The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPad dng woes fix.

J

Jeff Day

Hey everyone,

Has anyone found a good solution for loading & viewing dng images onto the iPad with the camera connection kit from the M9? I was hoping someone might have found a fix by now.

Best,

Jeff

Godfrey

Has anyone found a good solution for loading & viewing dng images onto the iPad with the camera connection kit from the M9? I was hoping someone might have found a fix by now.
Interesting question ...

As best I'm aware, there is no raw image processing engine on the iPad. That means an application to display DNG files would have to rely upon extracting and displaying the JPEG preview image from the DNG, if it contains one.

I'm curious if any software to do that exists as yet, or if raw image processing services exist at all on the iPad.

Terry

The problem with the M9 as I understand it is Leica's embedded jpeg is not a very big or good file. Do a test shot of the same image as raw only and Raw+jpeg and see what the difference is when you upload to iPad.

Diane B

There aren't any RAW processing apps. The app I bought, as well as many others here, uses only the jpeg preview to process. My approach is to load to view but keep the files on the card to be uploaded to Lightroom later. I'm honestly not expecting to see any RAW processing on the Ipad. For my purposes the app gives me enough tools to process the jpegs to emailable or viewing to share on the screen. When I go to Nova Scotia in Sept we'll take our Ipads for lots of other uses plus emailing back some photos to friends but will take laptop for backup

I know that didn't help you one whit. Sorry I don't really see the Ipad for backup storage but will admit I've done a few "memory" videos with ReelDirector app that were a lot more fun to do than with Sony Vegas-- for my purposes--and then to view in the screen or share.

D&A

Terry appeas to be corrent. The embedded jpeg in DNG created files seems to be too small and the ipad renders it with low quality and if you try enlarging to fit the screen, it becomes pixelated. In contrast, a jpg embeeded with a NEF file from a Nikon DSLR, works and looks just fine. The onl;y way so far that seems to get around this is to shoot DNG+jpeg and the ipad then opens that jpeg just fine and it looks good.

Dave (D&A)

Diane B

Yes, it handles a RAW + jpeg from my m4/3rds or 5D altho' both of those have preview jpegs that are sufficiently large to work fine like the Nikon. I suspected you were talking about the M9 but don't have enough knowledge of those to have commented. The resulting jpegs do look good though on the Ipad's screen. I haven't even attempted to move uploaded files from the Ipad to my main computer. Its just easier for me to view some on the Ipad and upload directly to LR from my cards. Glad someone with understanding of the dng file size gave good advice and you can try Ipad viewing of your photos.

simonclivehughes

Another real issue with using the iPad for image viewing (which it excels at), is the staggering lack of management of the imported images. You can't delete albums or events, only individual images. This is plain stupid when dealing with lots of files.

I use mine in conjunction with a Colorspace Hyperdrive to do the actual backup duties.

Cheers,

jonoslack

Hi Jeff
It's unlikely to be fixed: not really Apple's fault. Every other RAW file i've used has a big enough jpg to be useful. Leica are aware of this (Oh Yes!).

However, on the occasions when I think I'd like to use the iPad as a selection/viewing device with the camera connection kit I simply shoot RAW+jpg. It doesn't have too much hit in performance, and the iPad handles the two files as if they were one.so that you only see one, and if you delete it it deletes both.

I quite agree with Simon though. The fact that you can't clear all the files at once is crazy, and the import to Aperture where it insists on creating a new project for each day at root level is equally irritating. At least you can choose where the files go.

I still use it on trips though.

Scargos2

I would think that Apple would come out with a small Aperture program for loading and doing small corrections in an IPAD.
Apple are you listing.

D&A

I've wondered why with the M9, the embeded jpeg when shooting RAW only is of such a small size for viewing (on the ipad) (unlike Nikon's NEF files). I suspect it may be due to processing power of the camera and that by keeping the embedded jpeg small, DNG's are processed at the fastest possible speed. If the embedded jpeg was larger, then processing speeds would be much like when one shoots RAW+jpeg with the M9. Most Nikon DSLR's with their faster processors, don't take a hit, so when shooting either RAW alone or Raw+jpeg, the processing speeds seem to be about the same (or at least they do on the Nikon D3 and D300.

