The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Lens Value -

edmund

What do you all think of this article: http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/cosina.htm

Do Leica lenses really see that much appreciation in value?

Ken definitely undervalued the M8.2!

"The Leica M8 came out in 2006, and was replaced by the M8.2 in 2008. As I write this, the M8.2 costs $6,000, but in two more years, good luck fetching $3,000 for it used. In five years, when hopefully Leica has a full-frame M9, the M8.2 will probably be worth a lot less than a 1954 M3, or about $800."

tom in mpls

Hmmm...one sure way to get some people here exercised is to mention Ken.

Current M lenses will continue to appreciate only so long as there is a strong presence of a manual focus digital system from Leica. The lens values were languishing until the 8 came out, as interest in film is not strong enough to maintain a vibrant Leica market. Lenses may fall in value again if Leica were to develop an AF system, but I don't think they have the R&D capability to pull that off. But if they DID, then once again the current M lenses will decline. If Leica cannot maintain a viable MF rangefinder, lenses will still be used with adapters on other cameras, but I am certain this will not permit the lenses to appreciate.

dseelig

Last year before the m9 came out used 50 asph summiluxes were selling used for arpundf 1900. Now with the m9 out it is 3300 or so. When the m8 was out with the crop factor the 50 lux was not an in demand lens.