The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 covering: different on the black vs steel grey?

rchisholm

Hello! Quick question before I jump into M9 ordering. On the Leica site, and on the commercial vendor sites, there appears to be a difference in the black camera covering (which appears to be a "rougher" "bumpier" type griptac) versus the steel grey (which looks, to me, to be more like the original M8 covering). Could owners comment please? Thanks -rob

Hello! Quick question before I jump into M9 ordering. On the Leica site, and on the commercial vendor sites, there appears to be a difference in the black camera covering (which appears to be a "rougher" "bumpier" type griptac) versus the steel grey (which looks, to me, to be more like the original M8 covering). Could owners comment please? Thanks -rob
That´s correct.

FWIW, I chose black both because I felt the grey looked tacky and because the black felt grippier in my hands. Instead, after 6 months I see beginning brassing on some edges.....

jaapv

Subscriber Member
It is not expensive, nor difficult, to change the covering entirely to your taste, using Cameraleather material

dannh

It really is a personal choice, but similar to you I was concerned about the difference. In the end I went with black after seeing a grey model in person. I didn't like the grey as much in person and liked the feel of the black cover.

Others have said exactly the opposite though, so hopefully you can check them out in person.

dseelig

I have both so I can reach in my bag and know where my 35 m lux is . I like the gray better but prefer the leather on the black sometime I will change out the cover on my gray. My black is starting to brass up but it is the older of my two bodies.
David

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

Yup, my black is beginning to brass up as well. I would love to get a grey someday as well and keepy my MATE attached to it permanently....but we'll see.