The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Name that lens

Zlatko Batistich

This is the result of the Leica 75mm Summilux
I think it is too creamy

I do not think there is a solution for M
The photos in the first post look very much like the Canon 85/1.2. Your shot from the Leica 75/1.4 looks similar, and would be the closest equivalent on the M8. Keep in mind that the creaminess of the background depends on the distance to the subject and to the background and the aperture used. The original photos were definitely not made with a wide angle lens. Best guess would be 85 (or near it) on a full-frame. The height to width ratio suggests medium format, but that could just be cropping. If medium format, than 100mm or a little longer.

Stuart Richardson

As an aside, does anyone else find those photos noticeably unpleasant? That look does not work for me at all...not only the depth of field but the color/contrast processing. Not my thing!

Don Hutton

As an aside, does anyone else find those photos noticeably unpleasant? That look does not work for me at all...not only the depth of field but the color/contrast processing. Not my thing!
I agree - just not an aesthetic which works for me. I actually really dislike blur in the foreground... While I find a blurred background can pick a subject up, IMO, a blurred foreground pushes it back.

kermaier

Maybe a vintage Nikkor 50/1.4 S.C? They lose RF coupling at about 1m, but will focus down to 18 inches. In addition to very shallow DOF wide open at closest focus, the Nikkor is a Sonnar formula with field curvature that produces "focus fall-off" as you move away from the center. (The newer Zeiss C-Sonnar may be capable of similar results - dunno what it's closest focus distance is.)
::Ari

kermaier

I kind of like it! It reminds me of a series of portraits I saw once, that were done using a Rolleiflex TLR with Rolleinar close-up lenses.

Ari