The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Posting photos from cruise

dmabry2010

Hello!

Many members were so helpful with questions I had as I built a Leica kit for my 20th anniversary cruise.

Here are some photos of the cruise:

www.gallery.me.com/ejgibson1

(EJ is my wife)

Here are some highlights:

1. After being on a wait list for an M9 since forever, I was actually able to buy an M9 from the Leica Shop in Vienna, and they shipped it to my Venice, Italy hotel. Here is the kicker. It sold for around $5,200, which is much less than the US price. I brought my M8.u and actually used it the first day in Venice until I received the M9. From then on I used the M9.

2. I brought the CV 15mm (from a member here), a WATE, a 28mm cron, a 35mm lux (from a member here), a 50mm lux, a 50mm Noct f/1 (heavy), a 75mm APO cron (great lens), an older 90mm chron and an older 135mm telemerit. What I did was take just 2 or 3 lenses with me at each port stop.

3. My wife's Panasonic Limux takes pictures that, straight up, look really good. Now in full disclosure, the Limux does have a Leica lens. Now, it is not until I crop and expand does the M9 shine and outdo the Limux convenience. Of course, she took photography in college, so she is a better photographer.

4. I received 3 compliments on my camera, but also 3 compliments on my Luigi case (sigh) and four compliments on my wife. :D

Again, thank you all for your answers as I built the Leica kit. Going from a Nikon to a rangefinder, and using it only on my 20th anniversary cruise, with no practice was risky. But, you were all great in helping me.

I appreciate all the answers.

Michael
aka dmabry2010

Braeside

Thanks for posting Michael, I had a look at your gallery on my iPhone using the Apple Gallery App.

I recognise most of the places, some I visited on a cruise in 2005. In fact I have a photo of that light bluish painted apartment (named Aspaki I believe) in Oia Santorini hanging in my bedroom. We didn't get to Venice or Israel though.

Looks like you had a great time.

m_driscoll

Michael: I looked through your gallery. Great photos. Looks like a fun trip. Venice, I've been to several times, but not to the rest of the places that you visited. And, I understand the compliments on your wife. ;) :thumbup:
Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

H

HarrisGraeberII

What a wonderful travel gallery to peruse! Wonderfully sharp images of places I've never been!

dmabry2010

Thank you,

Like you, neither my wife, nor I, have been to any of the sites before.

Most place are of course were covered in school. Seeing them up front and personal was a real treat.

My take aways, after a couple weeks from since the trip:

Venice -- more you stay there, the more you love it.

Egypt -- incredible history. incredibly crowded.

Rhodes -- the bay were Colossas was built is beautiful. Amazing blue water.

Santorini -- being on top of a volcano caldera -- majestic. So many white buildings with blue tops.

Israel -- crowded and full of history.

Turkey -- surprised at how nice it was and how safe it felt.

Michael

otumay

I'm glad you and your wife enjoyed your trip and visit to Turkey. I hope we shall be able to see some of your photographs soon.
Best,
Osman

dmabry2010

Hello Osman,

The two stops we made, Kusadasi and Istanbul, are shown near the end of the album in my wife's mobile me account:

www.gallery.me.com/ejgibson

Both stops were great. The old city excavations at Kusadasi were remarkable.

Thank you,

Michael

otumay

Michael, I get an error message when I try to go to the gallery address you provided.
Best,
Osman