Dave (D&A)

I agree, some basic file handling features would make a huge difference in the usability of the iPad for photographers. I would be happy to shoot DNG + JPG in order to get proper viewing on the iPad. However, I only want to import the JPG files to the iPad and not the DNGs. I haven't found a way to do this without using a computer, which defeats the whole idea of using the iPad in lieu of a computer for travel. It is frustrating because the iPad is so close to being a really great device. If only it weren't handicapped as it is.

Mark Gowin

Godfrey

Ah, so my understanding was correct: no raw processing services. Thanks for confirming that.

What size preview, or whether to include one at all, in the DNG file is completely up to whomever decides to generate it. Or in a native raw file ... my Panasonic L1 .RAW files have no previews in them at all. So the simple solution of turning on RAW+JPEG mode for when you want to use the iPad is probably the best answer.

BTW:
Personally, I have no interest in using an iPad as an image processing device or file repository. I have other uses for it in mind. But you folks are giving me ideas about what kind of applications to develop for the iPad that others might want ... thanks again! ;-)

jonoslack

I agree, some basic file handling features would make a huge difference in the usability of the iPad for photographers. I would be happy to shoot DNG + JPG in order to get proper viewing on the iPad. However, I only want to import the JPG files to the iPad and not the DNGs. I haven't found a way to do this without using a computer, which defeats the whole idea of using the iPad in lieu of a computer for travel. It is frustrating because the iPad is so close to being a really great device. If only it weren't handicapped as it is.

Mark Gowin
Hi Mark
I think that proper processing of DNG files would be out of the question - as it is there are lots of apps which will allow you to make changes to the jpg for email and viewing purposes (and some are very good - Photogene for instance).
In the final analysis I find that if I'm on a trip the ipad is great - I import the DNG and jpg, delete the crap on the ipad and then import from the ipad on to the computer when I get home (raws only - with much of my job already done). I'm sure the import options will get better, but even now it's only a case of dragging them to where you want them after the import.

jonoslack

I've wondered why with the M9, the embeded jpeg when shooting RAW only is of such a small size for viewing (on the ipad) (unlike Nikon's NEF files). I suspect it may be due to processing power of the camera and that by keeping the embedded jpeg small, DNG's are processed at the fastest possible speed. If the embedded jpeg was larger, then processing speeds would be much like when one shoots RAW+jpeg with the M9. Most Nikon DSLR's with their faster processors, don't take a hit, so when shooting either RAW alone or Raw+jpeg, the processing speeds seem to be about the same (or at least they do on the Nikon D3 and D300.

Dave (D&A)
Hi Dave - I don't think it's anything to do with processing power . . . I think it was simply to keep the file size down, and at that point nobody was using them for anything, so it was worth it.
Just an accident, but probably not one which will get fixed.

Hey Jono,

I wouldn't dream of trying process DNGs on the iPad. It can't even handle big (e.g., 10 mb) JPGs very well. The process you describe sounds good for most applications, but it isn't practical with the S2 and it's 72 mb DNGs. I would be happy to copy reasonable sized (~2 to 3 mb) JPGs to the iPad for review and selection in the evenings and keep the DNGs on the cards for download when I return home.

Mark

jonoslack

Hey Jono,

I wouldn't dream of trying process DNGs on the iPad. It can't even handle big (e.g., 10 mb) JPGs very well. The process you describe sounds good for most applications, but it isn't practical with the S2 and it's 72 mb DNGs. I would be happy to copy reasonable sized (~2 to 3 mb) JPGs to the iPad for review and selection in the evenings and keep the DNGs on the cards for download when I return home.

Mark
oops - no, it certainly isn't okay for S2 files (to be honest, it's slow for M9 files, but a trip to the pub and some coffee usually does the trick).

D&A

Hi Jono,

I presume that the embedded jpeg that goes along (or is created) when shooting Raw with most all DSLR's, serves the purpose of having a file that can be quickly reviewed on the back LCD screen of the camera. There must be a reason why Leica's embedded jpeg is smaller than most. Thats why I assumed that it was to avoid a bottle neck or having processing times as long as when shooting RAW+jpeg (which is a bit slower than shooting Raw alone. On NIkon DSLRs (and I assume Canon's too)..the embedded jpeg is larger but at the same time, with processing power possibly greater on those cameras....procesing speed doesn't take a hit...therefore whether shooting RAw alone or RAw+Jpeg...processsing times are about the same. I can't hep but feel there was a reason why Leica kept the embedded jpg small which there also must have been a reason why Nikon's has a larger one (it must serve some purpose over a smaller one)

Dave (D&A)