The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

leica 75mm Summarit coming from Leica

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Note to self......when dreaming of a 75 lux refer back to pictures of the beast (it is huge!) :rolleyes:

Do you know how either the Summarit or the Lux compares size wise to a 75 'cron?

Terry I think the Cron and the Summarit are around the same size , maybe a touch bigger on the Cron. May have to look that one up

Guy Mancuso

Should I send you my 75/2A to include in the comparison? Would it make it there before you have to return the 'rit?
Jan if you want that would be great . i have to have the Summarit back on the 15th . So maybe Monday here in Phoenix or whatever works best for you. i maybe able to get one local also. Let me check with Jim and Linda my leica reps here in town they should have a cron. Or maybe get Leica to send me one

Guy Mancuso

LEICA SUMMARIT-M 75 mm f/2.5
11 645
For 35 mm (24 x 36 mm) : 32°, 27°, 18°,
for LEICA M8 (18 x 27 mm): 24.4°, 20.4°, 13.7°,
corresponds to a focal length of approx.
100 mm with 35 mm-format
6/4
29.9 mm
0.9 m to ∞
Combined meter/feet graduation
For 35 mm, approx. 238 x 357 mm/1:9.9,
for LEICA M8, approx. 178 x 268 mm/1:9.9
Setting/Function Preset, with click-stops,
half values available ; Lowest value 16
Leica M quick-change bayonet with 6 bit lens
identification bar code for digital M models
Non-rotating, internal thread for screw-on filters
size E46, external thread for lens hood, protection
ring for external thread included in delivery, lens
hood available as accessory
Camera viewfinder
Black anodized
approx. 60.5 mm
approx. 55 mm
approx. 345 g

Summricron 75mm F2

Angle of view (diagonal, horizontal, vertical)
Optical design
Distance setting
Diaphragm
Bayonet
Filter (type)
Lens hood
Dimensions and weight
°, °, 27°
Number of elements / groups: 7/5
Focal length: 74.98 mm
Entrance pupil: 30.1 mm (related to the first lens surface in light direction)
Focusing range: 0.7 m to Infinity
Scale: combined meter/feet-increments
Smallest object field: 169 x 254 mm
Highest reproduction ratio: 1:7
Setting / Type: Preset, with click-stops, half values available
Smallest aperture: f/16
Leica M quick-change bayonet
Internal thread for screw-on filters size E49, non-rotating
Built-in, telescopic, lockable
Length: 66.8 mm
Largest diameter: 58 mm
Weight: approx. 430 g

75mm Summilux f1.4

Optical design
Distance setting
Diaphragm
Bayonet
Filter (type)
Lens hood
Dimensions and weight
32°, 27°, 18°
Number of elements / groups: 7 / 5
Focal length: 75.0 mm
Entrance pupil: 46.1 mm (related to the first lens surface in light direction)
Focusing range: 0.75 m to Infinity
Scale: combined meter/feet-increments
Smallest object field: 192 mm x 288 mm
Highest reproduction ratio: 1:8
Setting / Type: with clickstops (from serial No. 2 048 701 onwards including half values)
Smallest aperture: f/16
Leica M quick-change bayonet
internal thread for screw-in type filters E 60
built-in, telescopic
Length: 80 mm
Largest diameter: 69 mm
Weight: approx. 560 g

sisoje

Ah crap , this is going to hurt bad. Check this out against the 75 lux . Now we are talking small here. this is a huge difference in size

I shot these at ISO 640 the whole lot. i have one that may make you run to the store FAST

Next time you shoot 2 lenses side by side to compare "bulk", please keep both on the infinity mark. It helps!:D
This way is not accurate...:rolleyes:

Guy Mancuso

Oop's was not thinking about that one. Okay take 3/8 of a inch of the top please and next time i will trim around the ears also.:D

sisoje

Hey Guy,
I see you use "steer" on the lux 75... I am considering it. What is your take on it?
On the other hand, you might sell your lux 75 and get that other tiny 75?

Guy Mancuso

Wise guy's lol. Mark please post some of your 75 summarits here, you had some real nice ones. If i got the Summarit i would not sell the Lux , i need one long 1.4 lens in my kit.

The Steer is nice and works but it could be made nicer too. Carsten hates it and I like it so personal taste on it

jonoslack

Okay have to share . Almost had a disaster. I was walking out the back door with the 2 75mm in one hand and the M8 and the 50 lux to shoot the size comparision and of course my strap was hanging down and my English Pointer Drake decided he was going where Dad was going. Drake fortunetly is a tall dog because otherwise when the damn strap went around his neck and he bolted out the door with MY M8 and 50 lux straped around his bloody neck it luckily never hit the ground and being a good boy he stopped dead in his tracks as i let out the shriek of horror the word STOP . All is well and my heart is back in place.
You have an English pointer - I have a flat coat retriever - he had been swimming - he rushed out of the pond and straight across the field with M8 and WATE and frankenfinder around his neck - probably 75 feet before I could get him to sit (also a good boy, but he was travelling fast and WET) - every leap and the damn thing hit the ground again - I had to scrape the mud off!

they build them right!

robsteve

Subscriber
You have an English pointer - I have a flat coat retriever - he had been swimming - he rushed out of the pond and straight across the field with M8 and WATE and frankenfinder around his neck - probably 75 feet before I could get him to sit (also a good boy, but he was travelling fast and WET) - every leap and the damn thing hit the ground again - I had to scrape the mud off!

they build them right!
Whay was the camera around the dogs neck and not yours? :)

eekimel

Hey Guy, Happy Birthday! (had mine on Monday). I got my 75 Summarit from B&H yesterday and took some quick knockaround images and will try and post some tomorrow or Friday. This is technically my first post, so they would be part of my second. It's truly a nice little lens -- reminds me of a 90-C I had when I had my first Leica (a CL) back in the 1990s.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks . yes please post any 75mm shots you have folks. love to see what it is made of. Start testing it tomorrow against the Lux

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Leica Summarit-M 75 mm f/2.5
approx. 60.5 mm
approx. 55 mm
approx. 345 g

Leica Summricron-M 75mm F/2
Length: 66.8 mm
Largest diameter: 58 mm
Weight: approx. 430 g

Leica Summilux-M 75mm f/1.4
Length: 80 mm
Largest diameter: 69 mm
Weight: approx. 560 g

Here are the specs of the CV 75mm to add to this:
Cosina Voigtlander 75/2.5 Color Heliar
32° diagonal angle of view
Lens mount: L Screw
Lens construction: 6 elements in 5 groups
Minimum Focus: 1.0m
Minimum Aperture: f16
Weight: 230g
Hood: Built in
Filter Size: 43mm

The CV is the lightest. I couldn't find the dimensions.

And for comparison:
Leica Summilux-R 80mm f/1.4 (same design as the M 75 Lux I believe)
Length: 69 mm
Largest diameter: 75 mm
Weight: approx. 700 g

M users have it easy. :)

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
It is so heavy that [snip]
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

I -wish- my lenses were only this heavy!

Rangefinders have such light lenses I'm eagerly hoping to pick up an M8 and a couple of lenses next year so I have a light weight travel option.

But I acknowledge, for a Rangefinder lens, it is heavy.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
You have an English pointer - I have a flat coat retriever - he had been swimming - he rushed out of the pond and straight across the field with M8 and WATE and frankenfinder around his neck -
This is why I have a cat!
Plus he's a lazy cat (a la Garfield), so I often have a static subject looking at me, and not moving very much. He's probably the one constant in all my test shots.

-C

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Chris --- With the cat comment, you've just made it 90% of the way to Leica ownership :ROTFL:

R

roubaix

OK,

That does it. I can't take it any more. I've got to get a 75 'rit.

Merry Christmas to me.

Peter:thumbup:

Guy Mancuso

Peter you really would not be sorry at all. It is damn good. See the test with the Lux on the other thread and you will see how good it really is.