The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 vs D3x example

aboudd

I was shooting along the Potomac River last week and took these two images,
one with the D3x, Zeiss 85MM and the other with the M9 and an older pre-pre-asph 90MM Summicron. The photos were taken 17 minutes apart, so the angle of the sun changed a bit. I think I like the skin tones and the background as rendered by the Leica better. I think the buildings as rendered by the Nikon might be more neutral. I think the Leica may have a bit more punch, but I'd love everyone's thoughts.

6:45 was the Nikon
7:02 was the Leica

Last edited:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Honestly Aboudd -and please don't take this as offensive- in my eyes this a typical example of pointless comparison. Neither subject, IQ or methodology seem adequate enough to come to any kind of conclusion.

I'm sincerely sorry to say this, because you take so many great photos (really! :)) that your input would be very valuable for those who are interested in such tests.

Then of course the processing is another huge issue.... RAW conversion in particular. In most cases best results are clearly not achieved with the same software with these two bodies.

A couple of "classic links" comparing a couple of files from the two bodies in controlled conditions:
Erwin Puts : http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/camera/page155/m9part2.html
Noise: http://www.lenstip.com/1757-news-Leica_M9_and_its_full_frame_competitors_-_RAW_comparison.html

Sounds like in too many cases no one care enough about trying to match the respective lens characteristics or at least comparable performance -e.g. the second link uses a Summicron and a... 50 1.8D (!).

Overall, from the multiple files i see and use all the time, i'd say that the M9 and the D3X are equally great, and that IMHO beside the technical aspects all comparisons are moot simply because of the rangefinder (+ MF) nature of the Leica... both excellent DSLRs (in fact, "terrific" would be more appropriate), just probably for different purposes and/or users.

(typically, i'd love to own a M9 with a couple of lenses... but it would be unjustifiable for work)

otumay

Aboudd: While looking and comparing those shots, my hi-fi days came to my mind. We spent very enjoyable hours comparing various components, trying to hear the slightest sonic difference between them. (Our blind comparisons usually gave hilariously perverted results, a little bit due to the considerable amount of wine consumed throughout.)

But in the end, everybody returned to his (hi-fi is inexplicably a male-dominated passion) preferred setup, even though they admitted that component B gave more detail in the mid-bass than their choice brand.

When I started taking digital photographs and buying better and better equipment, I tried to make these comparisons with friends who had the other brands. Looking back, I now see that none mattered; my choices were infinitely personal and subjective.

So, coming to your question; any preference I may offer will be personal. What I like is what I prefer, and I think this goes for most of us. After all, we are not equipment designers, merely users who derive huge amount of pleasure from using them.

This is in no way a discouragement for conducting technical comparisons, only a personal view of mine that I wanted to share with you.

Kind regards,
Osman

aboudd

Hi Gang,

The hi fi reference was the most relevant to me. This wasn't a bench test, I wouldn't know where to start with a technical comparison and i have no desire to do so. Its just a simple field comparison. I was looking for impressions of color rendering and of course we all perceive color differently, just as we do sound. I don't think either camera is superior to the other, after all I work with both.

If I decide to do this again I'll post 100% crops.

Stuart Richardson

Again, color is so easy to adjust, I think Otumay has really hit the nail on the head here! And, man, I'd rather carry around the M9 and lens than the D3x and lens any day! But that's just me...