The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9.2 When and What will be new?

esy0345

In three to four years, the rangefinder concept will become completely obsolete in leading edge photography, as 8 and 16 core chips will be commonplace, flash memory will be extremely cheap, and the ability to capture one to two second bursts of full frame high quality images will negate the need to capture "the shot." The concept of waiting for the buffer to clear after only 8 shots will seem as outdated as a Commodore 64 computer. One will simply review the burst of images to select the best one and crop as needed. Live view with only milliseconds of delay through both a viewfinder or screen while directly viewing the field will be the norm. No mirror will be necessary. 3-D cameras are currently on the market, and are the next step in consumer R&D. The lenses will survive, and Leica could easily develop an assisted or automatic focusing system with confirmation, but the M series bodies will be technologically left behind as cameras like RedOne will become commonplace, much more compact, and automatic. Leica will have to change soon as they have with the X1, which can produce IQ that exceeds the M9 images in some parameters now. While the use of the M camera makes photography fun and interesting, the ability to capture the best images consistently will be with "machine gunning."

ptomsu

Workshop Member
In three to four years, the rangefinder concept will become completely obsolete in leading edge photography, as 8 and 16 core chips will be commonplace, flash memory will be extremely cheap, and the ability to capture one to two second bursts of full frame high quality images will negate the need to capture "the shot." The concept of waiting for the buffer to clear after only 8 shots will seem as outdated as a Commodore 64 computer. One will simply review the burst of images to select the best one and crop as needed. Live view with only milliseconds of delay through both a viewfinder or screen while directly viewing the field will be the norm. No mirror will be necessary. 3-D cameras are currently on the market, and are the next step in consumer R&D. The lenses will survive, and Leica could easily develop an assisted or automatic focusing system with confirmation, but the M series bodies will be technologically left behind as cameras like RedOne will become commonplace, much more compact, and automatic. Leica will have to change soon as they have with the X1, which can produce IQ that exceeds the M9 images in some parameters now. While the use of the M camera makes photography fun and interesting, the ability to capture the best images consistently will be with "machine gunning."
I could not disagree more - sorry!

Double Negative

Not Available
In three to four years, the rangefinder concept will become completely obsolete in leading edge photography...
I really doubt that. And if it does? I'll still use my M8. I don't need to be "leading edge" - I just need to be happy and take nice pictures. ;)

:deadhorse:

Don Hutton

Ah well, my earlier post was tongue in cheek, but clearly should not have been.

Improvements in imaging technology do not necessarily equate to an improvement in one's photographic skill... The same weaknesses of composition and technique tend to be equally obvious across all formats and mediums; and often more so with technological advancement. I've seen some amazing 35mm work and some incredibly bad 8x10 stuff. One of my favorite personal photographs was made with a Nikon D1 in 2000 - I just deleted a whole bunch of stuff I shot with my M9 this past weekend - it was garbage.

For me, one of the most refreshing things about this forum since it's inception has been the lack of trolling...

markowich

what you say is maybe true for press photography and for snap shooting. but i regularly watch artists work and i can guareantee that their approach is totally different. they in general work slowly and meticulously, certainly not machine gunning.
p

jonoslack

In three to four years, the rangefinder concept will become completely obsolete in leading edge photography,
Surely in 'leading edge photography' the rangefinder became completely obsolete with the indroduction of the SLR - hmmm 50 years ago.

While the use of the M camera makes photography fun and interesting, the ability to capture the best images consistently will be with "machine gunning."
But every nuance / expression / decisive moment requires different composition and some thought . . .. actually perhaps I should say that it MAY require different composition and thought. Machine-gunning is relying on luck to get this right. There will always be a place for contemplative image making, even if it isn't on a rangefinder camera.

The idea that pointing a camera in the general direction of something, capturing a stream of Very HD video, then selecting and cropping is a substitute for this composition and thought seems rather sad.

Mind you - I guess you may be right for journalistic purposes, but I'm quite certain that you aren't right for 'artistic' photography.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I would LOVE an M9+ with one little electronic bit: a focus confirm beep or light that just picked the peak contrast point in the focus patch (a crutch for my poor eyesight)
AND
ditch the mechanical shutter and go to a pure electronic shutter, and please, no "shutter sound" simulation, just a touch of tactile feedback on the shutter button.

ok, sure whatever else the latest "date of the art" sensor might have to offer.

Then I am buying back in.
-bob