The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RRS M8/M9 Base and Grip

markmont

The grip looks more comfy than the standard Leica grip - but I still prefer the look of the Leica one far more ( and I can't stand the logo on that RRS base plate : /

Lewis44

Here is the email I just received from RRS on the Base Plate issue:

We would like to thank you for your participation in our BM9 fitting survey. In designing the BM9, we intentionally decided to improve the fit of Leica's standard base plate, which we found to be surprisingly loose and flexible. While dimensions naturally vary from camera to camera, even between two identical camera models, we could not predict just how variant it would be in Leica's case. Further, the Leica bodies used to fit our prototypes were on the smaller end of the spectrum. We now realize that a great deal of RRS BM9 plates fit too tightly on some cameras.

We therefore are proceeding with a voluntary recall of BM9 base plates.

If you feel that you are satisfied with the plate's fit, then do nothing. We will still honor your 5 year parts and manufacturing guarantee.

The fix of the base plate is pretty straightforward:

For U.S. customers:

1. Discontinue using the BM9 base plate immediately.

2. Contact Really Right Stuff via email: [email protected] or phone: 805-528-6321 and request a return shipping label via U.S. Postal Service or UPS. We will mail or email the shipping label to you.

3. Immediately send us your BM9 base plate once the shipping label arrives. You will have to print the label and attach it yourself. Include a copy of your original RRS Sales Order, or a short note with your return shipping information and/or customer information.

4. In the meantime, new plates are being made with widened dimensions. They will become available approximately 3 weeks from today.

5. After the improved plates become available, one will be shipped back to you at no charge.

For international customers:

1. Discontinue using the BM9 base plate immediately.

2. Immediately send us your BM9 base plate using your country's local carrier. Indicate on any customs forms that the contents of the package are undergoing a warranty replacement. Indicate the shipping costs on the package itself if possible. Include a copy of your original RRS Sales Order, or a short note with your return shipping information and/or customer information.

3. Once the plate arrives here at Really Right Stuff, Your shipping costs will be reimbursed via credit card.

4. In the meantime, new plates are being made with widened dimensions. They will become available approximately 3 weeks from today.

5. After the improved plates become available, one will be shipped back to you at no charge. We will ensure that the replacement items are properly labeled to avoid duplicate import taxes and customs fees.

We will not ship your replacement plate until the original is received here at Really Right Stuff in San Luis Obispo, CA. You must send us your tight fitting BM9 during your 30 day money back guarantee period, which began the day you received it. We understand some circumstances will not allow such a short window. Please contact us to make any special requests.

Don Libby

I just received the new RRS plate and side bracket for my M9. The fit and finish is suburb. If I had a gripe it would be that I needed to remove and refasten the neck strap; then the old saying is true - you can't please everyone. I ordered the side bracket with the thought that I wouldn't keep it on all the time if it made the camera too large and unwieldy however I've decided to keep it on as it doesn't change the fit of the camera in my hands. The base plate slides on and with the side benefit of having the side bracket attached is that it slides along the camera strap keeping it connected to the camera.

:thumbs:

Don

Don Libby

Just figured out that I might have miss-installed the camera strap. I had originally removed the one end and reattached it using the same connection this making the bracket slide down the strap. I just reconnected the strap to the tiny connector on top the of the side bracket which makes the camera strap ring work better. Nevertheless the entire bracket remains connected to the camera via the strap which isn't a bad thing.

Sorry for the confusion.

Don

fotografz

I am not a fan of grips or L plates on the M cameras ... but because of you guys I am now poorer in cash as I just ordered 2 BM9-B base plates for my M9s. :thumbup:

I use the RRS Monopod head for my H4D/40 for landscape to portrait orientation, and now I can conform the Ms to use with the same Monopod ... Wahoo!

Don't mind the RRS logo on the heads and QR ... but hate anything like that on the Ms :thumbdown: ... I'll just get rid of it.:ROTFL:

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Just got the RRS plate and grip (not the L version) and i like it better than the Leica grip. Looks better too, but that is secondary. May try the cameraleather covering but so far no compelling need for it.

Krug

I am a great fan of RRS stuff and have plenty of it - so no negative intent in this.

However I paused just before buying this particular item...........
........I feel that to match RRS standards the plate should have stop screws at each end of the plate to prevent any possibility of the camera falling out of the
mount as it is engaged/disengaged - discussed this with them and they confirm that the design does not allow that - not even as a DIY exercise post purchase as there is not space to place threaded holes for retaining screws.

Pity - I always assume RRS will have out-thought and over-provided us.

I know it is not likely to happen but accidents do happen and best design
provides for that.

fotografz

I am a great fan of RRS stuff and have plenty of it - so no negative intent in this.

However I paused just before buying this particular item...........
........I feel that to match RRS standards the plate should have stop screws at each end of the plate to prevent any possibility of the camera falling out of the
mount as it is engaged/disengaged - discussed this with them and they confirm that the design does not allow that - not even as a DIY exercise post purchase as there is not space to place threaded holes for retaining screws.

Pity - I always assume RRS will have out-thought and over-provided us.

I know it is not likely to happen but accidents do happen and best design
provides for that.
Just installed the new RRS plates on my M9s ... Not following you on this.

Seems straight forward enough as it is.

Do you mean something to prevent the camera from sliding out when the QR is loosened?

I have that on my Hasselblad QR unit, and hate it because it takes the Quick out of Quick Release.

-Marc

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Just got my 3-piece kit for the M9... I like the grip a lot, feels much better than the Leica one. Overall a very nicely made piece.

etrigan63

Krug, I have to go with Marc on this one. A set screw, while indeed providing a level of security to keep your precious digital M from sliding out of the quick release, would be more of an impediment than anything else. When releasing any camera from a QR clamp, one firmly grasps the camera first, then releases the plate.