The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 Firmware Update 1.138

fotografz

Thank you for the alert ... updated both M9s.

The new Auto White balance may help a bit, but it is so easy to set a custom WB, that I've been doing that most of the time now.

Bug Fix for the "American" time setting is much appreciated ... I sort shots from multiple wedding cameras by time shot, and this has always been an issue. Thank you Leica.

-Marc

Seems to work well; haven´t had time to test either WB or extended review yet.

A minor nuisance: the upgrade process erased most of my personal settings for advance mode, auto review, historgram settings & c. Once I realised it had changed settings, it was easy to go through the menu and put things back where I wanted them....

And, at least I was spared these loony American time and date formats.....

D&A

Just did a quick 5 shot test of Auto WB with new firmware. Obvious far from a real comprehensive test. Test subject has always been a table top lamp containing one of those energy saving power saving lamps and tungsten light including the surrounding areas white walls too. I've used this test shot to test WB in digital cameras for past 10 years and most now handle it near perfectly.

In this particular test (others will need to be performed), not much appears to have changed in terms of WB with the new firmware compared to previous firmware...and accuracy of WB is not even close when compared to either use of the Expo disk with the M9 (pre and post firware update) or the M8.2 on auto WB (without use of Expo disk)...which does an excellent job. So it will be interesting to see what others experience is with this new firmware...as I may be premature in my assessment..unless as in the posted case in this thread, the incadecent lamp is just a small part of the frame.

*** Interesting....just after writing the above, I did a few more test shots where the light was predominantly sunlight but a small part of the room was still lit by normal incadecent bulbs. This scene also used to render too warm and inaccurate and now shows improvement. It appears though when a room is lit only by energy saving tugsten bulbs (and possibly regular incadecent bulbs) but no ambient sunlight....that this is where the M9 with new firmware doesn't appear to have changed much. The M8.2 handles this close to perfectly.

P.S. Hey Per..what do you mean "our" looney American time and date formats?....you mean like our "inches & feet" measurements? :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
P.S. Hey Per..what do you mean "our" looney American time and date formats?....you mean like our "inches & feet" measurements? :)

Dave (D&A)
Well, giving dates in the order of month, day, year seems every bit as logical and natural as keeping one´s slippers in the fridge.....:D

For inches, feet and the rest.... Let´s refrain from more of this: :deadhorse:

jonoslack

Well, giving dates in the order of month, day, year seems every bit as logical and natural as keeping one´s slippers in the fridge.....:D
:ROTFL::ROTFL:
our European dd/mm/yyyy is a bit more sensible (well, at least it isn't mad), but let's face it, it's the Japanese that have it right with: yyyy/mm/dd

otumay

I wish we could dispense with all measurements of time; no dd's, mm's or yy's, just now:lecture:

I wish we could dispense with all measurements of time; no dd's, mm's or yy's, just now:lecture:
Well, Leicas are often said to have a timeless quality.....:thumbup:

And Ansel Adams was once known for dating his letters in the style of "whotheh*llcareswhatdateitis - it´s NOW!".

So, there are some ideas for the next FW.....:rolleyes:

D&A

>>> "Well, giving dates in the order of month, day, year seems every bit as logical and natural as keeping one´s slippers in the fridge...:) " <<<

Hey Per, how did you know thats where I keep them? :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I thought that was a sign of age ... I leave stuff in the most surprising of places. Well, it's surprising when I finally find it that is. :confused:

Double Negative

Not Available
Just to add another data point... I just updated a brand new M9 with 1.116 to 1.138 and my personal settings were erased and the image counter reset to L...1.dng. Bummer, but there it is. Otherwise, the update worked without a "hitch."