The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Field Report from Kanab Utah

JimCollum

Quick trip to Utah with the M8...

90mm Cron

75mm Lux (with b&w 92 IR filter)

75mm Lux (with b&w 92 IR filter)

50mm Sonnar

Last edited:

JimCollum

Re: Field Report from Kanab Utqh

... all taken today... IR processed with capture one (beta 4), color processed with lightroom 1.3. haven't had a chance to do anything else (photoshop) with them yet.

jim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jim will be our guest instructer in Moab workshop teaching how to shoot IR images so this will be a nice learning experience for those that attend.

JimCollum

btw.. these have all been done on my laptop.. so color/contrast not ideal yet (need to wait til i get home to do final processing)

robsteve

Subscriber
Jim:

It doesn't look like you are having much luck with the weather. The flat lighting doesn't give you much sense of scale or texture. This light seems to only work in the third shot, the IR with the 75mm Summilux.

I was in Bryce a few years back at about this time of year and the snow really adds to the picture. I was lucky and had blue skies with clouds and some snow. The blue skies contrast really well with the reddish colours of Bryce.

Robert

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jim:

I have to say your images look pretty flat and desaturated. I Suspect you forgot to convert to sRGB before posting?

I pulled these posted jpegs into CS, assigned sRGB and optimised levels which also increased contrast a bit and added some saturation, but frankly if they were mine, I'd bump saturation even a little more... Anyway, I think the results are a bit improved for web view. (I also did these on my laptop, so appologies in advance if I made them worse!):

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here's my take on one of the IR shots. Levels optimised and a local contrast increase.

robsteve

Subscriber
You can bump contrast, local sharpness and saturation all you want but it will still not add shadows and depth like early morning or evening sun.

robsteve

Subscriber
I just went back to look at the slides from my 2003 trip to Bryce. I learned a couple things.

1.) The most dramatic slides are almost impossible to scan. This is where Jim's flatter lighting would have helped.

2.) Digital is a lot quicker than film. I probably spent an hour by the time I picked a slide turned on the scanner and figured out how to scan again.

Here is one of the images, probably shot with the 35-70mm F4 using the R9 and Kodak E100VS.

hdrmd

Robsteve is right. Good photoshop technique is important, but there is nothing like good light. I enjoy going back to landscapes several times, or until the light is what I am looking for. Regards. DR

Guy Mancuso

You can bump contrast, local sharpness and saturation all you want but it will still not add shadows and depth like early morning or evening sun.

Nothing beats great light. Photography is all about the light. If i do anything well in photography this is it. I need to do a workshop in this area

robsteve

Subscriber
Nothing beats great light. Photography is all about the light. If i do anything well in photography this is it. I need to do a workshop in this area
I suggest Moab and Arches National Park :) I was there a few days after Bryce. I will see if I have any decent slides to scan.

Here is my Bryce shot again. Guy, you need to allow a few more posts per page.

Robert

Guy Mancuso

let me look at that you mean amount like increase to 20 posts on a page. i think you the user has that control but i will check