The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The hottest day of the year - M9 and classic lenses wide open

jonoslack

Hi there - it was hot today (at least by our standards). I amused myself taking shots around the garden with an M9 and:
new 35 'lux
50 'lux asph
75 'cron asph
Most of them are shot wide open (some at 'pulled' 80 ISO).
warm flower shots

Knorp

Hi there - it was hot today (at least by our standards). I amused myself taking shots around the garden with an M9 and:
new 35 'lux
50 'lux asph
75 'cron asph
warm flower shots
Excellent series shot in your grand tradition, Jono.
Very enjoyable and a feel already much better now :)
Don't know why but I like #29 a lot: nice and simple.

That heat of late I can't stand well and makes me feel rather poorly, barely taking my M out.
Though I briefly tried my new m43 P/L 45/2.8 macro lens yesterday, but no fun.

Ok, got to stay cool now for tonight's match ... :(

Thanks for sharing and all the best.

BishopB

Nice work, Jono! All are well done but I really enjoy #20 the side view of the Sunflower. Thanks for posting!

jonoslack

HI There
Sorry for the delay in replying (work dammit!)
Matt - thank you - we have a fen full of such shots . . . the trouble is that if you stop to catch them, then the mosquitos get you!

Peter - I can wish for nothing better than bringing a smile to your face (although I might prefer it to be a wry smile very occasionally)

Osman - gentlemanly as always - thank you.

Bart - I liked 29 as well - it's rather odd throwing away so much photographic 'real estate' but I was hoping to balance the flower head with a little patch of lightened background at the top left - seems like it worked.
I guess it's cooler for you . . . . I'm sorry about the football, hard to know what to do with opposition like that. . . . . .

Ashwin - thank you . . . see above, heroism in the face of mosquitos . . and horse flies as well (ouch!).

Esy0345 - glad you like the grape leaves - definitely nothing to do with 'machine gunning' that one :)

Bishop - the sunflowers are accidental - during the hard winter we fed the birds out in the back yard, without thinking how the sunflower seeds would be taking over our flower beds 4 months later!

One of the purposes of the images was to investigate the difference in bokeh between what I guess are 3 of the 4 current leica 'standard' lenses - I've also taken some 28 'cron images as well, and will post them as a comparison if I get a chance.

Thanks for looking everyone - it seems it may turn out to be the hottest day of the year - this evening it's raining hard and down from 33 to about 18c brrrr.!

all the best

Jono, wonderful images! Who said M Leicas aren´t suitable for flower shots? Especially the Summicron 75 is a joy to use.

Returned yesterday night from a week in a summer house, no Internet, just the family and the M9...;) Just as horribly hot as you describe it, and Stockholm today is even worse.

Like you, I shot some vegetation besides our grandchildren and dogs; hope you don´t mind if I put a few up here (seeing the quality of your work, I´m probably foolhardy to do it...).

Anyway, here´s the weeds:

The dogs tried to stay wet as much as possible (the flatcoated is our neightbour´s; the cocker is my Fredde)

To make it even worse, my Tilley was pinched by a blonde lady....

All with the 75 mm.

(Seems Smugmug has some kind of problems right now; you may have to use your browser´s Reload button to see all)

jonoslack

hope you don´t mind if I put a few up here (seeing the quality of your work, I´m probably foolhardy to do it...).
Hi Per
Don't be silly! - the more pictures the better - and these are lovely. Added to which we definitely needed a blond lady in the mix :).
Anyone else who fancies chipping in, please go ahead.

Your daisies and allium and grass look pretty much like ours, and your picture is lovely.

Flatcoats are so wonderful - they seem to me to be the absolute measure of good nature (. . . erm, except Blue isn't too good when cats spit at him:eek:)

Like your neighbour's dog, ours is usually wet.

Just to keep the wet flatcoat theme going:

Hi Per
Don't be silly! - the more pictures the better - and these are lovely. Added to which we definitely needed a blond lady in the mix :).
Anyone else who fancies chipping in, please go ahead.

Your daisies and allium and grass look pretty much like ours, and your picture is lovely.

Flatcoats are so wonderful - they seem to me to be the absolute measure of good nature (. . . erm, except Blue isn't too good when cats spit at him:eek:)

Like your neighbour's dog, ours is usually wet.

Just to keep the wet flatcoat theme going:
Thank you, Jono!

While I would never swap Fredde for any other canine in the world, I´m a bit jealous of the image opportunities that Blue and Caspar seem to provide; there´s something of Laurel & Hardy about them....:thumbup: Fredde is 6 now, and mostly a sedentary middle-aged gentleman (well...:rolleyes:).

But then I´m aware it´s not the subjects only; the two-legged companion behind the camera is what really counts....:clap:

eleanorbrown

Nice Jono! Glad to see what the 50 lux can do as I finally, after months of checking , ordered one from B and H today! Eleanor

new 35 'lux
50 'lux asph
75 'cron asph
warm flower shots

jonoslack

Nice Jono! Glad to see what the 50 lux can do as I finally, after months of checking , ordered one from B and H today! Eleanor
Thank you Eleanor.
Whatever people may say about any other lens . . . . everybody seems to love the 50 'lux! I hope you don't have to wait for too long!
all the best

jonoslack

Thank you, Jono!

While I would never swap Fredde for any other canine in the world, I´m a bit jealous of the image opportunities that Blue and Caspar seem to provide; there´s something of Laurel & Hardy about them....:thumbup:
Well - they certainly provide the opportunities . . . . but keeping them in focus can be quite the problem!

Fredde is 6 now, and mostly a sedentary middle-aged gentleman (well...:rolleyes:).
Well - I know the answer to that one - Blue will be 8 in a month or so. Just buy Fredde a puppy to play with!

But then I´m aware it´s not the subjects only; the two-legged companion behind the camera is what really counts....:clap:
Well, thank you - but perhaps it's a bit of both (and some luck.)

all the best

eleanorbrown

Per, I really like all these but this one is my absolute favorite....wonderful!!! Eleanor

Jono, wonderful images! Who said M Leicas aren´t suitable for flower shots? Especially the Summicron 75 is a joy to use.

Returned yesterday night from a week in a summer house, no Internet, just the family and the M9...;) Just as horribly hot as you describe it, and Stockholm today is even worse.

Like you, I shot some vegetation besides our grandchildren and dogs; hope you don´t mind if I put a few up here (seeing the quality of your work, I´m probably foolhardy to do it...).

Anyway, here´s the weeds:

To make it even worse, my Tilley was pinched by a blonde lady....

All with the 75 mm.

(Seems Smugmug has some kind of problems right now; you may have to use your browser´s Reload button to see all)

Per, I really like all these but this one is my absolute favorite....wonderful!!! Eleanor
Thank you, Eleanor!

This little lady (my granddaughter) is a born model, she just loves to have her picture taken whenever she´s in a happy mood - and the moment after the click, she comes over and demands to see the result on the monitor. I wonder what would happen if I tried to use a film camera....

T

terryc

new 35 'lux
50 'lux asph
75 'cron asph
warm flower shots
Jono,

I see you haven't jumped on the LR3 bandwagon. After some experimentation I have decided to say with Aperture 3. :)

As always great shots.

Cheers, Terry.