to cover it with the same leather covering material that I got from Morgan @ Camera Leathers.
I received the material this morning, and about 1/2 hour later these are the results.
An Exact-O knife and a little patience were the tools.
Lewis that looks great! I might see if I can get some camera leather that matches the stock 'vulcanite' on the M9.

Lewis44

Lewis that looks great! I might see if I can get some camera leather that matches the stock 'vulcanite' on the M9.
Daniel
I did send the images to Morgan @ CameraLeathers.com. to show him what I had done.
I don't think there would be enough interest for him to do it, but he should be aware of what you want if you contact him.
Randy

thrice

I got mine, fits a treat, I find you have to perfectly line up the notch on the 'L' side and then push the other side and it pops on with relatively little force, great fit, and offers plenty of protection for the camera as well.

Don Libby

Just got an e-mail from Mark Gvarzdinskas, RRS regarding my order. His first inquiry was which camera I had, the M8 or M9. After I told him the plate was for the M9 he responded saying it would be another 4 weeks till delivery as well as the following ...

We did send a few out for the M9s but there was a variation in the M9 we were not aware of, thus making it too tight a fit. Again, my apologies for the inconvenience.

Thought I pass this on..

Don

GrahamWelland

RRS sent out an email survey regarding the base & fit with M8 & M9 independently to gather feedback. Not sure of the distribution of that survey but it sounds like they are taking the feedback seriously about tight fitting bases.

The good news is that RRS are being pros about this - another reason why they are great to do business with and I'm confident that it'll be perfect for the M9 soon.

GrahamWelland

Further feedback on my BM9 plate. I just got home from a business trip and had a chance to try the RRS plate on my M8. The fit was absolutely perfect. The M9 though is too tight which is surprising since it's assumed that they are supposed to be identical in size. :wtf:

fotoism

....which is surprising since it's assumed that they are supposed to be identical in size. :wtf:
Have you tried swapping baseplates on your M8 and M9 and see if they actually fit one another exactly? I don't have an M9 (yet) but am curious to see if there is indeed a size difference.

Bob Parsons

I have tried swapping base plates with the following results:

Chrome M8 base plate on chrome M8, good fit. Black M9 base on black m9, good fit. M8 base on M9, tighter fit but just OK. M9 base on M8, looser fit.

Bob.

cly

I have tried swapping base plates with the following results:

Chrome M8 base plate on chrome M8, good fit. Black M9 base on black m9, good fit. M8 base on M9, tighter fit but just OK. M9 base on M8, looser fit.
Just tried the same but black M8, black M9. The M8 base plate is a wee bit looser on the M9.

--chris

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Is it just me, but doesn't this make the camera look a bit lumpy? Disclosure: I don't like handgrips on an M camera in general and this one looks a lot better than the Leica one.:thumbup:.. And I believe I suggested the combo with the L-plate in the first place.:ROTFL:But RRS is a little disingenuous in their sales blurb: Stamped steel original baseplate indeed. Solid machined brass it is... Naughty-naughty:mad:
What surprises me is the need for different plates for the M8 and M9. The Leica plates are completely interchangable - and neither loose nor tight.

Last edited: