The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can someone else pipe in?

gogopix

Subscriber
It's been almosty a week. The LAST R post was mine.

I hate beingfthe last! :angel:

The R crowd can't be THAT bashful!

Victor

doug

Lots of barn repair work this week, not much time for photography :banghead:

robsteve

Subscriber
I am taking the DMR to the San Juan workshop this week. I should have some new DMR shots in a couple days.

Robert

dhsimmonds

My DMR battery charger has given up on me and currently on holiday with Leica Camera Ltd at Milton Keynes.

It's odd but I have two batteries for the DMR, a fair few SD cards, several camera bags, lots of lenses but have always taken the charger for granted!

It gave all the signs of still working with both green and red lights indicating it charging etc, but both batteries were dead when I wanted to use the camera!

I have now bought another charger and so I shall have two when mine or it's replacement gets back from Leica. A lesson here I think! The batteries charged OK with the new charger.

fotografz

My DMR battery charger has given up on me and currently on holiday with Leica Camera Ltd at Milton Keynes.

It's odd but I have two batteries for the DMR, a fair few SD cards, several camera bags, lots of lenses but have always taken the charger for granted!

It gave all the signs of still working with both green and red lights indicating it charging etc, but both batteries were dead when I wanted to use the camera!

I have now bought another charger and so I shall have two when mine or it's replacement gets back from Leica. A lesson here I think! The batteries charged OK with the new charger.
What is with Leica and their chargers? I've never had any camera battery charger go bad except Leica's.

Stuart Richardson

The DMR charger comes with a cigarette lighter attachment, if that is what you mean.

In any case, I switched to Nikon not too long ago, though I still have my Leica R equipment. I will be selling most of it, but I have gained a new appreciation for the Leica lenses. The 100mm APO, 180/2.8 apo and the new 50/1.4 are so far ahead of the Nikon equivalents I have tested. With the 100mm in particular, I cannot imagine a better lens -- it is built like a tank, extraordinarily sharp from 2.8 on, focuses down to 1:2, has great bokeh, is not too big and heavy. It is just fantastic. I am interested to see how the new Zeiss ZF 100/2 compares. Anyway...I hope this piping helps.

dhsimmonds

What is with Leica and their chargers? I've never had any camera battery charger go bad except Leica's.
My Panaleica LC1 charger is just fine after receiving twice the use and abuse that the DMR charger has undergone. Hopefully I will end up with two, one for the car (12v), the other for mains use.

robmac

I thought my ears were burning...

The 100 ZF is a great lens - sharp WO, nice bokeh, well built and for a Nikon shooter a sweet alternative but vs. the 100 APO:

- CA on OOF edges and off reflective surfaces until stopped down a couple (see www.diglloyd.com blog)
- Sample variation can give you a VERY stiff focus action. No, I mean a stick in cement STIFF; so test before you buy.
- The aperture ring is skinny and sits in a narrow valley between the body and the larger taper of the lens. Accessing it takes skinny fingers. With gloves it would be very awkward.
Not such a big deal if a Nikon shooter, an irritant when using on a Canon body where you're stopping down. See www.pebbleplace.com for the 50/2 ZF review - same issue if not worse due to larger barrel of the 100.

The only complaint I have with the 100 APO (both were shot on a 1Ds2 BTW) is the tendency to over-do reds. Not such a big deal if shooting macro, but can require some de-sat work in post if used as a normal lens for some subjects.

For the price of a used APO vs. the ZF, the APO is the better lens. Smaller, APO, little if any sample variation, cheaper, no aperture ring weirdness if using stopped down, sharp from WO thru the range at all distances, etc. etc. It's a 'legendary' all-round optic for a reason. That said, you can't use it on a D3 and you loose that uber-thin DoF from that extra stop.

Stuart Richardson

Thanks for the responses guys. Bondo was kind enough to lend me his brand new 100/2, so I will give it a try later this week. In the mean time, here are two of my favorite from the 100mm apo...I must note that I did not see any problem with the reds, but I only shot it on the DMR and on film.

And the crop...nice and sharp.

And just a general landscape:

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It's been almosty a week. The LAST R post was mine.

I hate beingfthe last! :angel:

The R crowd can't be THAT bashful!

Victor
Victor - I posted one in the DMR Image Thread, sorry to leave you hanging for so long! :)